Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation for websites for mandatory insurances

Options
  • 03-09-2018 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

Can you recommend any website where you got a decent quote for:
    1) Home insurance
    2) Mortgage protection ?

I've only started looking but the quotes I'm getting seem higher than people on here are suggesting they should be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I've only started looking but the quotes I'm getting seem higher than people on here are suggesting they should be.
    Perhaps it's your area? How close is your house to a river/stream?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

the_syco wrote: »
    Perhaps it's your area? How close is your house to a river/stream?

The house is in a rural location, not near any water or anything that would drive up insurance as far as I can tell. But the main reason for the post is to get recommandations from people about where they have gotten theirs. I'm talking to the bank soon to get their quote but so far, the cheapest has been 5-600 euro. From reading some posts on here, I was expecting lower quotes.

So far, I know of
    - chill.ie
    - insuremyhouse.ie
    plus a few individual companies..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,396 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

<SNIP> for MPP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

What rebuild value have you put in? That is going to be the big driver of cost (assuming contents are low).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Im assuming you are a first time buyer and have never had house insurance?

When entering in how many years claims free you have, what are you putting in? If you are putting in zero then you would be charged at the highest rate but most insurers have an option online to pick first time buyer that reduces the rate greatly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

What rebuild value have you put in? That is going to be the big driver of cost (assuming contents are low).

Yeah that was a big factor alright.
    Im assuming you are a first time buyer and have never had house insurance?

When entering in how many years claims free you have, what are you putting in? If you are putting in zero then you would be charged at the highest rate but most insurers have an option online to pick first time buyer that reduces the rate greatly.

Thanks.

I had a look at the Bank of Ireland site. When getting a quote, you get the quote for house value X and contents value Y. You can then change these values multiple times to see how much insurance would cost with different values. The main thing increasing my quote is the rebuild cost - on the scsi online calculator, it comes up as nearly €100,000 more than the cost of the house. However the calculator only has about six different regions on it(Dublin, Galway, North East etc), none of which apply to this property so I'm not sure how accurate it is.

Advertisement