Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this Dublin team the greatest in Gaelic football history

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Has a team ever been broken up because they had too great a population to pick from? In soccer? In rugby? Cricket even?

I never heard this argument when Wales were playing SA in the rugby, or the Netherlands v Brazil in soccer. Seems like it's an argument that gets presented only really in the case of Dublin, and specifically only really following the last 4 AI's. Wasn't much of an issue prior to that.

Do we break up Cork too for the Munster championship? Not really fair on smaller counties if we don't? Galway too seem a bit too population heavy for their neighbours

Should the Berlin Wall be rebuilt if Germany win another WC? Maybe avoid Korean reunification in case of them becoming too strong a side. Luckily the USSR has already been broken up with this in mind, probably by a disgruntled Mayo man with this kind of injustice in mind

Anyone got any information on the local council structure of previous Eurovision winners? I think we've been done out of a few titles there too

Far too soon in my view to be talking of splitting Dublin, but if they were to win say 8 in a row, which is a distinct possibility, then it might be time to talk about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭rm75

robbiezero wrote: »
    Far too soon in my view to be talking of splitting Dublin, but if they were to win say 8 in a row, which is a distinct possibility, then it might be time to talk about it.

Kerry will start challenging if not next year certainly the year after. Galway need to abandon trying to play like Donegal and start having a go. They probably have more talent then Mayo but are underachieving.

It would be rare that you have even 3 teams as viable contenders for an All Ireland. Other then this year there has not been much between the Dubs, Mayo and Kerry. The rest of the country is underperforming and needs to have a look at themselves rather then making excuses.

rm75 wrote: »
    Kerry will start challenging if not next year certainly the year after. Galway need to abandon trying to play like Donegal and start having a go. They probably have more talent then Mayo but are underachieving.

It would be rare that you have even 3 teams as viable contenders for an All Ireland. Other then this year there has not been much between the Dubs, Mayo and Kerry. The rest of the country is underperforming and needs to have a look at themselves rather then making excuses.

I think Kerry have been a good bit off the Dubs since 2013 and getting farther away every year. Hopefully they will be able to build a competitive team in the next few years, it looks like the raw material will be there, but that doesn't necessarily guarantee any success at senior level. The hiding their u20s took off Kildare this year was a salutary reminder of that.
    Mayo are probably getting more recognition for just how good they were this year than they have any other year. I thought Dublin beat Tyrone comfortably while giving a 7 out of 10 performance for them whereas last year they would have given a 8/9 out of 10 performance IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Are you actually talking about only having 5 provincial teams and no counties?
    I just don't see that working.

It worked in rugby as it coincided with the switch to professionalism, and the provincial structure enabled the Irish provinces to be competitive in European competition.
    GAA is still an amateur game and it would be very hard to mould a cohesive team from a pool of part-time players e.g. from Donegal to Armagh, or from Louth to Wexford.
    Cork has as many people as Connacht, they are hardly likely to jump at the chance to merge with the rest of Munster.
    Kerry are by far the most successful team in All Ireland history, and have 6 titles in the 21st century (as many as Dublin), so it seems very strange they are picked for oblivion.

The demise of the Railway Cup suggests a home and away "Five Provinces" GAA tournament would be a hard sell.

Dublin has grown into a province. This is similar to how Vienna is 1 of 9 provinces in Austria.

If Dublin is being split into 4 district county teams, the GAA will want to keep the Dublin entity as we know it at some level.

You can be sure the GAA would ensure that Connaught, Leinster, Munster and Ulster will have strong teams for the inter provincial championship including Dublin. This can include finance incentive for the elite players.

The Dublin County Board would upgrade to that of a provincial council. The GAA will have to work out how 5 provincial championships will feed into the All-Ireland series.

The 4 district counties in Dublin using postcodes can be as follows;

East Dublin - 1, 3, 5, 13 & 17.
    North Dublin - 7, 9, 11, 15 & 20.
    South Dublin - 2, 4, 6, 14, 16 & 18.
    West Dublin - 8, 10, 12, 22 & 24.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Dublin has grown into a province. This is similar to how Vienna is 1 of 9 provinces in Austria.

If Dublin is being split into 4 district county teams, the GAA will want to keep the Dublin entity as we know it at some level.
    And how do you propose to enact this break up of Antrim, Down and Cork that you are proposing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

You can be sure the GAA would ensure that Connaught, Leinster, Munster and Ulster will have strong teams for the inter provincial championship including Dublin. This can include finance incentive for the elite players.

The Dublin County Board would upgrade to that of a provincial council. The GAA will have to work out how 5 provincial championships will feed into the All-Ireland series.

The 4 district counties in Dublin using postcodes can be as follows;

East Dublin - 1, 3, 5, 13 & 17.
    North Dublin - 7, 9, 11, 15 & 20.
    South Dublin - 2, 4, 6, 14, 16 & 18.
    West Dublin - 8, 10, 12, 22 & 24.

Eircode thread thataway>>>>>>>>

This is about how great Dublin are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Eircode thread thataway>>>>>>>>

This is about how great Dublin are.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Kerry haven't beaten Dublin in the Championship in a decade, there has been plenty between them and Dublin. Mayo have had much closer games with Dublin in the same period (and managed to beat them, although not under Gavin.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

dog_pig wrote: »
    Kerry haven't beaten Dublin in the Championship in a decade, there has been plenty between them and Dublin. Mayo have had much closer games with Dublin in the same period (and managed to beat them, although not under Gavin.)

Mayo last beat them in 2012, over six years ago, Dublin team has changed a lot since then. The last team to beat them in any sort of meaningful match was kerry in last years league final, and before that it was Donegal in 2014. I don’t remember Dublin beating kerry badly on the championship in recent years either? Not sure where you are getting that.

They probably would have eaten kerry this year if they had met, but they’d have done the same to Mayo as well I feel. Both teams were a pale shadow of themselves this year. I think Mayo are in trouble with the age profile of their team and seemingly no top class replacements ready.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

From the mid 70's until the early 90's there was nothing in either Connacht or Ulster. The All Ireland was basically a contest between the Leinster and Munster winners. In Munster it was Cork and Kerry. Leinster was Dublin and Offaly (and then Meath replacing Offaly).

In recent years Mayo and Kerry have run the Dubs close. Being honest I cant see how people can saw football is less competitive now then in the late 70's early 80's. Kerry have a fair amount of talent coming true. I suspect we are in for some epic battles between them and the Dubs over the next few years. Personally I am really looking forward to it.

Dubs are a great team , other counties need to up their game and stop making excuses. In fairness Kerry wont do this. Other counties are already looking for excuses.

Roscommon had a great team in the late 70s and if it weren't for that Kerry side would likely have won a couple of All-Irelands during that period. The fact the likes of Dermot Earley or Tony McManus didn't win an All-Ireland medal was a massive shame.

Down won the All-Ireland in 91, Donegal in 1992, Derry in 93 and Down again in 94 so I don't understand how you can say 'From the mid 70's until the early 90's there was nothing in either Connacht or Ulster'.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Mutant z wrote: »
    I know you have the great Kerry sides of the 70s and 80s including the 4 in a row but Dublin have now equalled that record after their victory over Tyrone yesterday to clinch yet another Sam Maguire with no sign of it abating. When you look at the never ending amount of young stars coming through the ranks its not inconceivable that they could go on to surpass that great Kerry team to win 5,6,7 etc on the bounch. They are that far ahead of everyone else its impossible to see anyone stopping them in the near future. Yes the other counties need to raise their own games but there's no doubt this current Dublin side are a very special team indeed.

Certainly the richest in terms of Gaa payments , corporate sponsorship and coaching . Most counties can’t raise their game as you call it due to the fact they will never have access to such resources.

mickeyk wrote: »
    Mayo last beat them in 2012, over six years ago, Dublin team has changed a lot since then. The last team to beat them in any sort of meaningful match was kerry in last years league final, and before that it was Donegal in 2014. I don’t remember Dublin beating kerry badly on the championship in recent years either? Not sure where you are getting that.

They probably would have eaten kerry this year if they had met, but they’d have done the same to Mayo as well I feel. Both teams were a pale shadow of themselves this year. I think Mayo are in trouble with the age profile of their team and seemingly no top class replacements ready.

If 2012 is too long ago for you then what's the earliest that can be considered recent? 2013?

What I'm getting at is that saying that Mayo and Kerry competed similarly with Dublin is misleading, Kerry haven't been a threat to Dublin in quite a while. Since Dublin's first All-Ireland in 2011 Mayo have beaten them once and twice brought brought games to replays. That's a significantly better record than Kerry's.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Roscommon had a great team in the late 70s and if it weren't for that Kerry side would likely have won a couple of All-Irelands during that period. The fact the likes of Dermot Earley or Tony McManus didn't win an All-Ireland medal was a massive shame.

Down won the All-Ireland in 91, Donegal in 1992, Derry in 93 and Down again in 94 so I don't understand how you can say from the mid 70's until the early 90's there was nothing in either Connacht or Ulster'.

Between Downs wins in 1968 and 1991 no team in Ulster/Connacht won an All Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Between Downs wins in 1968 and 1991 no team in Ulster/Connacht won an All Ireland.

It is worse than that.

Only once during that period - Galway in 1973 - did a Connacht or Ulster team beat a Munster of Leinster team in a semi-final out of something like 28 attempts.

If 2012 is too long ago for you then what's the earliest that can be considered recent? 2013?

What I'm getting at is that saying that Mayo and Kerry competed similarly with Dublin is misleading, Kerry haven't been a threat to Dublin in quite a while. Since Dublin's first All-Ireland in 2011 Mayo have beaten them once and twice brought brought games to replays. That's a significantly better record than Kerry's.

Depends on your definition of significantly better. Kerry have won an All Ireland in that time, Mayo have not. Kerry weren’t that far away from Dublin in 2013 and 2016 which was the last time they played, and have beaten them in a league final since. Mayo competed well with Dublin several times but there are no medals for moral victories, not that I am saying Mayo are looking for any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If Dublin win 5 in a row they will without question and if Cork don't win it(which h is pretty much certain) then I hope they do. Great side and a very humble side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Billy86 wrote: »
    So it's gone from "wait until the win 4" to "wait for another 30 years and we'll see" to "wait until they win 8" then?

When you've finally set those goalposts down, come back and we can back have a chat.

Strawmanning at its finest...

Strawmanning at its finest...
    I just noticed you have four posts, all in this thread, and not a hint of constructive argument to be made. Off with ye now.

I just noticed you have four posts, all in this thread, and not a hint of constructive argument to be made. Off with ye now.

Yes...this is my first time on boards..ever
    It's an opinion, nothing more my good man.

The Kerry team of the 70's - 80's came up against a great Dublin team who probably would have won 6 championships in that period if they weren't around.
    This current Dublin had to be judged on the opposition it plays...and to be quite frank. .there isn't a side in the country playing at a level to trouble them.....it's a shame, but it's the reality of the situation.

But, around the country, this team is not lauded.....Now, if they win another 2 ...and make it 6 in a row.. then there would be no question... regardless of the quality...the ability to go for 6 years would be untouchable....and would rightly be considered the best....but it's still a waiting game for now

Depends on your definition of significantly better. Kerry have won an All Ireland in that time, Mayo have not. Kerry weren’t that far away from Dublin in 2013 and 2016 which was the last time they played, and have beaten them in a league final since. Mayo competed well with Dublin several times but there are no medals for moral victories, not that I am saying Mayo are looking for any.

Significantly better in that having a victory and two draws versus Kerry's straight defeats in that period is a much better record? I'm not counting league matches but by all means do so yourself if you really think they matter.

I don't understand why you're bringing the 2014 All-Ireland into a discussion about Mayo and Kerry's ability to compete with Dublin. Neither team played them that year in the Championship. I also don't know how the comment about medals is relevant. Are you a Kerry fan or something?

• Advertisement

Yes...this is my first time on boards..ever
    It's an opinion, nothing more my good man.

The Kerry team of the 70's - 80's came up against a great Dublin team who probably would have won 6 championships in that period if they weren't around.
    This current Dublin had to be judged on the opposition it plays...and to be quite frank. .there isn't a side in the country playing at a level to trouble them.....it's a shame, but it's the reality of the situation.

But, around the country, this team is not lauded.....Now, if they win another 2 ...and make it 6 in a row.. then there would be no question... regardless of the quality...the ability to go for 6 years would be untouchable....and would rightly be considered the best....but it's still a waiting game for now

Not lauded because most people can see the money behind Dublin is having a huge impact . It isn’t a level playing field as it was in the 80’s and 90’s

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

It's amazing how poor Connacht was in those days. Whenever Mayo lose a final and I'm upset, my dad tells me "At least you didn't have to see them in the 70s."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

He s entitled to comment just cos he s new here and only posted 4 comments does not de-legitimize his voice. Everyone had 4 posts at one stage in fairness.

In fact if he posts one more he'll have 5 in a row before Dublin:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

If they win 5 in a row, Dublin will be the greatest team in Gaelic Football history.
    It's impossible to compare teams from different eras. It's valid to compare the records though.

Btw, can people stop comparing the number of games as a metric.
    Dublin have to play 7 games to win an All Ireland but only 2 at best are likely to be competitive.
    This year, none of them were competitive.

A bit tongue in cheek, but I wonder if it would be better for Dublin to win the 5 in a row next year and not win another for a few years after that. That group of players would then be lauded as a special group, special management, GOAT etc.

Whereas if they do 7 or 8 in a row, people will just put it down to professionalism, money, unfair advantage etc and the team and management will not get the kudos they deserve.

vetinari wrote: »
    If they win 5 in a row, Dublin will be the greatest team in Gaelic Football history.
    It's impossible to compare teams from different eras. It's valid to compare the records though.

Dublin have to play 7 games to win an All Ireland but only 2 at best are likely to be competitive.

Kerry have more all Ireland wins...so they are still the greatest by your metric

Dannyriver wrote: »
    He s entitled to comment just cos he s new here and only posted 4 comments does not de-legitimize his voice. Everyone had 4 posts at one stage in fairness.

In fact if he posts one more he'll have 5 in a row before Dublin:D:D:D

Absolutely, but when one of those few posts is along the lines of "when they do it 6 times, then it'll be an achievement", another is "when they do it 8 times it will be an achievement", and another is "in 30 years we can discuss if it is an achievement" I... get kind of skeptical about how honest they are actually being in their argument. :p

Daz_ wrote: »
    Not lauded because most people can see the money behind Dublin is having a huge impact . It isn’t a level playing field as it was in the 80’s and 90’s

Kerry and Mayo have been closer to Dublin during their 4 in a row then anyone was to Kerry during their 4 in a row.
    15 v 15 seems level enough to me.

Kerry will start challenging the Dubs if not next year certainly the year after that and all this nonsense will be forgotten about. You would hope Galway and Tyrone will push on now as well.

What's interesting is the source of these complaints is not from teams who have challenged Dublin but teams below that who are simply looking for excuses.
    Kerry fans rarely complain as they are looking to beat the Dubs of course. Its the perpetual victims mostly. Far easier to scream "its not fair" like a 2 year old then face up to the fact that you need to up your own performance and commitment levels.

Absolutely, but when one of those few posts is along the lines of "when they do it 6 times, then it'll be an achievement", another is "when they do it 8 times it will be an achievement", and another is "in 30 years we can discuss if it is an achievement" I... get kind of skeptical about how honest they are actually being in their argument. :p

And, that's your opinion...and you're quite welcome to it...but that's all it is ...one man's opinion

Significantly better in that having a victory and two draws versus Kerry's straight defeats in that period is a much better record? I'm not counting league matches but by all means do so yourself if you really think they matter.

I don't understand why you're bringing the 2014 All-Ireland into a discussion about Mayo and Kerry's ability to compete with Dublin. Neither team played them that year in the Championship. I also don't know how the comment about medals is relevant. Are you a Kerry fan or something?

Yes I am from kerry as it happens. I just find this narrative to big up Mayo interesting given their lack of success. The fact you need to thrall back to 2012 to prove your point says it all.

Btw the last time kerry played Dublin in the championship the referee on the day David Gough publicly admitted that he botched a huge call at the end of the game that would have almost certainly seen it end in a draw. Kerry led for a lot of that excellent game. That’s really not that long ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

fair enough but that s a beef with content not amount of posts

Dannyriver wrote: »
    fair enough but that s a beef with content not amount of posts
    True indeed, though when the content is so consistently drivel from the outset with no other posts to fall back on, it makes it hard to take the account as a whole seriously.

vetinari wrote: »

Same as for Kerry in the 70's/80's so ! , Cork and the winners of Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

That was my point.
    Some people like to argue it's tougher to win an All Ireland today because you "play more games".
    They ignore the fact that there aren't that many truly competitive games.

Kerry and Mayo have been closer to Dublin during their 4 in a row then anyone was to Kerry during their 4 in a row.
    15 v 15 seems level enough to me.

Kerry will start challenging the Dubs if not next year certainly the year after that and all this nonsense will be forgotten about. You would hope Galway and Tyrone will push on now as well.

What's interesting is the source of these complaints is not from teams who have challenged Dublin but teams below that who are simply looking for excuses.
    Kerry fans rarely complain as they are looking to beat the Dubs of course. Its the perpetual victims mostly. Far easier to scream "its not fair" like a 2 year old then face up to the fact that you need to up your own performance and commitment levels.

I love how Dublin fans get all upset when money and resources are even mentioned . You can shout and say it’s childish etc but everyone knows it isn’t a level playing field .

Same as for Kerry in the 70's/80's so ! , Cork and the winners of Leinster.

It was less then, because Cork were not competitive and neither were Dublin after 1977. Kerry effectively won 4 All-Irelands unopposed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,804 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Level playing field in the 80s? Did I miss Leitrim beating Kerry. Never has been never will be level playing field. Only american sports with their draft system even aspire to this.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Yes I am from kerry as it happens. I just find this narrative to big up Mayo interesting given their lack of success. The fact you need to thrall back to 2012 to prove your point says it all.

Btw the last time kerry played Dublin in the championship the referee on the day David Gough publicly admitted that he botched a huge call at the end of the game that would have almost certainly seen it end in a draw. Kerry led for a lot of that excellent game. That’s really not that long ago.

Narrative? I'm talking about matches between 3 teams specifically, that's what's being discussed. Why do you keep mentioning medals and "success"?

Well if it's OK to thrall all the way back to 2013 then instead, given that you referenced it in your last post, Mayo's results and score difference are still noticeably better than Kerry's.

I dunno how much David Gough has to do with any of this to be honest.

True indeed, though when the content is so consistently drivel from the outset with no other posts to fall back on, it makes it hard to take the account as a whole seriously.

May I ask, what's your excuse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭dunnerc

robbiezero wrote: »
    I think Kerry have been a good bit off the Dubs since 2013 and getting farther away every year. Hopefully they will be able to build a competitive team in the next few years, it looks like the raw material will be there, but that doesn't necessarily guarantee any success at senior level. The hiding their u20s took off Kildare this year was a salutary reminder of that.
    Mayo are probably getting more recognition for just how good they were this year than they have any other year. I thought Dublin beat Tyrone comfortably while giving a 7 out of 10 performance for them whereas last year they would have given a 8/9 out of 10 performance IMO.

Did you not see the 2016 Dublin v Kerry semi final ? Dublin won by 2 after a mighty battle ,they also beat Dublin in the 2017 league final and won the all Ireland in 2014 so I think your wrong saying Kerry have been a good bit off Dublin since 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

And how do you propose to enact this break up of Antrim, Down and Cork that you are proposing?

If an area has expanded so much to have 4 administrative councils, it's time to consider reclassifying the region as a province. Dublin is big enough to have 4 district county teams competing at inter-county level.

Narrative? I'm talking about matches between 3 teams specifically, that's what's being discussed. Why do you keep mentioning medals and "success"?

Well if it's OK to thrall all the way back to 2013 then instead, given that you referenced it in your last post, Mayo's results and score difference are still noticeably better than Kerry's.

I dunno how much David Gough has to do with any of this to be honest.

I mentioned 2016 not 2013 and you know very well why I brought the Gough incident up, they should have gotten a draw that day, you are just being pedantic at this stage.

I mentioned 2016 not 2013 and you know very well why I brought the Gough incident up, they should have gotten a draw that day, you are just being pedantic at this stage.

You mentioned 2013

If an area has expanded so much to have 4 administrative councils, it's time to consider reclassifying the region as a province. Dublin is big enough to have 4 district county teams competing at inter-county level.

So your issue has nothing to do with population then, and everything to do with how many councils there are?

So what you are saying is you would also split Galway and Cork up, as each of those have two separate councils. How would you go about this?

And how do you plan on selling to fans from Ulster, the dissolution of their teams to be replaced by:
    1. Antrim and Newtownabbey
    2. Ards and North Down
    3. Armagh City, Banbridge and Craigavon
    4. Belfast
    5. Coleraine
    6. Derry and Strabane
    7. Fermanagh and Omagh
    8. Lisburn and Castlereagh
    9. Mid and East Antrim
    10. Mid Ulster

That's quite a lofty goal you've set for yourself there, but I would be interested in some of the finer details as to how exactly you would go about them.

dunnerc wrote: »
    Did you not see the 2016 Dublin v Kerry semi final ? Dublin won by 2 after a mighty battle ,they also beat Dublin in the 2017 league final and won the all Ireland in 2014 so I think your wrong saying Kerry have been a good bit off Dublin since 2013.

Thats just my opinion. They were beaten 12-5 in the second half in 2016. Game was skewed by the 10 minutes of madness before half-time where Kerry scored 2-4. Outside of that 10 minutes the Dubs were comfortably better.
    I don't count the league final as Dublin were only at 70% in that league and Kerry were flat out to beat them. Actually that match for me was the indicator that Kerry would not be winning any All-Ireland that year.
    Dublin were good value for their 3 point win in desperate conditions in 2015 also, comfortably the better side.
    Last 2 years have been very poor from Kerry.

• Advertisement

I love how Dublin fans get all upset when money and resources are even mentioned . You can shout and say it’s childish etc but everyone knows it isn’t a level playing field .

Sounds like loser talk to me. Always easier to blame others for your own failings of course.

Kerry were a great team. Offally improved inch by inch over 3 years and eventually beat them. They could have lay down and cried about how "its not fair" but they didnt. Still each to their own i guess.

You mentioned 2013

Thought you were referring to the post where I mentioned the Gough incident in 2016.

Look, Kerry were in all those games until the end and I don’t agree that they didn’t compete. They did their best same as Mayo and the results were very similar. Even the kerry v Mayo head to heads in recent years both went to replays and they won one a piece. Your assertion that Mayo are the only county that competed in recent years isn’t accurate IMO. I’m going to leave it there as it’s just getting silly now.

Northern Ireland now has 11 districts instead of six counties.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_government_in_Northern_Ireland#Local_Government_Districts

I look forward to seeing Newry, Morne and Down playing Causeway Coast and Glens next year in the expanded Ulster Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Sounds like loser talk to me. Always easier to blame others for your own failings of course.

Kerry were a great team. Offally improved inch by inch over 3 years and eventually beat them. They could have lay down and cried about how "its not fair" but they didnt. Still each to their own i guess.
    Theres plenty money in Meath Kildare Cork Kerry etc but the those with it are waiting for the bandwagon to start rolling first before jumping on

Thought you were referring to the post where I mentioned the Gough incident in 2016.

Look, Kerry were in all those games until the end and I don’t agree that they didn’t compete. They did their best same as Mayo and the results were very similar. Even the kerry v Mayo head to heads in recent years both went to replays and they won one a piece. Your assertion that Mayo are the only county that competed in recent years isn’t accurate IMO. I’m going to leave it there as it’s just getting silly now.

I never said that they didn't compete, I said that making out that Mayo and Kerry have competed at the same level with Dublin is misleading.

You can misrepresent me and move the goalposts all you want but what I'm saying is borne out by the facts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement