Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rachel Allen’s son arrested for €30,000 drugs seizure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Seamai wrote: »
    TBH if I was going to spend that on a house, I wouldn't be buying it, I'd rather built my own house to my own spec. From a design point of view it a bit of a mess, it's neither modern nor traditional, what's with the steps either side of the bed? I hate the kitchen (but that could be changed) what's the obsession with Agas and "country style" panelling in newer houses? (Apologies for offending anyone). I'm reasonably familiar with the area and while I'd love a sea view I do appreciate that being that close to it brings it's own problems. IMO it's a poorly designed house with a bad layout and no imagination.

There definitely seems to be some sort of middle class obsession with Agas. I dont know why, I wouldnt want that hunk of cast iron in my kitchen. My granny had one when I was a kid and they were great back then because they acted a room heater in cold houses as well as a range. The kitchen used to be like a sauna with it. But they're not needed now with more modern houses, double/triple glazing, etc. If you fired one up in summer in a modern house you'd be sweating in no time.

They also suffer from poor temperature control. Even in the Journal article it says Rachel has two electric ovens because precise temperatures are needed when testing recopies. So the big hunk of an Aga is really just a prop.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    There definitely seems to be some sort of middle class obsession with Agas. I dont know why, I wouldnt want that hunk of cast iron in my kitchen. My granny had one when I was a kid and they were great back then because they acted a room heater in cold houses as well as a range. The kitchen used to be like a sauna with it. But they're not needed now with more modern houses, double/triple glazing, etc. If you fired one up in summer in a modern house you'd be sweating in no time.

They also suffer from poor temperature control. Even in the Journal article it says Rachel has two electric ovens because precise temperatures are needed when testing recopies. So the big hunk of an Aga is really just a prop.

I rented a house once with an Aga. Having never used one, I asked the owner’s wife how to use it. She said (and I kid you not) “Well, I think it’s quite easy. You put the food in and when it’s cooked, you take it out.”

I don’t think she did any cooking herself.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

It was always a country thing. Only knew one lad who had one in Dublin (in a large flat). People used grab wood out of skips if they saw any and were on the way over so it always had fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

There is a certain, shall we say, demographic that carries a torch for Aga cookers. They're horrendously expensive and built like Mk. IV Panzers, and they definitely have a certain "snob value". A lot of country folk would have grown up with one (or similar) in the kitchen and would since associate such a thing with comfort, warmth, general well-being and what-have-you. Someone serious about actual cooking would be more into the latest hot snot from the likes of Neff or De Dietrich.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

jimgoose wrote: »
    There is a certain, shall we say, demographic that carries a torch for Aga cookers. They're horrendously expensive and built like Mk. IV Panzers, and they definitely have a certain "snob value". A lot of country folk would have grown up with one (or similar) in the kitchen and would since associate such a thing with comfort, warmth, general well-being and what-have-you. Someone serious about actual cooking would be more into the latest hot snot from the likes of Neff or De Dietrich.

yeah theres a definite nostalgia element with them. AFAIK used versions of them attract very high prices as they are a 'must have' for a certain set. My granny had one and they were fantastic at heating the house back in the days of freezing cold houses with single pane windows and leaky wooden frames. But they're of that time, cooking and heating have moved on considerably since the 1980s. I'd say they are now mainly just a prop for snobs to say that they have one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

beertons wrote: »
    Could be Oregano?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

yeah theres a definite nostalgia element with them. AFAIK used versions of them attract very high prices as they are a 'must have' for a certain set. My granny had one and they were fantastic at heating the house back in the days of freezing cold houses with single pane windows and leaky wooden frames. But they're of that time, cooking and heating have moved on considerably since the 1980s. I'd say they are now mainly just a prop for snobs to say that they have one.

The 1930s Dublin semi-d house I grew up in originally had a range, as did the Dublin houses my parents grew up in too. All the old houses had them. My parents got rid of the range when they bought the house and got an electric cooker, but my pals down the road had the old range still in the house as their father was a rural man and liked it and had grown up with one himself. I was quite fascinated with its antique look. They had an electric or gas cooker too. I have one of those modern aga-loving relatives who has it for the prestige :D

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

Some interesting comments about the aga cookers for show!!
    Delusions of grandeur!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

jmayo wrote: »
    So why have you spent so much time on this site defending the Allen brand, sorry family.

