Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rachel Allen’s son arrested for €30,000 drugs seizure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭KevRossi

This is the ad on Daft.ie https://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-sale/midleton/ballynamona-shanagarry-midleton-cork-2140051/

It's a very odd gaff for a Chef, but seems to be one more suited for a 'Foodie'. There's 1.75 acres around it and it's as bare as a baby's backside. I think there's about 6 badly kept raised beds there and that's it. Anyone with a passion for food would have the place covered in fruit and nut trees and have a nice bit of veg going.

Also the orientation of the house is wrong, it faces SE when it should be S or SW, as you're going to be home in the evenings 5 days out of 7. There's another house between you and the view as well. It's different, bit of art deco meets church, probably built in the 1960's-70's, but also probably a bitch to heat in winter.

I'd ignore the description, it's estate agent bollox-waffle.

I think it's heavily overpriced, but what do I know. But for €50K less you can get this right on the water:
    https://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-sale/midleton/golden-point-east-ferry-midleton-cork-2254865/

East Cork is very cliquey, I'd not live there in a fit tbh.
    KevRossi wrote: »

I think it's heavily overpriced, but what do I know. But for €50K less you can get this right on the water:
    https://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-sale/midleton/golden-point-east-ferry-midleton-cork-2254865/

That house could be actually in the water over the next few decades :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

exposed site on the coast and facing into the prevailing weather. No ta. And it's sat in what is basically a field.

Yeah, who the fùck would want to live somewhere with sea views?
    And as for the field, give me neighbours houses built right beside me any day!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

markodaly wrote: »

Then, when they put their house on the market, reasons unknown and kept private, we have the same cohorts speculating like mad and being nosey as to the 'why' hoping that they release some sort of public statement on the matter.

Couldn't make it up. :p

Well you were wrong on that one, she gave an interview to the Irish Examiner two years ago saying she is are selling up and wants to build a brand new house with Scandanavian design. The house was only built in 2004 so she must have tired of it rather than it being a house for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Well you were wrong on that one, she gave an interview to the Irish Examiner two years ago saying she is are selling up and wants to build a brand new house with Scandanavian design. The house was only built in 2004 so she must have tired of it rather than it being a house for life.

Wow!!

That looks like something a lot older. Poorly designed, two very small bedroom when you consider the overall footprint. There are things I like about it, but I'd never buy it if I was in the market for something in that price range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Effects wrote: »

There's a lovely little beach at Ballynamona. And aside from Ballycotton natives with eyepatches waving pitchforks and going "Oooor-aaaarrh, you'm be a witch!!", I wouldn't describe that corner of Cork as particularly "cliquey", but it's probably one of the most quietly Protestant places on earth. YMMV! :D

Apologies if I've offended but as a city chap I always found East Cork to be cliquey, particularly Midleton and the not too immediate surrounds.

Anywhere they refer to eat other as 'lad':pac:

Augeo wrote: »
    Apologies if I've offended but as a city chap I always found East Cork to be cliquey, particularly Midleton and the not too immediate surrounds.

Anywhere they refer to eat other as 'lad':pac:

No offense at all Chief, you make a fair point. Woman has a farm and a handful of horses down there, I have something of an inside track. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Effects wrote: »
    With a Nissan Micra on concrete blocks in the garden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

That house is weird. Fabulous location and as somebody who is allergic to gardening, the plain landscaping wouldn’t bother me at all. I’m somebody who would only have a garden if I could afford to hire a gardener to do it all. So... I’ll never have a garden. :pac: But that house is just a strange design. Cavernous in the living area with a lot of wasted space and a hotel lobby feel to it and then two of the bedrooms are quite titchy.

I just can’t imagine building my own house and having plenty of money and coming up with that. The quasi-church style is okay but they didn’t even go bold enough there. The kitchen is nice, I guess. And it’s overpriced when you consider its location. Yes, it has sea views but it’s quite far from the city.

