Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free food in the Irish countryside!

• 03-09-2018 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭

The hedgerows are absolutely teeming with big fat sweet Blackberries this Autumn! The warm summer has given us a bumper crop of delicious goodness.
    The first crop is ripened now but I'd expect 4-6 weeks of excellent yields.
    They're high in beneficial vitamins and minerals, fiber, and antioxidants.

The apple crop also seems to be excellent this autumn. Is there anything better than a blackberry and apple tart?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Mmmm pesticides :)

Full of lovely pesticidey goodness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

The hedgerows are absolutely teeming with big fat sweet Blackberries this Autumn! The warm summer has given us a bumper crop of delicious goodness.
    The first crop is ripened now but I'd expect 4-6 weeks of excellent yields.
    They're high in beneficial vitamins and minerals, fiber, and antioxidants.

The apple crop also seems to be excellent this autumn. Is there anything better than a blackberry and apple tart?

You've been watching too much Rick Stein

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I only have to go up to the top of my garden for blackberries but yep there's plenty if your know where to look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,112 ✭✭✭✭listermint

D3V!L wrote: »

No one sprays pesticides on the hedgerows around my place. Why would they, thats just burning money...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Is there anything better than a blackberry and apple tart?

(Getttng) a rusty trombone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Have you ever had a Mizzonis after a night out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Yes, a filthy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You'll get few pesticides on blackberries or rose hips in the hedgerows around here.

Just avoid blackberries growing along a road, as they pick up a lot of grit and dirt from passing traffic.

Blackberries are only now really coming into their own and the crop is excellent. The one's we picked over the past two weeks were not as sweet and had high pectin levels - good for setting jam but a tad bitter.

The Rose Hip crop is looking good but we'll leave them until a touch of frost sweetens them and gives the vitamin C a boost.

Hazelnuts are plentiful this year too.

We've cropped the earlier apples and are now preparing for the later one's to ripen.

Jams are made. Apples have been used for tarts and crumbles that are in the freezer. The next apples will be stewed and frozen for winter. Some apples are going for pressing and the juice will be good for months ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Signs of a very bad winter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'd avoid picking blackberries from the roadside.

• Advertisement

Signs of a very bad winter

Signs of a good spring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Looks like a good sloe crop as well for those into making sloe gin such as myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

The bastard wasps got all my apples. It's disgusting up there. Every single apple has a wasp dug into it. Birds robbed my blackberries and strawberries. Dunno where you're all from with your polite animals not taking your food.

Dying to go get hazelnuts. Well my plan is to send the little fella off with his grandad. It's not late enough in the year yet though, right?

Rose hips? They're edible?

Whispered wrote: »
    The bastard wasps got all my apples. It's disgusting up there. Every single apple has a wasp dug into it. Birds robbed my blackberries and strawberries. Dunno where you're all from with your polite animals not taking your food.

Dying to go get hazelnuts. Well my plan is to send the little fella off with his grandad. It's not late enough in the year yet though, right?

Rose hips? They're edible?

Rose hips are an excellent source of Vitamin C and make a great syrup - lots of recipes online. Use wild Dog Rose as opposed to garden varieties for the best flavour and to avoid any sprays that may have been used on them. The longer they are left to ripen, the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

We picked a few kilos of blackberrys out of the fields behind the house and they're currently fermenting away in the utility room, should have 6 bottles of blackberry wine by Christmas for the price of a €2 packet of yeast! :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Rose hips are an excellent source of Vitamin C and make a great syrup - lots of recipes online. Use wild Dog Rose as opposed to garden varieties for the best flavour and to avoid any sprays that may have been used on them. The longer they are left to ripen, the better.

They're very astringent, though, so they're best eaten in very limited amounts if you've problems with constipation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Our apple trees produced a bumper crop this year. All picked last weekend and are being pressed for cider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I thought I'd stumbled into River Cottage!!! :D Someone please tell me where the best hazelnuts are in Dublin, I fancy making my own Nutella! I picked a lot of blackberries a few weeks ago and trying to be clever I made frozen blackberry yogurt.......I shouldn't have! Yogurt didn't like being frozen. frown.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Our local park which backs on to the river was/is chock a block with big fat blackberries on huge brambles.. Lots of people with big containers down there getting it all in!

One person gave me a tip.... pick the berries higher up. That's because dogs pee on the lower ends, and other night creatures can do the same.

Good advice!

.....One person gave me a tip.... pick the berries higher up. That's because dogs pee on the lower ends, and other night creatures can do the same.

Good advice!

Well known old advice, but good advice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Yes wonderful crop this year - I have already made some jam the first batch was a tad bitter but perfect as jam. Hazelnuts here too mind you most are out of reach, juicy rose hips and bitter sloe - haven't seen a crop this abundant in years.

Whisper in my ear.......where are the hazelnuts? Please. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Our local park which backs on to the river was/is chock a block with big fat blackberries on huge brambles.. Lots of people with big containers down there getting it all in!

One person gave me a tip.... pick the berries higher up. That's because dogs pee on the lower ends, and other night creatures can do the same.

Good advice!

You've just to hope people don't have a high aim!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Whisper in my ear.......where are the hazelnuts? Please. :)

To quote a poet of these parts:
    "I went down to the hazelwood because a fire was in my head... "

I'm sure other counties have native Hazel's - the hedgerows here certainly do.

Does that help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Free food in the countryside!

Yes there is....

Top-Gear-Season-9-Episode-3-34-f61d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Adam261

Guys any ideas on how to cook rabbit meat?i've just been given a few locally shot,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

See if she's on Twitter and ask her....... :p

image.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Love the free countryside food myself
    Just had a seagull pie for a snack .

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭The Bollocks

Free milk in the Irish countryside! too

Go into any field with cows in it and just start milking away.

