Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling in Alcudia - looking for routes please

Options
  • 03-09-2018 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    Didn't see if covered specifically in a quick search and didn't want to be resurrecting ancient threads.

I'm heading off to Alcudia with the family and have got to green light to get out on the bike for a couple of days. Have bike rental sorted but was looking for a few 60-90 km routes to program into my Garmin before I go.

If anyone had links to any suitable routes it would be appreciated. I hear there's some nice climbs to be had in the area but I've only ever cycled on the other side of the island.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

skerry wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    Didn't see if covered specifically in a quick search and didn't want to be resurrecting ancient threads.

I'm heading off to Alcudia with the family and have got to green light to get out on the bike for a couple of days. Have bike rental sorted but was looking for a few 60-90 km routes to program into my Garmin before I go.

If anyone had links to any suitable routes it would be appreciated. I hear there's some nice climbs to be had in the area but I've only ever cycled on the other side of the island.

I'm flying out Sunday and have a few nice routes done from there , can post them up later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

jamesd wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I'm flying out Sunday and have a few nice routes done from there , can post them up later.
    Legend, thanks a million. I'm sure the rental shop will have routes but its so much handier to have them programmed into the Garmin before you head off than having to stop looking at sweat soaked maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I used this website for planning mine - a lot start from Port de Pollensa but it's only 5km or so down the road from Alcudia.

I'd say a must is the lighthouse at Cap Formentor - it's around 50km return from Alcudia and a simply spectacular cycle. link here

a nice spin with a mix of quiet country lanes, a decent climb, a great coffee stop at the top of the climb and a largely descending return home. route is here

Sa Calobra is meant to be a great cycle too, we didn't manage to get that far unfortunately. we did get the shuttle bus to Andratx and cycle back to Port de Pollensa here, which was amazing but it's an all day-er between the shuttle and the cycle.

I used this website for planning mine - a lot start from Port de Pollensa but it's only 5km or so down the road from Alcudia.

I'd say a must is the lighthouse at Cap Formentor - it's around 50km return from Alcudia and a simply spectacular cycle. link here

a nice spin with a mix of quiet country lanes, a decent climb, a great coffee stop at the top of the climb and a largely descending return home. route is here

Sa Calobra is meant to be a great cycle too, we didn't manage to get that far unfortunately. we did get the shuttle bus to Andratx and cycle back to Port de Pollensa here, which was amazing but it's an all day-er between the shuttle and the cycle.
    That's great, thanks for the links. I might adjust the routes this evening on Garmin Connect so I start from hotel and have minimal chance of getting lost.

Those 2 routes look lovely. I'm hoping to get a good 3 hour spin in one of the days so they should suits fine with a bit of sightseeing en route.

I've heard of Sa Calobra but an all day-er is out of the question. Got away with it a couple of years back to cycle up Mt Teide but unless I strap the toddler to my back for the day its a non-runner this year :)

https://www.strava.com/routes/15243461
    Alcudia to Sa Calobra 54km 1 way

https://www.strava.com/routes/15243385
    Alcudia to Cap de Formentor 30km 1 way

https://www.strava.com/routes/15243335
    Alcudia to Lluc monastery 32km 1 way

https://www.strava.com/routes/15243095
    Alcudia to Old Pollenca Centre 11km 1 way

https://www.strava.com/routes/14633698
    Alcudia - lighthouse loop via Old Pollenca 86km

https://www.strava.com/routes/15245921
    Alcudia to Sa Calobra and BACK 114km

https://www.strava.com/routes/15245790
    Valldemossa to Alcudia 100km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭uncle-mofo

Check out this route on Strava: https://www.strava.com/routes/1334846?utm_source=com.google.android.apps.docs&utm_medium=referral — Alcudia - Port Alcudia - Can Picafort - Sa Pobla - Buger - Campanet - Moscari - Selva - Caimari - Col de Sa Batalla - Lluc - Col de Femenia - Pollenca - Cala San Vicente - Port Pollenca - Alcudia

I did this one at the start of August from Port Pollenca. The climb to Lluc was very tough in the heat but would be lovely if it has cooled down a bit since.

Lads thanks so much for all the routes and links. Have more than enough options there so have tweaked a couple to foolproof so they leave from the hotel door :)

@Uncle-mofo - thank looks like a perfect runner for my longer route so gonna do that one on the first day and see how I get on. Restricted to max 3 hrs so that should do nicely.

Some nice shorter jaunts there too. Nearly forgot I had to download basemaps for the area but all sorted now and should be good to go.

Thanks again lads.

on uncle mofo's route, in case of any doubt my advice would be to do it in the same direction as that Strava link. for me the Col de Sa Batalla is one of the most enjoyable climbs I've done, while the descent down the Col de Femenia is fantastic, once you get over the couple of humps at the start of the 'descent'!

don't forget the coffee shop / restaurant at the top of Col de Sa Batalla, the cake there is famous and rightly so!

Col de Sa Batalla

Col de Femenia

last thing, early morning is always a good time to head out, before it gets too warm and also before traffic gets too heavy. this applies in particular on the way out to Cap Formentor if doing that one.

on uncle mofo's route, in case of any doubt my advice would be to do it in the same direction as that Strava link. for me the Col de Sa Batalla is one of the most enjoyable climbs I've done, while the descent down the Col de Femenia is fantastic, once you get over the couple of humps at the start of the 'descent'!

don't forget the coffee shop / restaurant at the top of Col de Sa Batalla, the cake there is famous and rightly so!

Col de Sa Batalla

Col de Femenia

last thing, early morning is always a good time to head out, before it gets too warm and also before traffic gets too heavy. this applies in particular on the way out to Cap Formentor if doing that one.
    Super, thanks for that. I have the route planned for what I think is the correct direction. Is Col de Sa Batalla the climb as you approach Luc from a southerly direction? Had a look on street view on Google maps last night and looks stunning.

Plan is to get out as early as I can and hopefully some time for some cake at that cafe then :)

Super, thanks for that. I have the route planned for what I think is the correct direction. Is Col de Sa Batalla the climb as you approach Luc from a southerly direction? Had a look on street view on Google maps last night and looks stunning.

Plan is to get out as early as I can and hopefully some time for some cake at that cafe then :)

yep that's the one, the climbing start in earnest from Caimari.

so much of the island is stunning for cycling, even the quiet country roads (for example from Campanet to Selva) that get you to Caimari are beautiful. we cycled around there on our 3rd day, having done Cap Formentor and Andratx to Port de Pollensa the previous 2 days (both staggeringly beautiful) and yet liked that area just as much.

• Advertisement

yep that's the one, the climbing start in earnest from Caimari.

so much of the island is stunning for cycling, even the quiet country roads (for example from Campanet to Selva) that get you to Caimari are beautiful. we cycled around there on our 3rd day, having done Cap Formentor and Andratx to Port de Pollensa the previous 2 days (both staggeringly beautiful) and yet liked that area just as much.
    I stayed in the Southern part of the Island a few years back and did a few routes along the West Coast by Andraxt, Estellences and Puigpuyent. Beautiful scenery and road surfaces were great. Plenty of nice little swithcbacks and tunnels.

So I managed to get my 2 spins in as planned. Did Uncle-Mofo's suggested route for a nice 80km spin through the countryside taking in small towns and farmland and the highlight being the climb around Lluc and a cheeky espresso at the top.

For the second day I changed my plans last minute to take in the route from Alcudia to Cap de Formentor lighthouse as suggested by Jamesd and so glad I did. Absolutely beautiful scenery on the way to the lighthouse and stunning view once I got there.

Couple of pics attached below. Obligatory bike pic included which I rented from Sportbequi in Alcudia which I would highly recommend.

Thanks again for all the route suggestions folks. Was great to have the routes programmed into the Garmin before I went ahead of time meaning I could enjoy the scenery and not worry about getting lost.461493.jpg461494.jpg

Just back myself yesterday , did 115km Sa Calobra spin , then Alcudia to Lighthouse twice (60km) as just love that route.

Advertisement