Fair enough he has a dream, but don't expect to con other people to help him realise he isn't probably going to make it.

Defending them? Haha, I have no love nor hate for them. I honestly don't care.

Jailing someone for Cannabis is to me, morally wrong. Cannabis should be legalised, end of.

But I will point out the vacuous border-line hateful nonsense being directed at a teenager.
    Because his family are famous, he deserves everything he gets online I suppose?

Truth be put it, Ireland hates people with 'notions'. We never needed the British to put us down, we did it plenty ourselves. There is always someone around the corner to knock someone else down.
    FFS what a load of waffle.
    Did the Allen's write the sales blurb.
    "Mature landscaped gardens" - it looks pretty much like a bog standard lawn with a few fruit trees.
    "West wing" - ehh it is a square house not the fooking White House.

Exhibit 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

markodaly wrote: »
    Because his family are famous, he deserves everything he gets online I suppose?
    He deserves everything he gets from the law cause he broke the law, in a serious manner. 22k worth of drugs he was selling, fuelling the pockets of criminals (and himself).
    He was 17, had gone to London to organise the purchase, 3rd/4th delivery. Knew exactly what he was as doing.
    The online stuff is typical of any famous person/celebrity/family, and is easily avoided.

• Advertisement

banoffe2 wrote: »
    Some interesting comments about the aga cookers for show!!
    Delusions of grandeur!!!

Quite. The only reasons I can see for having an Aga in a modern, well insulated house are bragging coefficient, or wanting to live in tropical heat. The short time I rented a house with one, it consumed electricity.

As another poster has said, for a tenth of the price you can buy yourself a very good quality fan oven with all the toys, and have an oven that you know the temperature you set is the one you will get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Quite. The only reasons I can see for having an Aga in a modern, well insulated house are bragging coefficient, or wanting to live in tropical heat. The short time I rented a house with one, it consumed electricity.

As another poster has said, for a tenth of the price you can buy yourself a very good quality fan oven with all the toys, and have an oven that you know the temperature you set is the one you will get.

Kind of pathetic to care what sort of cooker someone else has imo

Do people actually consume their time and lives with the notion of what oven they have?
    It's like the anti-'keeping up with the jones'.

The online stuff is typical of any famous person/celebrity/family, and is easily avoided.

So again, because his family is famous, he deserves it.
    Grand job.

So again, because his family is famous, he deserves it.
    Grand job.
    Didn’t say that. Weak argument if you’ve to make stuff up.
    I reckon the greater crime was his, rather than online comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

It is but it's all about what people can see, the same as the car parked in the drive. These days many are rigged up to electricity, oil or gas negating the need for all the dirty work, many are rarely used for cooking (you have to have an ordinary hob/oven as well) so in many respects it's like having your boiler in the kitchen but it's there for everyone to see.

Didn’t say that. Weak argument if you’ve to make stuff up.

Its directly inferred.

Its directly inferred.
    No, it's not. You interpreted it as that, but that's not my issue. I didn't say/infer it.

The guy was repeatedly trading in illegal drugs, it reflects on his character and it's gonna result in online abuse (which obviously will be more prevalent given the name/family/celebrity). Does he deserve it? That's everyone's own opinion, but it's based the crime he committed.

No, it's not. You interpreted it as that, but that's not my issue. I didn't say/infer it.

The guy was repeatedly trading in illegal drugs, it reflects on his character and it's gonna result in online abuse (which obviously will be more prevalent given the name/family/celebrity). Does he deserve it? That's everyone's own opinion, but it's based the crime he committed.

Tell me, does everyone who deals in Cannabis get their own thread and thus the online vilification that comes with it? :D

The fact he got a prison sentence was a joke, as the average dealer from a working class suburb would have just walked out of there. I guess society had to make an example out of him and I can tell you are delighted about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

I guess society had to make an example out of him and I can tell you are delighted about that.

If you want to put your children on the cover of a magazine and you are in the public eye, it is a double edged sword with the pi$$ off and pay offs. Bit like when Nigella Lawson admitted to having taken drugs and well Gordon Ramsey has never hidden the fact his brother was a junkie, it was like "he took one road and I took another".

Something tell me things are for from the Utopia that is displayed on RTE down in Shanagarry.

• Advertisement

Tell me, does everyone who deals in Cannabis get their own thread and thus the online vilification that comes with it? :D
    No. People who are famous, or from a famous family, who resort to criminality are likely to.
    The fact he got a prison sentence was a joke, as the average dealer from a working class suburb would have just walked out of there. I guess society had to make an example out of him and I can tell you are delighted about that.
    Don't see how it was a joke. Repeatedly brought in illegal drugs, got caught, got jail. Am I happy that criminal got jail? Yes, as I would if it was any other dealer. There's are people behind the cannabis trade that profit and benefit from peoples suffering.

If you're argument is that cannabis should be legal, I agree. But it's not.

I take no delight that he or his family is getting abuse. I've haven't partaken in that. Again, you're interpreting something that doesn't exist and I haven't said.

If you want to put your children on the cover of a magazine and you are in the public eye, it is a double edged sword with the pi$$ off and pay offs. Bit like when Nigella Lawson admitted to having taken drugs and well Gordon Ramsey has never hidden the fact his brother was a junkie, it was like "he took one road and I took another".

Something tell me things are for from the Utopia that is displayed on RTE down in Shanagarry.

So you are revelling into the fact that famous people too have personal and family problems....
    I think it says more about you than anything.

If people are delighted its because on this occasion the law wasnt able to be "bought". I am sure with a bit of hard work and a few carefully chosen internships he could have been taking over the reigns at Ballymaloe in 15 years. No he wanted the fast way to the top. It is not like it was a one time thing. I am sure Rachael (I am sure the community guard advised her and told her to deal with it privately) knew and didnt either take it seriously or apply appropriate pressure.

This should never have come out in public if it had been dealt with appropriate force and discipline.

No. People who are famous, or from a famous family, who resort to criminality are likely to.

Right, so you prove my point.
    This thread exists primarily because this person didnt committed some henious crime, it exists because they come from a famous family, the crime is a mere secondary act.

If people are delighted its because on this occasion the law wasnt able to be "bought". I am sure with a bit of hard work and a few carefully chosen internships he could have been taking over the reigns at Ballymaloe in 15 years. No he wanted the fast way to the top. It is not like it was a one time thing. I am sure Rachael (I am sure the community guard advised her and told her to deal with it privately) knew and didnt either take it seriously or apply appropriate pressure.

This should never have come out in public if it had been dealt with appropriate force and discipline.

To the top of what exactly?

Unless you actually know the guy, you have no idea of his inner motivations, desires, wants or needs.

He imported at least €30k worth, not quite what your average dealer from a working class suburb gets up to.

So you are revelling into the fact that famous people too have personal and family problems....
    I think it says more about you than anything.

Everyone has family problems....... We just dont do our out in public view. I have fights with my family, members of my family have mental health issues.

Yeah it says stuff about me and my family. We anticipate problems, we see problems and we take action. Very rarely we have to admit we need help because problems get nipped in the butt. Hence we dont need to resort to lawyers

Augeo wrote: »
    He imported at least €30k worth, not quite what your average dealer from a working class suburb gets up to.

With what? 90% mark up? so that is 270k profit minus pay offs? possibly 10% tax to the local IRA head for a lisence to trade? That is a nice little profit for the Jazz Weekend? Why would you be bothered with Madera and Sourdough recipies.

To the top of what exactly?

Unless you actually know the guy, you have no idea of his inner motivations, desires, wants or needs.

What everyone want to make is money. He wasnt prepared to do the hard work of previous generation and come up the hard way that most of us do.

• Advertisement

With what? 90% mark up? so that is 270k profit minus pay offs? possibly 10% tax to the local IRA head for a lisence to trade? That is a nice little profit for the Jazz Weekend? Why would you be bothered with Madera and Sourdough recipies.

I don't think it was that lucrative.....

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/joshua-allen-jailed-for-15-months-for-drugs-offences-1.4187889......

"The drugs, which had a street value of €22,694, were addressed to Joshua Allen at Ballymaloe Cookery School and gardaí organised a controlled delivery of the package to Allen on August 30th, 2018 at Ballymaloe Cookery School.

Allen signed for and accepted the package outside the shop at the cookery school and gardaí watched him open the package before moving in and arrested him for questioning about the drugs.

Det Sgt O’Halloran said Allen told gardaí it was the third or fourth such delivery that he had organised,"

3rd or 4th time is fairly vague though........... at 4 times you are looking at €90k streetvalue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement