Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JFK airport taxi or book a car transfer to times square

Options
  • 03-09-2018 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

Hi all,

just wondering what people would advise?
    Going to New york arriving next mon should i book a car service in advance or just get a taxi on the day is it cheaper/expensive to book a car or is a taxi just as easy
    If reccommending a car service can you advise on names etc

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

revoke12 wrote: »
    Hi all,

just wondering what people would advise?
    Going to New york arriving next mon should i book a car service in advance or just get a taxi on the day is it cheaper/expensive to book a car or is a taxi just as easy

thanks

Yellow cab have a flat fare of about $70/80

Theres a shuttle bus thats cheaper but not sure by how much

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

revoke12 wrote:
    just wondering what people would advise? Going to New york arriving next mon should i book a car service in advance or just get a taxi on the day is it cheaper/expensive to book a car or is a taxi just as easy If reccommending a car service can you advise on names etc

Would you consider using public transport? The subway is a doddle really, Google Maps will be very useful too. Check out the subway website, mbta. com, afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

rushfan wrote: »
    Would you consider using public transport? The subway is a doddle really, Google Maps will be very useful too. Check out the subway website, mbta. com, afaik.

hi yes i would its my first time to the states so not sure really of transport to and from airport is it hard to get public transport also is it more time using public transport? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The flat fare to/from Manhattan via yellow cab is $52 plus tolls, regulated by the Taxi and Limousine Commission (TLC) ...

John F. Kennedy International Airport

- The TLC has established a "Flat Fare" program for trips to and from JFK and Manhattan. The flat fare is $52.00 plus any tolls. Additionally, a $4.50 rush hour surcharge applies to all JFK flat fares on weekdays between the hours of 4 PM and 8 PM. There is no set fare to or from JFK to any point in New York City outside of Manhattan, and the metered rate applies.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/faq/faq_pass.shtml#10

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

hi yes i would its my first time to the states so not sure really of transport to and from airport is it hard to get public transport also is it more time using public transport? thanks

You'd have to lug your bags around and the trek from the subway station to your hotel might be a grind but you can get the Airtrain ($5) from JFK to Howard Beach or Jamaica and then the subway ($2.50) to the station near your hotel.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    You'd have to lug your bags around and the trek from the subway station to your hotel might be a grind but you can get the Airtrain ($5) from JFK to Howard Beach or Jamaica and then the subway ($2.50) to the station near your hotel.

staying in the edison in times square. the luggage and hawling it around is making me wonder alright would a a taxi be just easier but im still open to options

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I travel to NYC a lot and only use Uber which is particularly good in New York.

https://www.uber.com/en-IE/airports/jfk/

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I travel to NYC a lot and only use Uber which is particularly good in New York.

https://www.uber.com/en-IE/airports/jfk/

thnaks for that I have used Uber before while i was in london so thinking it would be a good option. persuming fares etc would be reletively the same with uber and a normal taxi outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Public transport out of JFK is extremely easy. get the air train to Jamaica and then either the subway or the LIRR to penn station for under 20$, air train 5$ and then Lirr 10.25 peak or cheaper off peak 7.50

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

thnaks for that I have used Uber before while i was in london so thinking it would be a good option. persuming fares etc would be reletively the same with uber and a normal taxi outside.

You will know how much Uber will cost before you book it and if more than $60 then take a yellow cab. I find Uber in NYC a lot better than hailing down yellow cabs and the cars are much nicer.

• Advertisement

BailMeOut wrote: »
    You will know how much Uber will cost before you book it and if more than $60 then take a yellow cab. I find Uber in NYC a lot better than hailing down yellow cabs and the cars are much nicer.

yes the two times i used it found it good aswell i think i will take that route or else taxi public transport is fine but maybe the next time im there i will try it as its my first time just want to get to the hotel quick and most convient way

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

If memory serves me correctly, if you buy a 7 day Metro card ( can be used on buses and subway) you will make on it after 12 uses, if you get me. Also, every journey on either bus or subway is $2.75 irrespective of the length of journey, be it 1 stop or 30 stops.

Advertisement