Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SmartThings Hub v3 and new sensors

• 03-09-2018 12:50pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So in the US a new SmartThings Hub v3 and new sensors have been released.

No sign of them in the UK yet, but interesting to see what might be coming.

The new hub looks only ok,

Pros:
    - $30 cheaper
    - Can connect to your broadband via wifi

Cons:
    - The removed the batteries, so no backup if power goes.
    - Reduced memory from 512mb to 256mb
    - But worst is that you have to delete all the devices and routines from the app and set them up again if you want to move from the old hub to the new one, what a pain!

I'd say anyone with an existing hub, this isn't an upgrade worth doing.

However the new sensors seem good, to seem to be both cheaper then before and better according to the reviews.

- Motion Sensor $25 reviews say it has much further range and better, more flexible mount
    - Multipurpose sensor $20 reviews say it has a much stronger magnet.
    - Water leak sensor $20
    - Plug $35

And a new device, a button for $15 which supports three actions, press, double press and press and hold, nice.

Now only time will tell, but I'd be surprised if these new sensors didn't fix the battery and device losing connection issues of the old sensors.

So it will be interesting to see these hit Europe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 quiggs1000

Any idea if the new sensors work with the V2 hub?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

quiggs1000 wrote: »
    Any idea if the new sensors work with the V2 hub?

With the US v2 hub, yes they do work, but I'm not certain they will work with the UK hub.

They might do and I suspect they do, but no confirmation that they do yet and definitely no guarantee if you happen to be in the US.

The sensors use zigbee, which uses the same frequency in both the US and Europe. However some of the devices in the US use a zigbee boosted mode with an amplifier, which boosts the output power to twice what is legally allowed in Europe. It is illegal to import and use boosted devices like these in Europe. Some smartthings devices are boosted, some aren't. Haven't seen any confirmation one way or the other on the new sensors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,984 ✭✭✭paulbok

Looks like my hub is banjaxed. Went offline on September 26th, think there was some Smartthings issue that day and won't stay online since.
    Have been on to their customer service for the last two weeks trying various advice they provided, but just tried a factory reset today, same happens.
    Guess I'll be putting the sensors up on adverts.:(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sorry to hear that paulbok!!!

For those interested, it looks like the new v3 hub and sensors are now available in the UK:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H9G68DW/ref=twister_B07J2VR8BH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07J36XNX7/ref=twister_B07J2VR8BH?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

paulbok wrote:
    Looks like my hub is banjaxed. Went offline on September 26th, think there was some Smartthings issue that day and won't stay online since. Have been on to their customer service for the last two weeks trying various advice they provided, but just tried a factory reset today, same happens. Guess I'll be putting the sensors up on adverts.

I'd to get onto them about mine too.

All working now though. Different issue

• Advertisement

paulbok wrote: »
    Looks like my hub is banjaxed. Went offline on September 26th, think there was some Smartthings issue that day and won't stay online since.
    Have been on to their customer service for the last two weeks trying various advice they provided, but just tried a factory reset today, same happens.
    Guess I'll be putting the sensors up on adverts.:(

There is life in the old dog yet.
    Turned out to be a problem with my ISP and the comms to the Smartthings server. Fixed itself when I switched to a static IP address from the ISP ( as well as several other internet related issues I was having).

paulbok wrote: »
    There is life in the old dog yet.
    Turned out to be a problem with my ISP and the comms to the Smartthings server. Fixed itself when I switched to a static IP address from the ISP ( as well as several other internet related issues I was having).

Was it Virgin Media's crappy implementation of IPv6?

No, local LTE provider.
    In fairness, they were very helpful in sorting it out.

Advertisement