Ask my bollocks Bear Grills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

The fields are filled with cattle and sheep. Get in there and get yourself one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

The fields are filled with cattle and sheep. Get in there and get yourself one.

Judging by your name I think you'd make them very nervous.
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Adam261 wrote: »
    Guys any ideas on how to cook rabbit meat?i've just been given a few locally shot,
    You can find good videos on Youtube on how to joint them. It's a few years since I've gotten one but I pan-fried the loins and stewed the legs. Be aware that it's a seriously dry meat; there's no fat on a rabbit.
    Sleepy wrote: »
    We picked a few kilos of blackberrys out of the fields behind the house and they're currently fermenting away in the utility room, should have 6 bottles of blackberry wine by Christmas for the price of a €2 packet of yeast! :)

Recipe please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It is safe to eat blackberries from the roadside. I often do it when I am out cycling and I am still alive. I always thought the advice not to do so was suspect, but I never checked until now.

https://www.bangor.ac.uk/news/university/student-project-shows-it-is-safe-to-eat-roadside-blackberries-15772

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Took my kids picking black berries at the weekend only half the berries made it home but they had a ball. Where I am there are lots in the park but they need another while, they are still small and red.

Lots of Elder berries to

The small red ones will probably not get any riper at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭pawrick

picked some blackberries last week, far more are ripe this week but the starlings are hitting them hard around me.

Plumb trees around me are also ripe lots of apples too but my own apple trees did bad again this year, I should really look after them properly or replace them with more plumbs.

my grapes are also looking good, fingers crossed noting eats them before they are fully ripe and i might get my first bunch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Mmmm pesticides

Why the fook do you think BlackBerry bushes would be sprayed with 'pesticides????

It's not like people think 'oooh look - there's bugs on them there backberry bushes - I have to Kill them!'

Blackberry bushes are not spayed with pesticides to Kill bugs' The biggest issue is with Blackberry bushes along the sides of the road exposed to exhaust gases with and ****e thrown up by passing vehicles.

gozunda wrote: »
    Why the fook do you think BlackBerry bushes would be sprayed with 'pesticides????

It's not like people think 'oooh look - there's bugs on them there backberry bushes - I have to Kill them!'

Blackberry bushes are not spayed with pesticides to Kill bugs' The biggest issue is with Blackberry bushes along the sides of the road exposed to exhaust gases with and ****e thrown up by passing vehicles.

The hedges are usually far enough away from the traffic not to suffer any pollution. Roadside verges are a refuge for plants and animals driven off agricultural fields.

The hedges are usually far enough away from the traffic not to suffer any pollution. Roadside verges are a refuge for plants and animals driven off agricultural fields.

On most roads it's not recommended to pick wild fruit as the soil and vegetation will become contaminated over time. Plus most roadside verges are cut back and intensively managed.

https://www.goodfoodireland.ie/blog/picking-wild-blackberries

Btw the majority of wild plants and animals will be found in field hedges. Most extensive forms of agriculture here don't involve driving anything anywhere. The local rabbits certainly don't live anywhere near any roadside verges - ditto most of the other wildlife.

gozunda wrote: »
    On most roads it's not recommended to pick wild fruit as the soil and vegetation will become contaminated over time. Plus most roadside verges are cut back and intensively managed.

https://www.goodfoodireland.ie/blog/picking-wild-blackberries

Btw the majority of wild plants and animals will be found in field hedges. Most extensive forms of agriculture here don't involve driving anything anywhere. The local rabbits certainly don't live anywhere near any roadside verges - ditto most of the other wildlife.

There is no scientific proof offered there to support the advice that roadside berries are polluted by traffic fumes. In the link I provided, the roadside berries were tested against shop bought berries and they were found to be safe to eat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

I use to love playing golf on the weekdays at this time of year when I was younger. The course would be quiet and I'd eat my way around the golf course, stopping at every blackberry hot spot on the course.

They're much nicer wild - far less uniform. You'd get the really fat, juicy sweet ones, or the really tangy ones. God I love them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

There is no scientific proof offered there to support the advice that roadside berries are polluted by traffic fumes. In the link I provided, the roadside berries were tested against shop bought berries and they were found to be safe to eat.

The only problem with roadside berries is tha risk of getting mowed down by speeding traffic while picking them.

Errh yes there are. Both soils and roadside vegetation are subject to large quantities of vehicular emissions etc - for example see:

http://publications.naturalengland.org.uk/publication/133002

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/286949819_Heavy_metal_contamination_in_roadside_soil_and_vegetation_A_review

Lots of other in-depth research out there.
    Tbh I wouldn't hold an undegraduate end of year research as being the full picture either.

And personal anecdote is grand but my 82 year old uncle who smokes fifty fags a day ain't going to prove that smoking isn't bad for you health!

There is not antidote to smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Around my way, one can find at various times of the year the following wild fruit and nuts: blackberries, strawberries, gooseberries, raspberries, frockens/bilberries, cherries, crab apples, sloes and hazelnuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

listermint wrote: »
    No one sprays pesticides on the hedgerows around my place. Why would they, thats just burning money...

but if you pick them off the hedges next to roads they'll be covered with dirt.
    I grew up in the countryside and we'd pick blackberies but the ones on the road were always filthy. Just as well every single hedge has them.

You can rob honey from bumblebee's nests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I don't know if anyones mentioned it but always soak the fruit in salty water. Since pesticides aren't used on it, there will be little maggots sometimes. Soak the fruit in salty water and it will kill any of the little feckers. It'll also make them leave the fruit.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Even better, use sodium bicarbonate/bread soda. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Made a few bottles of elderberry gin last night. They'll be given as presents and drank over the Christmas

• Advertisement
Advertisement