Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rachel Allen’s son arrested for €30,000 drugs seizure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,492 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ok but that still wont change young Joshuas record. The fact is that he knew what he was doing was illegal and that the Allens are using the law and media "morally absolve themselves again". Isnt that the real issue?

I was just highlighting that the basis for your viewpoints with regard to drugs is a contradcition.
    Cannabis is a gateway drug and people go soft in the head over time, so effects are not immediately seen.

What are you basig that on? Specifcially?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

I was just highlighting that the basis for your viewpoints with regard to drugs is a contradcition.

What are you basig that on? Specifcially?

People I see, lads with their brains like deep fried eggs and the ability to struggle to formulate sentences. Dopes who cannot hold their crap together, all smokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

Cannabis is a gateway drug and people go soft in the head over time, so effects are not immediately seen.

You should really spend more time into looking what fantastic cottage industry that was started by Myrtle Allen and Darina really made it flourish and now how the brand has been run into the ground with controversy.

The "I was young and impressionable and lead by the big boys" story is running with anyone, least of all the Judge.

Bill Clinton, Brian Cowen and Ruari Quinn smoked it, did they end up in the gutter

Tomaldo wrote: »
    Bill Clinton, Brian Cowen and Ruari Quinn smoked it, did they end up in the gutter

Bill Clinton didnt inhale so that doesnt count. Cowen..... lets not go there.

My wife had to deal with our messy nephew this morning who was off his head. The little **** smashed the gate of his mothers house, tried to kick in the door. Then he took his daughter and drove off. A guard caught him without NCT, insurance or tax. You could try to see how my view is tinted by dick heads like him.

People I see, lads with their brains like deep fried eggs and the ability to struggle to formulate sentences. Dopes who cannot hold their crap together, all smokers.
    please tell me how cannabis ruined Paul McCartney's and Mick Jagger's brains, they both made millions from their music, 'dated' the most beautiful women on the planet, received knighthoods and have been idolized for decades

• Advertisement

please tell me how cannabis ruined Paul McCartney's and Mick Jagger's brains, they both made millions from their music, 'dated' the most beautiful women on the planet, received knighthoods and have been idolized for decades

I honestly believe it affects some more than others. I think they do it for only a few years. Jagger and bowie and McCartney are all about yoga and veganism. Any lads who have been hard on drugs have all been dead at 27.

Sadly Clinton’s and Cowen’s health was very much affected by smoking. Cannabis inhaled is certainly destructive to physical health, not so sure about ingestion. Apart from Quinn, they are very poor examples of health.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

If they hadn't smoked do you think they would have been business leaders?
    I know loads of people that smoke grass and drink beer. It's the same spas that drink too much beer who smoke too much weed and it's the same that be sensible with both that have qualifications and jobs sorted.

I honestly believe it affects some more than others. I think they do it for only a few years. Jagger and bowie and McCartney are all about yoga and veganism. Any lads who have been hard on drugs have all been dead at 27.

And poor David Bowie passed away somewhat prematurely from liver cancer. Not sure of cause of this but his heart was in an extremely bad shape too, from smoking. We know cigarettes are the big culprits, but why keep adding substances into society that don’t contribute much socially except to damage health. I used to smoke a lot of cigarettes, thankfully gave up inn1995.

what about Keith Richards, Elton John, Ringo Starr and Eric Clapton, they took hard drugs and are still alive in their seventies

• Advertisement

Sadly Clinton’s and Cowen’s health was very much affected by smoking. Cannabis inhaled is certainly destructive to physical health, not so sure about ingestion. Apart from Quinn, they are very poor examples of health.

Bill Clinton is 73, Cowen is 60, a lot of health-fanatics don't reach those milestones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Makes perfect sense to go with the .0001% that buck the trend.

They'd make a great cover for health and fitness, all smoking and drinking.

what about Keith Richards, Elton John, Ringo Starr and Eric Clapton, they took hard drugs and are still alive in their seventies

A lot didn't.

Vestiapx wrote: »
    If they hadn't smoked do you think they would have been business leaders?
    I know loads of people that smoke grass and drink beer. It's the same spas that drink too much beer who smoke too much weed and it's the same that be sensible with both that have qualifications and jobs sorted.

I have no idea, the lads I knew were smart and were much much smarter than me. They could have been amazing programmers but the couldnt pass a first year operating systems exam..... that is pathetic.

Yeah its always the same dopes get hooked on it and another group have their job after college usually due to affiliations and old money.

And poor David Bowie passed away somewhat prematurely from liver cancer. Not sure of cause of this but his heart was in an extremely bad shape too, from smoking. We know cigarettes are the big culprits, but why keep adding substances into society that don’t contribute much socially except to damage health. I used to smoke a lot of cigarettes, thankfully gave up inn1995.

Bowie was 69 when he died from cancer, not a bad innings

beauf wrote: »
    A lot didn't.

See the population of Mechants Quay project, all started with a bit of weed.

Bowie was 69 when he died from cancer, not a bad innings

69 is not good, that is barely average for the western world. He should have at least hit 80.

69 is not good, that is barely average for the western world. He should have at least hit 80.

He was lot older than Amy Winehouse and George Best when they died and it wasn't illegal drugs that killed them

He was lot older than Amy Winehouse and George Best when they died and it wasn't illegal drugs that killed them

Oh I am fully aware of the the destructive power of alcohol and prescription drugs. I only saw recently the nastier side of alcohol. Amy was a big fan of all sorts of drugs as well.

You mentioend you work with the homelsss (or did) so that's understandable, but it's a very specific and non-reflective demographic on which to form a viewpoint, because you ignore the many many people who use it and continue to function perfectly ok. If a guy told you he worled with acolholics and told you alcohol was a gateway drug that destroyed people lives, would you agree with him? And bear in mind, we've already dismissed the links between legality and danger as being false.

Also, from what you mention above, it also sounds like these guys were smoking or abusing something stronger drugs than cannabis.

• Advertisement

... very specific and non-reflective demographic on which to form a viewpoint, because you ignore the many many people who use it and continue to function perfectly ok. ....

I assume you mean non "representative"

You are doing the same thing in reverse. Ignoring the people it's causes problems with. What % of a user group need to have problems to require controlling a substance.

Which is interesting considering the current pandemic statistics.

beauf wrote: »
    I assume you mean non "representative"

You are doing the same thing in reverse. Ignoring the people it's causes problems with. What % of a user group need to have problems to require controlling a substance.

Which is interesting considering the current pandemic statistics.

Not at all - I totally accept that it causes problems to some people, all drugs do - but that's not what makes it a "gateway drug" and nor does it form a legal basis for prohibition.

You mentioend you work with the homelsss (or did) so that's understandable, but it's a very specific and non-reflective demographic on which to form a viewpoint, because you ignore the many many people who use it and continue to function perfectly ok. If a guy told you he worled with acolholics and told you alcohol was a gateway drug that destroyed people lives, would you agree with him? And bear in mind, we've already dismissed the links between legality and danger as being false.

Also, from what you mention above, it also sounds like these guys were smoking or abusing something stronger drugs than cannabis.

I did work with the homeless about 15 years ago. It was an eye opening experience. Yeah Alcohol is a gateway drug. I didnt dismiss any link between danger and legality. Nope they were just hash heads I was in college with.

Not at all - I totally accept that it causes problems to some people, all drugs do - but that's not what makes it a "gateway drug" and nor does it form a legal basis for prohibition.

Why do you think it's a gateway drug then?

What's the legal basis for controlling it then?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭shafty100

from research done recently it concluded that alcohol was the more likely the gateway drug as people were more likely to experiment when under the influence of alcohol,ive no link to the article. i think with most substances some who may have addictive personalities and are more prone to addiction . alcohol kills over a millo
    ion worldwide and is socially acceptable , cannabis can affect mental health in teenage users and heavy users of any age .the potency levels are also a lot higher these days and can be very addictive to people. i cant see it getting legalised in ireland in the foreseeable future as the vintners have a very powerfull lobby in the state but it would be no harm if it was legalised as it would take huge cash away from the drug gangs and tourism would benefit ,in reality if someone chooses to use it they can buy it very easily .

shafty100 wrote: »
    from research done recently it concluded that alcohol was the more likely the gateway drug as people were more likely to experiment when under the influence of alcohol,ive no link to the article. i think with most substances some who may have addictive personalities and are more prone to addiction . alcohol kills over a millo
    ion worldwide and is socially acceptable , cannabis can affect mental health in teenage users and heavy users of any age .the potency levels are also a lot higher these days and can be very addictive to people. i cant see it getting legalised in ireland in the foreseeable future as the vintners have a very powerfull lobby in the state but it would be no harm if it was legalised as it would take huge cash away from the drug gangs and tourism would benefit ,in reality if someone chooses to use it they can buy it very easily .

Tourism wouldnt benefit. Nobody wants to come to cities to see dirty drugs users and the problems they cause. I agree though that if you have a disposition to addictive substances, you will find them. If you seek them there will be a market for them.
    I see cannabis being legalised mabe in 10-15 years. I didnt say I liked it, it will be another part of our society going down the hatch in the Greater Agenda. The last thing I saw that dropped my jaw was addicts being treated as "patients". You are warned at every twist and turn about the dangers of illegal drugs and if you choose to pursue it after that its all on you. Then there are the people who have to put up with addicts behaviour in families and communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Im not sure how the drug habits of celebrities are useful to this discussion. Skooter is right though- cannabis is a gateway drug, no ones goes straight for a bag of heroin and ends up on the streets the next day. Most users never go far beyond cannabis but it is the first drug they try, we've all been there in our teenage years.

Weed is generally harmless at least compared to alcohol. But those who do smoke everyday tend to lose all their motivation for work and other things. They're still functional people but they're not operating at their best, I think anyone who knows a stoner recognises that.

Anyway Im alright with Joshua being out. I dont see any value or benefit to society in locking him up at a huge cost to the taxpayer for five or six years. Its actually a mandatory 10 year sentence for what he got caught with but judges never apply it. While this 20k worth of weed he imported wasnt his first rodeo it was the first time he was caught. He has had an extremely sharp shock to the system and a loud wake up call so the likelihood now is that he will never offend again. If he does and tries to pull another stunt like this one then it is time to throw the book at him, but not now on his first offence. Everyone deserves a second chance where non-violent crime is involved.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Most users never go far beyond cannabis but it is the first drug they try, we've all been there in our teenage years.

Weed is generally harmless at least compared to alcohol. But those who do smoke everyday tend to lose all their motivation for work and other things. They're still functional people but they're not operating at their best, I think anyone who knows a stoner recognises that.

Anyway Im alright with Joshua being out. I dont see any value or benefit to society in locking him up at a huge cost to the taxpayer for five or six years. Its actually a mandatory 10 year sentence for what he got caught with but judges never apply it. While this 20k worth of weed he imported wasnt his first rodeo it was the first time he was caught. He has had an extremely sharp shock to the system and a loud wake up call so the likelihood now is that he will never offend again. If he does and tries to pull another stunt like this one then it is time to throw the book at him, but not now on his first offence. Everyone deserves a second chance where non-violent crime is involved.

Had plenty of opportunities to try cannabis, it never appealed to me and the people who used it never appealed to me. One of my housemates worked for an MNC tech Corp and in the space of 3 months, while I knew him, he smoked, played World of Warcraft, while smoking and was sacked from his job.

Unless Rachael pays away Joshuas crime, he is going to find it very hard to get on in life. She will though, she saw this coming a long while off and she took no action. He is not invested in the family business, he is no good at school, he does hard drugs(he was in possession of Cocaine). He will be back at it in no time. This guy isnt going to be the face of the next generation at Ballymaloe

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭shafty100

your spot on in most of what you say but what pisses most people of is the celebrities son gets a slap on the wrist and we all predicted this and once again it just confirms the dysfunctional judicary that we have to tolerate

• Advertisement

Had plenty of opportunities to try cannabis, it never appealed to me and the people who used it never appealed to me. One of my housemates worked for an MNC tech Corp and in the space of 3 months, while I knew him, he smoked, played World of Warcraft, while smoking and was sacked from his job.

Unless Rachael pays away Joshuas crime, he is going to find it very hard to get on in life. She will though, she saw this coming a long while off and she took no action. He is not invested in the family business, he is no good at school, he does hard drugs(he was in possession of Cocaine). He will be back at it in no time. This guy isnt going to be the face of the next generation at Ballymaloe

it depends on what line of work he gets involved in, Diego Maradona took cocaine and according to Off the Ball, he was paid 10,000 sterling per day for the duration of the last World Cup to be an ambassaador, people mob him for a selfie and in Argentina and elsewhere he is a God

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement