Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing health insurance

• 03-09-2018 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Looking for some advice. My private health insurance plan automatically renewed on 1st september, ive had private cover going back the last 5 or 6 years.

Ive looked after this personally but will be starting a new job on October 1st where we will have this paid for us. Its with a different provider, can anyone tell me what my best move is?

I will deffo be taking the paid policy in work but how do i get out of my old policy by 1st october without financial penalty?

Obviously i could just cancel it now and wait until i start on 1st october to sign up to new policy in work but i will then be uncovered for 1 month and im sure id have to undergo a waiting period all over again

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭orthsquel

If your policy auto renewed on 1st September you've the 14 day cooling off period to amend or cancel your cover. If you cancel after that you will be subject to a mid term cancellation charge, which varies between providers. the HIA has some useful information on cancellation and mid term adjustments, and cancellation mid year with the providers, something to be aware of https://www.hia.ie/consumer-information/cancelling-your-health-insurance-plan

If you've had continuous cover for 5 years, then you've served your initial waiting period for pre existing conditions.

You can still cancel from your renewal date 1st September, and you'll have 13 weeks to return to any private health insurance provider before you have a break in cover. After 13 weeks uninsured you'll re-serve your initial waiting periods again, and if over 35 subject to a 2% loading for any years aged 35 and over that you haven't had health insurance (your previous years insured as an adult will still count). If the gap in cover is only 1 month, you just won't have any health insurance cover for 1 month, so you won't be able to make a claim from any provider, or claim the cost of any medical expenses, hospital admissions, if you have an illness or accident or injury, or procedure between the end date of your policy from renewal until a new cover is in place on and from 1st October.

Take a couple of days to review what the cover with your employer has, if it's a higher cover (if an upgrade waiting period applies, or whether it is waived as part of the Group Scheme) and certainly make sure you are first eligible to join the group scheme with your HR department.

Advertisement