Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless router for student accomodation

Options
  • 03-09-2018 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭

hey All,

My niece is heading abroad to study, has received info from the college about here room having wired internet(no mention of WIFI) so in order for her to have Wifi internet on her phone etc I was planning to buy her a cheap router she could setup using the wired connection.

I am just wondering if there is anything i need to look out for with this idea or any suggestions for a pretty cheap router which will do the trick for her.

She is heading off at the end of the month and I would like to have the router sourced and good to go by then.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

I'd be getting the cheapest and easiest to get hold of WiFi router. If it is for one room you really wont need anything fancy. Just something that is plug and play.

However if she is going to a University I wouldn't worry about it. Most Uni halls have Eduroam free wireless throughout them and a wireless router might not be able to plug into their network as they might require that you authenticate first with you're student ID and password in some sort of portal (Kind of like a guest wifi network).

I'd call the University first. Otherwise https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-AR-7284WNA-Wireless-Advanced-Technology/dp/B002YVSWVC/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1536071223&sr=1-1&keywords=wireless+router is the cheapest on Amazon but ask if someone you know has one laying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

She needs to read the student handbook. In some institutions its normal to BYOD like that, others its a serious discipline breach (TCD used to run Halls that way).

If permitted/expected then a C20i is a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭testtech05

ED E wrote: »
    She needs to read the student handbook. In some institutions its normal to BYOD like that, others its a serious discipline breach (TCD used to run Halls that way).

If permitted/expected then a C20i is a no brainer.

Thanks for the tip, I'll ask her to check the handbook if she got one and see if there is any mention of it there 1st and if not I'll look into the C20i.
    Thanks

Advertisement