Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Gaelic Football lost it's appeal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Seems to be that most of the proposals, including those from Earley, are designed to turn the game into a lotto; in effect to award mediocre teams by forcing the better teams to randomly boot the ball into 50:50 situations.

Change to the kick out already made, and the introduction of the mark were steps in that direction. and guess what? The better more positive and skilful and athletic teams have been the ones to benefit. The anti football teams either invariably go short or still crowd and drag midfielders. Is there a better high fielder than Fenton, Buckley, Aidan O'Shea? Perhaps they should introduce a rule preventing such players from jumping higher than 6 inches from the ground.

Just look at the dogs dinner that was the Slaughneil/Magherafelt game.

Are people seriously proposing that Slaughneil ought to have facilitated that by having to kick into the breeze beyond 45 metres? Or to radndomly boot the ball into a collection of lumbering oafs all standing within 30 metres of their own goal?

Does anyone seriously believe that would improve football as a spectacle?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭elefant

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Seems to be that most of the proposals, including those from Earley, are designed to turn the game into a lotto; in effect to award mediocre teams by forcing the better teams to randomly boot the ball into 50:50 situations.

You're absolutely right.

This has been mentioned a number of times on here, but we're still getting suggestions about limiting consecutive handpasses (or banning them completely?) and limiting where on the pitch the attacking team can play the ball. These suggestions are coming from all angles in the media too.

Magherafelt could just line up exactly the same way again in this innovative new world, except with Slaughtneill disallowed from hand-passing the ball, their massed defence would be more effective. This is exactly the kind of change we need to get us to the 0-2/0-2 draw stage that you predicted a few posts above.

Can anyone explain, specifically, how eliminating the hand-pass would encourage positive play? Would it be an improvement to be forcing teams to just lump ball into a crowded space in front of a goal?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭corny

I was delighted to see Slaughtneil do what they did. Farcical situations like these will eventually force the GAA to act. I just hope they realise its the blanket defence to blame and not the handpass.

It'll get better/worse too. Teams will be emboldened by seeing Dublin/Slaughtneil playing keep ball. Eventually a team will get in front and realise if they hold possession for the rest of the game against a team that refuses to come out they win easy. Play keep ball under no pressure for 60 mins if you have to. Makes a farce of the game, the spectacle, the competition, etc, but you still win. A no risk, easy win...... sure why wouldn't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

elefant wrote: »
    You're absolutely right.

This has been mentioned a number of times on here, but we're still getting suggestions about limiting consecutive handpasses (or banning them completely?) and limiting where on the pitch the attacking team can play the ball. These suggestions are coming from all angles in the media too.

Magherafelt could just line up exactly the same way again in this innovative new world, except with Slaughtneill disallowed from hand-passing the ball, their massed defence would be more effective. This is exactly the kind of change we need to get us to the 0-2/0-2 draw stage that you predicted a few posts above.

Can anyone explain, specifically, how eliminating the hand-pass would encourage positive play? Would it be an improvement to be forcing teams to just lump ball into a crowded space in front of a goal?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

You'd have to introduce a reduction in handpassing in addition to a restrction of the blanket defence.

I suspect the vast majority of football fans like seeing the ball being kicked long and they like seeing contests for the ball.

Change to the kick out already made, and the introduction of the mark were steps in that direction. and guess what? The better more positive and skilful and athletic teams have been the ones to benefit. The anti football teams either invariably go short or still crowd and drag midfielders. Is there a better high fielder than Fenton, Buckley, Aidan O'Shea? Perhaps they should introduce a rule preventing such players from jumping higher than 6 inches from the ground.

Just look at the dogs dinner that was the Slaughneil/Magherafelt game.

Are people seriously proposing that Slaughneil ought to have facilitated that by having to kick into the breeze beyond 45 metres? Or to radndomly boot the ball into a collection of lumbering oafs all standing within 30 metres of their own goal?

Does anyone seriously believe that would improve football as a spectacle?

The sport is supposed to be a form of entertainment, more 50/50 contests means more entertainment.

All rule changes will benefit better team so I really don't know why you seem to think they are designed to restrict better teams, any rule changes are about improving the average game not stopping better teams playing well.

• Advertisement

Exactly corny. What annoys me is that most of the proposed changes are designed to penalise teams that play positively and award negativity.

People should really make a point of reading what McGuinness wrote before the final.

The reductio ad absurdum of his proposal is that a team keeps possession within their own 40 and basically refuses to play in case they might concede a score.

That is what Donegal tried to do to a large extent in 2011 semi final. In 2014 they beat Dublin through superb individual displays and well taken goals. Dublin missed chance of putting game beyond reach in first half when dominating possession, and then left themselves open in absence of Ger at chb, and naïve defence, but that was their problem. Donegal fully deserved the win and ran up a big score.

Unfortunately the myth was then created that "Jimmy's winning matches" had come up with a master plan to stifle Dublin. Bullsh1t and he has been called out on that by some of Donegal players who played that day who seem not to recall his genius at half time!

The consequence of that is that many teams without an ounce of the talent Donegal had in 2014 now believe that the key to success (which seems to be defined as not getting beaten by too much!) is to refuse to play the game as it is supposed to be played. It is they and McGuinness; not the Dublins, Mayos, Kerry, Corofins and Slaughtneils who are responsible for the worst aspects of the game, and yet as with so many other things in life, it is proposed to reward them for their negativity.

The sport is supposed to be a form of entertainment, more 50/50 contests means more entertainment.

It is entertaining when played by positive teams at inter county and club level.

Sport is about winning. Do rugby teams constantly kick Garryowns. Do NFL quarter backs just throw 50 yard hail Marys? Do Barcelona rain speculative long range passes onto Messi? Eh, no they don't.

Good teams in all sports playing negative teams hold possession and wear them down and create turnovers and scoring opportunities. They are under no obligation to either facilitate negativity or to provide entertainment for the sake of it.

It is entertaining when played by positive teams at inter county and club level.

Sport is about winning. Do rugby teams constantly kick Garryowns. Do NFL quarter backs just throw 50 yard hail Marys? Do Barcelona rain speculative long range passes onto Messi? Eh, no they don't.

Good teams in all sports playing negative teams hold possession and wear them down and create turnovers and scoring opportunities. They are under no obligation to either facilitate negativity or to provide entertainment for the sake of it.

But those are different sports, therefore comparisons are not really relevant.

Football fans in general like seeing contests for the ball it's the type of football people were brought up on it's the way the game was played until the early 2000's, the most crowd noise in the all ireland final came when Tyrone started hitting it long into Cavanagh.

It's not up teams to play into the hands of there opponensts but it up to the GAA to ensure the game is played more positively and if banning the blanket defence achieves that and if forcing more long kicking aids entertainment then it should be tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭tritium

Football fans in general like seeing contests for the ball it's the type of football people were brought up on it's the way the game was played until the early 2000's, the most crowd noise in the all ireland final came when Tyrone started hitting it long into Cavanagh.

It's not up teams to play into the hands of there opponensts but it up to the GAA to ensure the game is played more positively and if banning the blanket defence achieves that and if forcing more long kicking aids entertainment then it should be tried.

I grew up watching soccer before the rules on the back pass were changed.

Doesn’t mean I don’t recognize the ****e that the previous rules facilitated

Most suggested rules changes seem to be about penalising the more skillful and proactive teams. That’s wrong. More often than not the reason there’s no contest for the ball is that one team is bunched into a small area of the pitch near their goal. Deal with the blanket defence and define the tackle clearly and see how it works. Imho those two things would be enough.

tritium wrote: »
    I grew up watching soccer before the rules on the back pass were changed.

Doesn’t mean I don’t recognize the ****e that the previous rules facilitated

Most suggested rules changes seem to be about penalising the more skillful and proactive teams. That’s wrong. More often than not the reason there’s no contest for the ball is that one team is bunched into a small area of the pitch near their goal. Deal with the blanket defence and define the tackle clearly and see how it works. Imho those two things would be enough.

The tackle is clearly defined.

I've already suggsted that the blanket defence should be dealt with but although it might solve that problem it won't fully solve the endless handpassing problem teams might attack more but just choose to constantly handpass the ball up and down the field.

• Advertisement

When Dublin play against Kerry and Mayo they don't look to hold possession or move it slowly through the hands. Watch any game between them in the last 5 years and you'll see the ball kicked into space with forwards making runs onto it. Why? Because Mayo and Kerry fancy themselves and they're looking to best Dublin in an open contest. Some of the most exciting games ever played have been played between them and they're normally littered with turnovers too. The problem only arises when one team (or both) wants to withdraw and defend in numbers. In that scenario Dublin won't kick the ball and will rely on the hand pass. Make no mistake though this is a necessity not a choice. The blanket defence works! If you kick the ball against it you will get isolated and lose possession. Why would you choose to do that? A far more prudent solution is to look after possession and wait for your opportunity. Thats exactly what we're seeing evolve at present.

Stop teams defending in numbers and there'll be no issue with the spectacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

But how?

D9Male wrote: »
    But how?

You'd could just a limit on the number of players allowed in the defensive half of the field.

Of course people will have problems with this in that:
    • It will be difficult for referees to track (particularly at club level)
    • You will see players chasing their marker and then having to stop and give up once they get to a certain part of the field.

For me, those problems make the proposal insurmountable.

D9Male wrote: »
    But how?

How indeed.

When you have a situation where Mickey Harte, the manager of a team in an All Ireland final, says afterwards that he viewed the second half as "damage limitation," where do you go from there?

We saw numerous instances in the Summer of teams who were 5/6/7 points down continuing to deploy a blanket and mindnumbingly pass the ball back and forth across their own lines in their own half.

In the AI final Tyrone only had one forward inside Dublin half until last ten minutes when they put Cavanagh on the edge of the square. Seriously, what were they expecting/hoping to happen before that?

the final was over at half time. Not because Dublin adopted a negative approach, but because Tyrone had no plan to win, other than perhaps having built a half time lead and then staying in their own half half. At least we were spared that.

You'd could just a limit on the number of players allowed in the defensive half of the field.

Of course people will have problems with this in that:
    • It will be difficult for referees to track (particularly at club level)
    • You will see players chasing their marker and then having to stop and give up once they get to a certain part of the field.

Linesmen could monitor it. Lord knows they do **** all else.

I don't see the problem with the second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Has Gaelic football lost its appeal? Or has the All Ireland lost its appeal? I know i enjoy club football and enjoy some games at Junior A, Intermediate and even Senior games in my county. But i havent gone to see my County team play for a couple of years. Its just not enjoyable watching 2 unevenly matched teams play. The All-Ireland series really needs to be revamped and the Super 8s just doesnt cut it.

When KK were winning their 4 in a row, everyone wanted to see them knocked off their perch. However while they were winning All-Irelands handsomely, the teams behind them that were in 'the pack', were either in transition or enduring a few bad years. But there was 'BELIEF' within those counties like Tipp, Cork, Waterford, Clare, Galway and Limerick (**) that they could bridge the gap. And they did eventually, we have seen over the last decade that they have with the spread of All-Ireland's.

Dublin have raised the bar in football and i hear Dublin fans saying its up to other counties to catch them (of which they are right but they need help). In my view the chasing pack in football have a mountain to climb and a beast (which the GAA have helped created) to overcome. Only Kerry are capable of winning in the next 2 years and it would take a monumental effort to do so. Realistically do Tyrone, Mayo or Galway have any hope or winning an All Ireland in the next 10 years? What of Meath, Kildare, Donegal, Monaghan and Cork? I think these teams would just be happy to get to the Super 8's for the next 10 years. That would be success for them.

Dublin are a super team but the Leinster championship is not a spectacle and the All-Ireland series isnt either. Its only at the semi final stage you might hope to see quality. The qualifying rounds are god damn awful, and only a means to end for some counties and a second bite at the cherry for the others but all in the knowledge that they will never get near the cherry!!

** maybe even in Wexford & Dublin had this belief as well

• Registered Users Posts: 27,675 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There was nothing to stop Tyrone kicking it long into Cavanagh for 70 minutes. That they chose not to do so reflects on them, rather than on the state of football, or of Dublin's dominance.

It was said on the Sunday Game on All-Ireland night - the only way you will beat the Dubs is to take them on for 70 minutes. As a Dublin fan, it would be great to see a team actually give us a game.

damowill wrote: »

When KK were winning their 4 in a row, everyone wanted to see them knocked off their perch. However while they were winning All-Irelands handsomely, the teams behind them that were in 'the pack', were either in transition or enduring a few bad years. But there was 'BELIEF' within those counties like Tipp, Cork, Waterford, Clare, Galway and Limerick (**) that they could bridge the gap. And they did eventually, we have seen over the last decade that they have with the spread of All-Ireland's.

All of that is completely unprovable though. You don't have (or at least haven't given) any evidence to suggest Dublins dominance is eternal. As far as you know Dublin and KK are exactly the same in that the pack will eventually catch up.

This sense of foreboding could only follow Dublin around. If Kerry had won 6 from 8 to add to their 5 minors there just wouldn't be the same sense of futility. Its strange. It really is.

I think the two issues are separate.

Dublin are dominant

Gaelic football is losing its appeal

I don't think the two are related very much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

shockframe wrote: »
    The attendance drop is largely explained by Galway who have always had fairly dreadful support or such a big county.

You put Kerry, Mayo and Tyrone in their place and there would be close to a full house.

I remember the days when Dublin in a semi final could fill the place with their own fans.
    Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    For every negative story published there is a positive story waiting to get out. To counter the Slaughtneil debacle at the weekend, Kerins O'Rahillys beat Dr Crokes at the weekend on a scoreline of 3-18 to 2-17! It's a shame we can't take a leaf out of the hurling fraternity and promote the good news stories a bit more!

Ehh we have been trying to get away from that shtye where all the bad stuff was hidden away in this country.

Burying your head in the sand and not speaking about the huge problems will not make them go away, it will just mean they will get much worse before anything is done.

There are a few issues facing the GAA hierarchy.

And one is where football in particular has gone.
    It is now all about fitness, it is all about stats, it is all about maintaining possession.
    From what I can see to counter better teams weaker (or perceived weaker) teams realised you didn't have to individually go toe to toe with the better teams and that is where blanket defenses were born.
    It is akin to a weaker soccer team "parking the bus" when City/united/chelsea/Barca/Real come to visit.
    On the one hand no one wants to be humiliated, but on the other your chances of winning are decreased and it can make for a horrible spectacle.

The other part of where football has gone is the cost of fielding a top county team or even a top club team has really gone up when you add in all the time and experts that are now involved.

And players are also now suffering due to the huge commitments involved.
    It is gas when you compare the hermit like existence some teams put their amateur players through against that of for instance professional rugby players.

Outside of the state of the actual football the GAA is also facing the Dublin question.

Dublin fans may not like it, but the unvarnished truth is the GAA have created a huge uncompetitiveness when they awoke the sleeping giant of Dublin.
    Dublin is the size of a province in terms of population.
    Yes yes we all know there are other sports to compete against, but FFS one would swear that no one outside Dublin ever did anything bar play football.

Dublin has the advantage of probably all their players living working in a very small geographical area, all manner of fitness and recuperative facilities on their doorstep and a huge market to attract high value sponsors.

Someone posted brogan's article earlier and he states how hard they worked for their All Irelands.
    No one is saying they didn't.
    He claims it has nothing to do with money.

He states how many times (180) they met and trained collectively.
    He mentions how Jim went over to Arsenal to view training methods and how they brought in basketball coaches.

The thing is he doesn't cop on all those things are nigh on impossible for most of the teams in the country.
    Mayo's players are all over the country and dragging your ass back to Mayo to train or meet collectively every other day is not an option.
    One of the Mayo players he played against was the great Ciaran McDonald who trained with various clubs throughout the country where ever he was working that particular week.

And it isn't just Mayo, the same goes for a hell of a lot of counties throughout the country.

How many counties can afford to send their manager over to a PL outfit ?
    How many counties can afford to bring in basketball coaches, although by the looks of it most fooking have. :rolleyes:

With Dublin left as it, I think the inter-county game is doomed.
    You just can't have a competition where one team has huge advantages in terms of player numbers, finance, location, organisational structure, etc.
    And yes it is not Dublin's fault they got their act together.
    But contrary to the bull often uttered by Dublin fans about everyone else just having to up their standards, most other counties cannot ever come near Dublin in terms of some of their advantages.

Yeah every now and then they may slip a little and someone else will pop in, but looking at the setup at the moment (underage development, club structure, etc) we could be looking at Dublin winning half the All Irelands every decade.

That is a depressing scenario.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

corny wrote: »
    All of that is completely unprovable though. You don't have (or at least haven't given) any evidence to suggest Dublins dominance is eternal. As far as you know Dublin and KK are exactly the same in that the pack will eventually catch up.

This sense of foreboding could only follow Dublin around. If Kerry had won 6 from 8 to add to their 5 minors there just wouldn't be the same sense of futility. Its strange. It really is.

Of course its unprovable, otherwise id be able to predict the future!! Its just an opinion.

But the whole competition lacks competition. Dublin and Kerry have won 65 titles between them and contested 100 finals between them. But now we dont even have a Cork team to compete with Kerry and we dont have an Offaly, Meath or Kildare team to even compete with the Dubs. And of those 4 mentioned teams, you and I know they arent even in the pack. So the whole structure of the championship needs to change imo.

jmayo, Mayo spend more on the senior inter county team than any other county.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

jmayo wrote: »
    Ehh we have been trying to get away from that shtye where all the bad stuff was hidden away in this country.

Burying your head in the sand and not speaking about the huge problems will not make them go away, it will just mean they will get much worse before anything is done.

You're equating the state of football with "all the bad stuff that was hidden away in this country"? Might need to get a bit of perspective there!
    I'm not saying bury your head in the sand either btw! I was merely pointing out that some clubs obviously know how to play entertaining football still so maybe we should highlight that so that people can see what they're doing down in Kerry and you know, maybe even learn something from it!

jmayo, Mayo spend more on the senior inter county team than any other county.

Ever driven from Dublin to Mayo twice a week for training ala someone like Tom Parsons ?
    Then add that up over the year and figure out how much that will cost in expenses.
    And he wasn't the only player making trips from Dublin to the West.
    Seamie O'Shea, Jason Doherty, Chris Barrett and Rob Hennelly have all been based in Dublin.

Last year the following were also studying in Dublin.
    Conor Loftus, Stephen Coen, Paddy Durcan, Conor O'Shea and Diarmuid O'Connor.

Cillian O'connor had gone to college in Dromcondra and Jordanstown.
    Neither that close to training in Castlebar.

Last year none of the Kerry team lived, worked or studied in Dublin according to their PRO.

AFAIK Mayo training sessions rarely begin before 8pm because they have to wait for players to arrive from God knows where.
    Then after 10pm they could be on a 2.5/3 hours return trip to be up for work the next day.

Also over the last few years Mayo have been involved in senior football right up to the All Ireland and beyond when you take into account replays.
    Then also add up how they took the scenic route to the All Ireland for a couple of years.

Then compare to Dublin's spend where their players travel at most maybe 20/30 miles and the team never leaves Dublin during the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,675 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Ever driven from Dublin to Mayo twice a week for training ala someone like Tom Parsons ?
    Then add that up over the year and figure out how much that will cost in expenses.
    Seamie O'Shea, Jason Doherty, Chris Barrett and Rob Hennelly have all been based in Dublin.

Last year none of the Kerry team lived, worked or studied in Dublin according to their PRO.

AFAIK Mayo training sessions rarely begin before 8pm because they have to wait for players to arrive from God knows where.
    Then after 10pm they could be on a 2.5/3 hours return trip to be up for work the next day.

Also over the last few years Mayo have been involved in senior football right up to the All Ireland and beyond when you take into account replays.
    Then also add up how they took the scenic route to the All Ireland for a couple of years.

Then compare to Dublin's spend where their players travel at most maybe 20/30 miles and the team never leaves Dublin during the championship.

Any initiative that improves competitiveness should do nothing for Tyrone, Mayo, Galway or Donegal who have gone close in recent years. If you are truly interested in creating a competitive championship, then merging counties must be on the table. Laois/Offaly would be competitive in Leinster. Similarly, Sligo/Leitrim would be competitive in Connacht. If you are not improving the lot of teams like that, then your proposals are driven by envy and jealousy of Dublin's achievements rather than improving competitiveness.

The posters I see objecting to merging counties are generally from Kerry, Mayo, Tyrone, Galway, Donegal and the likes because they don't want increased competition, they just want to take down Dublin in a short-sighted selfish attempt to improve their county's lot.

There are genuine Dublin fans who would be interested in a fair discussion about the competitiveness of the Championship and the ways to improve the lot of the teams that don't win provincial championships or get to All-Ireland quarter-finals but if you think we can't see through the naked attempts to get soft All-Irelands for Mayo or Kerry, then you must think we are fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Gael85

There 4/5 Kerry lads playing with UCD last year. Jack Barry was one of them.

jmayo, I am aware of the travel issues in Mayo but you and others conveniently leave out the actual amounts of money spent on inter county teams. One would almost get the impression that the Dublin senior football team has access to multiples of what is available to yourselves, Kerry, Cork and others.

The main factor in Dublin's current success is a uniquely talented panel(s) of players since 2010 and a brilliant backroom team.

Judging by underage results that will not be replicated in the near future so Dublin like Kilkenny in hurling will come back to the pack. The same pattern has always existed over the generations.

Of course counties like Dublin and a small number of others will always be competitive at inter county football and hurling. Mainly because they put the effort in and maintain high standards. If others cannot be ar$ed then they are also maintaining a tradition; one of mediocrity. Which is their prerogative of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Gael85

He mentions how Jim went over to Arsenal to view training methods and how they brought in basketball coaches.

The thing is he doesn't cop on all those things are nigh on impossible for most of the teams in the country.
    Mayo's players are all over the country and dragging your ass back to Mayo to train or meet collectively every other day is not an option.
    One of the Mayo players he played against was the great Ciaran McDonald who trained with various clubs throughout the country where ever he was working that particular week.

And it isn't just Mayo, the same goes for a hell of a lot of counties throughout the country.

How many counties can afford to send their manager over to a PL outfit ?
    How many counties can afford to bring in basketball coaches, although by the looks of it most fooking have

That is a depressing scenario.[/QUOTE]

Sure tell your new manager to give Barry Solan a shout. He was involved in background as strength & conditioning under Rochford and other Mayo managers and is now involved with Arsenal. I'm Aidan O'Shea could have recommended coach with a basketball background. Jason Sherlock played a lot of basketball in his youth and would played a key role in Dublin tactics.

https://www.arsenal.com/arsenal/staff/barry-solan

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/rochford-set-to-see-out-third-year-as-mayo-manager-36255710.html

• Advertisement

Gael85 wrote: »
    There 4/5 Kerry lads playing with UCD last year. Jack Barry was one of them.

I was quoting from article in the Examiner which quoted Kerry Pro stating that they need not worry about players based in Dublin between drawn and replay semi final in 2017.
    Jack Barry was a sub I see now.
    blanch152 wrote: »
    Any initiative that improves competitiveness should do nothing for Tyrone, Mayo, Galway or Donegal who have gone close in recent years. If you are truly interested in creating a competitive championship, then merging counties must be on the table. Laois/Offaly would be competitive in Leinster. Similarly, Sligo/Leitrim would be competitive in Connacht. If you are not improving the lot of teams like that, then your proposals are driven by envy and jealousy of Dublin's achievements rather than improving competitiveness.

Yes that is the other side of the coin.
    There are some counties that simply do not have the numbers to pull from and yes Sligo and Leitrim are two of those.
    But if we go with your idea of amalgamating the weaker ones then shouldn't that lead to the splitting of Dublin on the opposite side, correct ?
    Or are you disengenous like you claim about me.

Actually the more I see of this the more I actually think the first All Ireland was the way to go with a single county club champion representing the county.
    That way even smaller counties like Carlow would have a chance like when they had a very good Eire Og side.
    blanch152 wrote: »
    The posters I see objecting to merging counties are generally from Kerry, Mayo, Tyrone, Galway, Donegal and the likes because they don't want increased competition, they just want to take down Dublin in a short-sighted selfish attempt to improve their county's lot.

Shortsighted is thinking that Dublin will just be competitive for a few more years and that all those u14s in the likes of Ballyboden or the new clubs popping up in new suburbs will have no long term benefit to the county team.
    BTW AFAIK Ballyboden used to have more u14 than in the entirety of Leitrim.
    Gael85 wrote: »
    Sure tell your new manager to give Barry Solan a shout. He was involved in background as strength & conditioning under Rochford and other Mayo managers and is now involved with Arsenal. I'm Aidan O'Shea could have recommended coach with a basketball background. Jason Sherlock played a lot of basketball in his youth and would played a key role in Dublin tactics.

https://www.arsenal.com/arsenal/staff/barry-solan

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/rochford-set-to-see-out-third-year-as-mayo-manager-36255710.html

Did you notice the word staff there beside Solan's Arsenal profile.
    He was staff just like Jerry Flannery was staff.

Also his brother was u21 manager that won title in 2016.

Oh and fact he was working for Arsenal meant the added cost of having to fly him back and over.
    Then Donie Buckley had to commute from Ennis which was another expense.

BTW thanks for making me do search because just found that Gavin this year drafted in one Lisa Fallon who has a UEFA A coaching licence holder, was completing her Pro licence, is also a member of John Caufield's Cork City set-up and also worked with Michael O'Neill in Northern Ireland.
    Now I wonder was she doing it for free ?

In 2015 he drafted in legendary basketball coach Mark Ingle.

But I guess they are all doing it for free. :rolleyes:

There was a very good basketballer linked to Mayo once upon a time, but Roscommon got him.
    BTW the Mayo players hate him with a vengance.

Advertisement