Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contracts with New Property

Options
  • 03-09-2018 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

Hi,

My partner and I have recently agreed to purchase our first house. We went sale agreed around the middle of July and have everything in place on our side (deposit, insurance, life assurance etc). Our bank is ready to issue Mortgage funds and we are just waiting on contracts.
    Our solicitor has been chasing the vendors solicitors to get contracts finalised but is seems they themselves are chasing the vendors previous solicitors for deeds to the house. I believe the couple selling may be seperating so am unsure of what is a reasonable period of time for us to be expected to wait for paperwork when everything has been completed on our side for a number of weeks?

if anyone can offer any advice here who might have had similar situations it would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Bluezar wrote: »
    Hi,

My partner and I have recently agreed to purchase our first house. We went sale agreed around the middle of July and have everything in place on our side (deposit, insurance, life assurance etc). Our bank is ready to issue Mortgage funds and we are just waiting on contracts.
    Our solicitor has been chasing the vendors solicitors to get contracts finalised but is seems they themselves are chasing the vendors previous solicitors for deeds to the house. I believe the couple selling may be seperating so am unsure of what is a reasonable period of time for us to be expected to wait for paperwork when everything has been completed on our side for a number of weeks?

if anyone can offer any advice here who might have had similar situations it would be great

They could be looking to buy another house which causes a delay also. When we were buying we went sale agreed on our old house within 2 weeks but took us 3 months to find our new house, so contracts didn't get signed for awhile. Your at the start of the chain, but how long is the chain??

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

They could be looking to buy another house which causes a delay also. When we were buying we went sale agreed on our own house within 2 weeks but took us 3 months to find our new house, so contracts didn't get signed for awhile. Your at the start of the chain, but how long is the chain??

Hi and thanks for the response. We were originally told by our estate agent that they were buying elsewhere but that they would pick a date and stick to it to move out as they have another property elsewhere they could use while looking for a bigger house. We then heard they are separating so I am a bit worried that if that is the case they may be disputing themselves and put us on a long waiting game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Bluezar wrote: »
    Hi and thanks for the response. We were originally told by our estate agent that they were buying elsewhere but that they would pick a date and stick to it to move out as they have another property elsewhere they could use while looking for a bigger house. We then heard they are separating so I am a bit worried that if that is the case they may be disputing themselves and put us on a long waiting game.

Its tough one, you could put an end date on it yourself and if they don't sign by then, pull out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Its a little over five weeks and at height of holiday season, so I wouldn't be overly concerned.

As for a possibility that separation is involved, that makes no difference unless one of the couple want to stay in the house - and that's doubtful of they've gone through the selling process.

I'd be putting it down to holidays initially and of nothing by mid september, then give them a time frame to send the contracts.

Usually you find its a delay on a solicitors and many solicitors are notoriously slow and inefficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Its a little over five weeks and at height of holiday season, so I wouldn't be overly concerned.

As for a possibility that separation is involved, that makes no difference unless one of the couple want to stay in the house - and that's doubtful of they've gone through the selling process.

I'd be putting it down to holidays initially and of nothing by mid september, then give them a time frame to send the contracts.

Usually you find its a delay on a solicitors and many solicitors are notoriously slow and inefficient.

Thanks for that, that is what I kind of considered myself regarding holiday season as well and also a good point regarding the separation which is fair.

Our solicitor is a family member which helps so we know he has our best interest at heart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

average sales process is 3 -5 months.

So you are only 5 weeks in. These things just take time its the way it is. (not the way it has to be just is0

Advertisement