• Advertisement

That house is weird. Fabulous location and as somebody who is allergic to gardening, the plain landscaping wouldn’t bother me at all. I’m somebody who would only have a garden if I could afford to hire a gardener to do it all. So... I’ll never have a garden. :pac: But that house is just a strange design. Cavernous in the living area with a lot of wasted space and a hotel lobby feel to it and then two of the bedrooms are quite titchy.

I just can’t imagine building my own house and having plenty of money and coming up with that. The quasi-church style is okay but they didn’t even go bold enough there. The kitchen is nice, I guess. And it’s overpriced when you consider its location. Yes, it has sea views but it’s quite far from the city.

That big lawn has to be cut. I’m guessing the Original Allen family owned the land in the first place, so they stuck a house on it. The house was probably designed by Rachel in conjunction with an architecture student or new graduate in the extended family, who had skills enough to draw out plans for the builder to follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

This is the ad on Daft.ie https://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-sale/midleton/ballynamona-shanagarry-midleton-cork-2140051/

It's a very odd gaff for a Chef, but seems to be one more suited for a 'Foodie'. There's 1.75 acres around it and it's as bare as a baby's backside. I think there's about 6 badly kept raised beds there and that's it. Anyone with a passion for food would have the place covered in fruit and nut trees and have a nice bit of veg going.

Also the orientation of the house is wrong, it faces SE when it should be S or ]

She isnt a chef, she has never served her time in a formally recognised course. Ballymaloe is printing press for qualification. Its full of bored trophy wives and waster kids who wouldn't survive in the real world.

She is far from a humble chef, she is a celebrity and business person. That is what chefs say when they want to leave their profession behind. You go into university, all the other lecturers advertise their profession first and their teaching status second.

Yes it is heavily over priced and the grounds are ignored but I would love to live there in a heart beat.

.............. The house was probably designed by Rachel in conjunction with an architecture student or new graduate in the extended family, who had skills enough to draw out plans for the builder to follow.

Bit of a guess there to be fair.

That big lawn has to be cut. I’m guessing the Original Allen family owned the land in the first place, so they stuck a house on it. The house was probably designed by Rachel in conjunction with an architecture student or new graduate in the extended family, who had skills enough to draw out plans for the builder to follow.

I wonder were they less flush at the time? They’re very well off now I’m sure but it was built in 2004 so maybe money was tighter then as Rachel hadn’t started her television career at that time, I don’t think.

I wonder were they less flush at the time? They’re very well off now I’m sure but it was built in 2004 so maybe money was tighter then as Rachel hadn’t started her television career at that time, I don’t think.

Have you ever met a person who was wealthy? They dont spend money you are privileged to spend time with them. Oh Yeah that is how they see the world.

The Allens are notoriously thrifty except when they are buying drugs and cars.

She isnt a chef, she has never served her time in a formally recognised course. Ballymaloe is printing press for qualification. Its full of bored trophy wives and waster kids who wouldn't survive in the real world...

Ballymaloe reared a lot of families down that way. The Michelin-starred Myrtle Allen initially learned cookery in the School of Commerce.

Have you ever met a person who was wealthy? They dont spend money you are privileged to spend time with them. Oh Yeah that is how they see the world...

I think you might be confusing the word "wealthy" with the word "asshole" - they do intersect a bit, but I know several people like you describe who haven't an arse in their britches. :pac:

jimgoose wrote: »
    I think you might be confusing the word "wealthy" with the word "asshole" - they do intersect a bit, but I know several people like you describe who haven't an arse in their britches. :pac:

That I am inclined to agree with, Most wealthy people I know are not wealthy from generating money but from spending yours. I know a few people who privately wealthy but you wouldnt know it to look at them.

Have you ever met a person who was wealthy? They dont spend money you are privileged to spend time with them. Oh Yeah that is how they see the world.

The Allens are notoriously thrifty except when they are buying drugs and cars.

I have, yes. Some of them built mansions, others didn’t. Though I’m not criticising them for not building a mansion. I don’t think people need gigantic houses. I just think some of the design choices are odd.

Quakers & Protestants have traditionally never been people to display any wealth they might have in an ostentatious way. But of course new generations might be different.

• Advertisement

Quakers & Protestants have traditionally never been people to display any wealth they might have in an ostentatious way. But of course new generations might be different.

That's right. I call it The Ordnung - that generally gets me a thump down there. :pac:

jimgoose wrote: »
    That's right. I call it The Ordnung - that generally gets me a thump down there. :pac:

In fact, I always recall my mother telling me of the time when she took me to Miss Catt’s ballet & dance school when I was a very young chiseler in the early 60s. The Guinnesses, Shackletons etc had their children at the school, and Mum presumed these posh kids were arriving in the company of their family’s housekeepers as those adult women were very dowdy and downbeat in appearance. She joked to Miss Catt “I’m afraid I don’t have such a thing as a housekeeper like these people”, and the dance mistress replied “My dear, over there is Mrs Shackleton and beside her is Mrs Guinness.... (etc)”.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,234 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Those steps into the master bedroom could be very dangerous if you were found of a few too many down at the local.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

but but but but it was owned by a celebrity, like. Must be worth a fortune.

Isnt everything at Ballymaloe a bit over priced?

Judges are expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah the Irish Examiner article says Rachel and Issac designed it themselves and it was built by a local builder Will Kennelly
    So, here’s the one they prepared earlier, built back in 2004, by craftsman Will Kenneally who’s responsible too for most of the buildings in Ballymaloe Cookery School.

Naturally, it was designed for cooking, for day-to-day family life, entertaining (an end of the TYO school year for Lucca saw 25 teens sleep over for a home-catered party). It was designed by the duo themselves, on a 1.75 acre site that was part of Allen family lands by the long, Blue Flag beach and wildlife reserve at Ardnahinch.

Im not sure what to make of it. Its not awful but its not great either. The big V shaped roof with a low angle reminds me of Swiss/French ski chalets but its obviously not clad in wood in the typical ski chalet style. The BER on it is C3 so while comfortable it wouldnt feel the warmest of homes so whoever buys it will need to do some upgrades

Anyway if they can get the 800,000 asking price Im sure they'll build something much better than what they currently have. Who knows we might even be getting a Dermot Bannon special out of this one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Also the orientation of the house is wrong, it faces SE when it should be S or SW, as you're going to be home in the evenings 5 days out of 7. There's another house between you and the view as well. It's different, bit of art deco meets church, probably built in the 1960's-70's, but also probably a bitch to heat in winter.

I'd ignore the description, it's estate agent bollox-waffle.

Second last photo; “Where’s grandad?”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

TBH if I was going to spend that on a house, I wouldn't be buying it, I'd rather built my own house to my own spec. From a design point of view it a bit of a mess, it's neither modern nor traditional, what's with the steps either side of the bed? I hate the kitchen (but that could be changed) what's the obsession with Agas and "country style" panelling in newer houses? (Apologies for offending anyone). I'm reasonably familiar with the area and while I'd love a sea view I do appreciate that being that close to it brings it's own problems. IMO it's a poorly designed house with a bad layout and no imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

I don't think that is true of protestants in general, unless this kind of thing is considered unpretentious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerscourt_Estate#/media/File:Powerscourt_Fountain.JPG

Muahahaha wrote: »
    .............. Its not awful but its not great either. ...........

Anyway if they can get the 800,000 asking price Im sure they'll build something much better than what they currently have. ............

What ever its worth its nowhere near 800,000.
    400,000? Maybe 450,000? Then you have a massive depression and everyone is dumping assets and selling stocks. I wouldnt be caught dead with a stock after September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If something hasn't sold in the last two years, it's obviously overpriced. Most properties pitched correctly have sold in 6/8 weeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement