Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rachel Allen’s son arrested for €30,000 drugs seizure

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Why are you going on about the US? Deflect deflect deflect.

You said there is no advantage of being a director of a company. Obviously not.

Irishman80 wrote: »
    Whatever was profitable - continued abuse, then possible use for organ harvesting, and finally death and burial in an unmarked grave like dirt somewhere is Asia. All to satisfy twisted people like some in the Allen family.

You really need to consider your vocal support for them.

I have consistently critised the Allen family but that doesnt suit your agenda. There are other people on this thread who have accussed me of raking up muck about the allens. I cannot win.

Irishman80 wrote: »
    ..............Allen family.

...........support for them.

I can't understand how anyone buys any of their produce or books etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

in and of itself there are no advantages to be a director of a limited company. there MAY be advantages but that is all. on the other hand there are always responsibilities for a director

in and of itself there are no advantages to be a director of a limited company. there MAY be advantages but that is all. on the other hand there are always responsibilities for a director

With the payment come the peeves. T'is better than staying at home and doing nothing. It can be a tool for younger members of the family to learn the business. I think it looks impressive on a CV that you were thought highly to be put on the board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

Augeo wrote: »

I think that the relish, etc. is made by another branch of the family. Not a relish fan myself and I do my shopping in Aldi, so no concerns there. I think that the Cully & Sully brand was sold. There’s some other food brand connected to the Allen family but again, how much connection there is between then and the Ballymaloe family I don’t know. It’s hard to tell sometimes what you’re buying.

I do however know that in Cork it’s very easy to go somewhere for food and only realise after that there’s a connection to the family there. Research needs to be done unfortunately.

As for the books, etc. I do think that Rory O’Connell and Darina are the actual talents in the family. I don’t buy the books but I am guilty of Googling recipes and using them for free.

Do I think that they’re an ethical bunch? Hell no. Do I believe that Tim covered for his son? I don’t know but I do believe that they’d do anything to protect the family brand and sacrificing one to save another when it all comes down to the bottom line isn’t beyond them from what I have heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Effects wrote: »
    He's winning races. Money can't buy that for you. He might not make F1 but you have to chase your dreams. You just seem like you have given up on yours, and are bitter as a result.

Everybody's parents help their children with the their careers, as well as other parts of life. That's part of being a good parent.
    How many races has he actually won?

All I see on his CV is represented?

I would have thought his race wins would be front and centre in block capitals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I think that the relish, etc. is made by another branch of the family. Not a relish fan myself and I do my shopping in Aldi, so no concerns there. I think that the Cully & Sully brand was sold. There’s some other food brand connected to the Allen family but again, how much connection there is between then and the Ballymaloe family I don’t know. It’s hard to tell sometimes what you’re buying.

I do however know that in Cork it’s very easy to go somewhere for food and only realise after that there’s a connection to the family there. Research needs to be done unfortunately.

As for the books, etc. I do think that Rory O’Connell and Darina are the actual talents in the family. I don’t buy the books but I am guilty of Googling recipes and using them for free.

Do I think that they’re an ethical bunch? Hell no. Do I believe that Tim covered for his son? I don’t know but I do believe that they’d do anything to protect the family brand and sacrificing one to save another when it all comes down to the bottom line isn’t beyond them from what I have heard.

What ever about Rory O'Connell having talent, he has zero charisma on television and is far to precious for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,601 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Augeo wrote: »

I was never pushed about there relish but I worked in a Supermarket a bit after everything happened and it was a massively popular product.
    Similarly with there cookery school. It's very popular with people for doing courses especially with those who opens, works in café, deli's, etc.
    The only place I ever really hear about people boycotting the brand is on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,055 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i tried their mint jelly and it's amzing but only because it's turns your lamb chops into sweets :)

• Advertisement

Seamai wrote: »
    What ever about Rory O'Connell having talent, he has zero charisma on television and is far to precious for my liking.

You still watch RTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

With the payment come the peeves. T'is better than staying at home and doing nothing. It can be a tool for younger members of the family to learn the business. I think it looks impressive on a CV that you were thought highly to be put on the board.

there is no guarantee of payment for a company director. and the young lad you mentioned in your PM was never a director.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

You still watch RTE?

I tend to dip in and out of cookery programmes no matter what channel they're on and unlike many here who wear their "Oh I never watch RTÉ" badge, thinking they are superior to those who do, yes sometimes I do, if something is worth watching, there's tripe on every channel. I probably watch far less television than most here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Irishman80

I have consistently critised the Allen family but that doesnt suit your agenda. There are other people on this thread who have accussed me of raking up muck about the allens. I cannot win.

That's fair enough. I didn't read through the whole 150 pages.

If you believe your story about Tim, you need to understand that he is protecting a paedophile who is a danger to children. He is not a good man or misguided.

I was in town one day last year in a Supermarket and I live about 80km away from the Allen's. I bumped into this woman and sad Hello because I thought I knew her and I got a very friendly Hello back and smile. I couldn't put my finger on it and thought she looked like Rachel Allen.
    Then in the carpark she got into a Range Rover.
    I think she might have been avoiding shopping local.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭Be right back

I was in town one day last year in a Supermarket and I live about 80km away from the Allen's. I bumped into this woman and sad Hello because I thought I knew her and I got a very friendly Hello back and smile. I couldn't put my finger on it and thought she looked like Rachel Allen.

I saw her in Cork city last Thursday. I also went to a fundraiser a few years, where she held a cooking demonstration. Seemed like a nice person.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,078 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No, I didn't. Try again.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Money can get you the best car and the best team, which gets you a hell of a lot of the way there...

The "investment" thing seems dodgy as hell and just reinforces the sense of entitlement and detachment from reality of this family.

Investments like that are perfectly common, several successful drivers got their start that way - Justin Wilson, Scott Dixon etc. And I'm sure it's even more common in the 20 years since they were at that level.

Will he get to F1? Really doubt it, but he might be able to make a career of it in GT or prototype racing, which is no bad thing. (After all there's already another Corkonian racing for Ferrari as a factory driver, while he's not on Lewis Hamilton money, he's probably earning more than several drivers.)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Angler1

My heart goes out to the Allen family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Investments like that are perfectly common, several successful drivers got their start that way - Justin Wilson, Scott Dixon etc. And I'm sure it's even more common in the 20 years since they were at that level.

Will he get to F1? Really doubt it, but he might be able to make a career of it in GT or prototype racing, which is no bad thing. (After all there's already another Corkonian racing for Ferrari as a factory driver, while he's not on Lewis Hamilton money, he's probably earning more than several drivers.)

If anyone would seriously consider investing in that pile of scutter then I know a Nigerian prince who needs a bit of cash to claim his throne. You'd make more profit if you took your cash and doused it in petrol and burned it to a crisp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭golfball37

I heard also that she is a lovely lady from someone who had dealings with her, no heirs and graces at all. In Ireland we dismiss someone with a posh accent as a snob, same way we do with an inner city accent as a skanger. Both wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Balagan1

Terrible challenge ahead for this lad and his family. The learning difficulties, being from a "celebrity" circle, the shadow of his grandfather's conviction, the good looks, the lack of education and the family finances enabling him to have independence all make for a huge obstacles to overcoming a drug habit that started so young and extended to dealing. The law must deal with him now. Hope he and they all survive this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

I have no idea who this one is

Balagan1 wrote: »
    Terrible challenge ahead for this lad and his family. The learning difficulties, being from a "celebrity" circle, the shadow of his grandfather's conviction, the good looks, the lack of education and the family finances enabling him to have independence all make for a huge obstacles to overcoming a drug habit that started so young and extended to dealing. The law must deal with him now. Hope he and they all survive this.
    Once the law deal with you your options and work opportunities are screwed

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    If anyone would seriously consider investing in that pile of scutter then I know a Nigerian prince who needs a bit of cash to claim his throne. You'd make more profit if you took your cash and doused it in petrol and burned it to a crisp.

It’s not usually about profit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

It’s not usually about profit

Yeah but surely using the term investment like they are implies that someday young Lucca will be a big cheese in the racing world whether in F1 or another discipline and there'll be some sort of return for your cash.

theballz wrote: »
    I have no idea who this one is

http://letmegooglethat.com/?q=Rachel+Allen

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I wonder what happens him now. AFAIR his sentence for the 20k worth of weed was 15 months but between the rehab course he attended in Cluin Mhuire and the time spent on remand he did around four months in total and the other 11 were suspended. Will the judge now put him back in prison to serve those 11 months? By rights thats would should happen if a condition of suspending his sentence was he stay away from drugs which clearly he has not given he has now been arrested last week for drug driving.

Its a pretty stupid mistake by him as well. He knew he was a marked man by the Gardai and should have known that if they stopped him in his car at a checkpoint they were always going to seize the opportunity to drug test him. He's failed that now and could be looking at a further 11 months in prison over it. That could be one very costly joint that he smoked.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

If you were in the trade around Cork city at the time you would know about it.

What trade are you referring to?

Must have been the drugs trade as I worked - in a senior kitchen role- in the high end restaurant/hotel trade in a venue that had a friendly rivalry with the Allens/Ballymaloe and I have no idea what you are talking about.

TBH in the restaurant trade the various offspring of the 'important' restaurant families were usually seen as spoilt brats (with some notable exceptions) who wouldn't work in an Iron Lung but did like to throw their weight around.
    The Allens were no different in that regard.
    It was kind of accepted that if you come from a 'restaurant/hotel' family you had a kind of sh*tty childhood in a poor little rich kid kind of way so ended up with 'issues'.

On Tim - everyone I knew felt he was guilty as charged.

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    What trade are you referring to?

Must have been the drugs trade as I worked - in a senior kitchen role- in the high end restaurant/hotel trade in a venue that had a friendly rivalry with the Allens/Ballymaloe and I have no idea what you are talking about.

TBH in the restaurant trade the various offspring of the 'important' restaurant families were usually seen as spoilt brats (with some notable exceptions) who wouldn't work in an Iron Lung but did like to throw their weight around.
    The Allens were no different in that regard.
    It was kind of accepted that if you come from a 'restaurant/hotel' family you had a kind of sh*tty childhood in a poor little rich kid kind of way so ended up with 'issues'.

On Tim - everyone I knew felt he was guilty as charged.

I trained in Cork as a chef at the time. I knew ex grads of Ballymaloe and they wouldnt talk about it. Chef arent always the nicest of people, hence I moved onto something else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement