Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best way to run SQL Server from Chromebook and Linux

• 03-09-2018 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

I have a dual boot laptop that has Windows 10 with Ubuntu 16.4 installed also.

The constant Windows 10 updates are eating into my data plan so I'm going to either uninstall Windows 10 and use only Linux or sell my laptop and get a Chromebook and then use SQL on Linux or Chromebook.

My problem is that I need to use SQL server Express.

Im aware of some options for using SQL on Linux and on Chromebooks but am not sure which is best.

One option I recently seen is that SQL 2017 has been made available for Linux but must be run from the cmd line. I'm not sure how much of a problem this would be.

Another option is to use Azure cloud service that allows SQL for Linux and Windows.

Another is using Windows in a VM in VirtualBox on Linux and running SQL from Windows

I think Crossover App can be used to get Windows Apps running on Chromebooks but Im not sure if SQL will work.

Can anyone advise on what the best solution would be.

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭henryforde80

Firstly what specs is current laptop? Ram, CPU etc, SSD etc.

Is your laptop running Windows 10 home edition or Windows 10 Professional/enterprise.
    If professional/enterprise You could just enable Hyper V and run SQL server express as a virtual machine. As far as I know but could be wrong that SQL server express won't run on a chrome book and generally underpowered devices anyway. Also check your bios to ensure your laptop allows virtualization and the feature is turned on.

If running home edition download professional from Microsoft website and install replacing home edition and enable hyper v. There's keys available online from a tenner.

Also they don't deactivate as far as I'm aware if you don't have a license key, just a watermark in the lower right corner

You can also disable windows updates and just update the laptop when you are on a proper home broadband connection

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Firstly what specs is current laptop? Ram, CPU etc, SSD etc.

Is your laptop running Windows 10 home edition or Windows 10 Professional/enterprise.
    If professional/enterprise You could just enable Hyper V and run SQL server express as a virtual machine. As far as I know but could be wrong that SQL server express won't run on a chrome book and generally underpowered devices anyway. Also check your bios to ensure your laptop allows virtualization and the feature is turned on.

If running home edition download professional from Microsoft website and install replacing home edition and enable hyper v. There's keys available online from a tenner.

Also they don't deactivate as far as I'm aware if you don't have a license key, just a watermark in the lower right corner

Specs are
    Hp G6 2205sa, Windows 10 Home, 4gb ram, 500gb HD, Intel I3 2.4ghz

When you say "If professional/enterprise You could just enable Hyper V and run SQL server express as a virtual machine" do you mean I could run SQL as a VM in Linux using hyper v.?

Is it legal to install Pro with a 10euro license key

I thought I didn't have a choice with Windows 10 updates. I will try that but I depend on tethering my phone to access Internet so security might be a risk if not updating.

Thanks for helping

There's a couple of versions of Windows 10 operating system

Home edition - Does not support Hyper V ( I would think you have this one)
    Professional (supports hyper-v)
    Enterprise (supports hyper-v)

Hyper V is a program that you enable to run virtual machines on Windows 10. It comes built in. I would throw the idea of a Chromebook out the window as very underpowered devices and pretty 85 per cent sure you can't run SQL server on them.

If your really relying on phone data for Windows update just disable Windows updates and get them updated when you can on a proper broadband connection. You can also disable automatic updates for applications as well.

If you have SQL server currently installed on your laptop I would just leave it at that to be honest and disable updates.

There's a couple of versions of Windows 10 operating system

Home edition - Does not support Hyper V ( I would think you have this one)
    Professional (supports hyper-v)
    Enterprise (supports hyper-v)

Hyper V is a program that you enable to run virtual machines on Windows 10. It comes built in. I would throw the idea of a Chromebook out the window as very underpowered devices and pretty 85 per cent sure you can't run SQL server on them.

If your really relying on phone data for Windows update just disable Windows updates and get them updated when you can on a proper broadband connection. You can also disable automatic updates for applications as well.

If you have SQL server currently installed on your laptop I would just leave it at that to be honest and disable updates.

Is it legal to install pro and use the cheap license fees found on the internet?

Does hyper V make dual booting unnecessary. I can just run Linux in hyper v on windows?

• Advertisement

Is it legal to install pro and use the cheap license fees found on the internet?

Does hyper V make dual booting unnecessary. I can just run Linux in hyper v on windows?

Yep, you can run Linux on it so no need for dual boot. I think even you don't need to get a license key for Windows 10 but will have a watermark in the bottom right corner of the screen saying windows is unregistered.

And yes they are legal

Yep, you can run Linux on it so no need for dual boot. I think even you don't need to get a license key for Windows 10 but will have a watermark in the bottom right corner of the screen saying windows is unregistered.

And yes they are legal

Can you recommend a site to get the licence key. I want to make sure it's genuine.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Claraa12

Hi guys, My name is clara.😊

Thank you so much for the information.

Advertisement