Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Gaelic Football lost it's appeal?

Options
167891012»

Comments

Central Council toying with the idea of a tiered championship again. The final would be on All Ireland Final day displacing the Minor final.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/secondtier-football-championship-back-on-agenda-37303506.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Central Council toying with the idea of a tiered championship again. The final would be on All Ireland Final day displacing the Minor final.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/secondtier-football-championship-back-on-agenda-37303506.html

The only way a tired final would be treated with respect if on same day as AI senior final. The Tommy Murphy final was played at 12 one year before a AI Quarter Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

Hurling is a fundamentally different game than football with regards of how far and quickly you can move the ball.
    Consequently, the risk/reward of moving the ball in such a manner differs greatly between the two sports. Chances are in football if your player looses that 50/50 dual then your defence is under pressure because you haven't moved the ball far enough up the field.
    I wish people would stop comparing the two sports. It's like watching Barcelona playing tika-taka and giving out the game is too slow because they don't belt it down the field like the hurlers do.

Hurling was always more exciting than football, however football has changed due to a more defensive outlook and that fool from donegal. Even if I agree with your points(which I don't) I don't care 'bout risk and reward if I find what I'm watching is boring, I won't be watching it much longer I think.
    Get rid of the hand pass and flouting of the 4 step rule. There would be more excitement.

elefant wrote: »
    You're absolutely right.

This has been mentioned a number of times on here, but we're still getting suggestions about limiting consecutive handpasses (or banning them completely?) and limiting where on the pitch the attacking team can play the ball. These suggestions are coming from all angles in the media too.

Magherafelt could just line up exactly the same way again in this innovative new world, except with Slaughtneill disallowed from hand-passing the ball, their massed defence would be more effective. This is exactly the kind of change we need to get us to the 0-2/0-2 draw stage that you predicted a few posts above.

Can anyone explain, specifically, how eliminating the hand-pass would encourage positive play? Would it be an improvement to be forcing teams to just lump ball into a crowded space in front of a goal?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Pos/Neg play who cares? If you can't think how abolishing the hand pass would impact on the borefest that is football then you need to try again. It would make teams kick more , that would lead to more contests , more chance of losing/gaining pocession, more excitement.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Seems to be that most of the proposals, including those from Earley, are designed to turn the game into a lotto; in effect to award mediocre teams by forcing the better teams to randomly boot the ball into 50:50 situations.

Change to the kick out already made, and the introduction of the mark were steps in that direction. and guess what? The better more positive and skilful and athletic teams have been the ones to benefit. The anti football teams either invariably go short or still crowd and drag midfielders. Is there a better high fielder than Fenton, Buckley, Aidan O'Shea? Perhaps they should introduce a rule preventing such players from jumping higher than 6 inches from the ground.

Just look at the dogs dinner that was the Slaughneil/Magherafelt game.

Are people seriously proposing that Slaughneil ought to have facilitated that by having to kick into the breeze beyond 45 metres? Or to radndomly boot the ball into a collection of lumbering oafs all standing within 30 metres of their own goal?

Does anyone seriously believe that would improve football as a spectacle?

Yes.

• Advertisement

Whatever about the controversies surrounding the handpass out the field, kicking the ball should be the only allowable method of scoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

lalababa wrote: »
    Pos/Neg play who cares? If you can't think how abolishing the hand pass would impact on the borefest that is football then you need to try again. It would make teams kick more , that would lead to more contests , more chance of losing/gaining pocession, more excitement.

Kick more, no handpass, 11 players on each team, you could try some rule like 'offside' for instance.
    Yes, all these changes will lead to more excitement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Whatever about the controversies surrounding the handpass out the field, kicking the ball should be the only allowable method of scoring.

That doesn't result in a reduction in entertainment value so there is no need to change that, sometimes punching the ball over the bar is the only option available as a player can get bottled up in close to the goals and has no space or angle to kick the ball over the bar, same applies for goals which are punched as it's the quickest way of transferring the ball to the net, catching it and then kicking it would result in the shot being blocked.

Excessive handpassing and the blanket defence result in a reduction of entertainment value, these things need to be fixed, no point concentrating on stopping stuff which has no negative impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

jmayo wrote: »
    There was a very good basketballer linked to Mayo once upon a time, but Roscommon got him.
    BTW the Mayo players hate him with a vengance.

Aidan O' Shea does not play for Roscommon, get your facts straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Gaa is about community, about your birthplace. I don't give a damn about Tyrone, Mayo, Kerry or Kildare etc.

What a load of tosh.

I hate these type of comments. The GAA just want your money and there's just as much team spirit and craic with soccer, rugby, other sports.

The thing different with GAA is you have auld lads forcing their sons to play because their auld lads played it aswell and the sons feel forced to play it because their auld lad and grand dad played it.

Only in the GAA do you have this ****e "it'a in our blood, the gaa is who we are type rubbish you see in all the tv adverts trying to take your money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Only in the GAA do you have this ****e "it'a in our blood, the gaa is who we are type rubbish you see in all the tv adverts trying to take your money.

I take it you've never seen the Guinness "This is Rugby Country" ads then at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭tritium

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

What a load of tosh.

I hate these type of comments. The GAA just want your money and there's just as much team spirit and craic with soccer, rugby, other sports.

The thing different with GAA is you have auld lads forcing their sons to play because their auld lads played it aswell and the sons feel forced to play it because their auld lad and grand dad played it.

And straight from 1935, we have ……. drum roll, Pussyhands!

You forgot to mention the Christian Brothers and the 'RA forcing lads to play hurling rather than sampling the Olympian delights of the League of Ireland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Jaden wrote: »
    There was a very good basketballer linked to Mayo once upon a time, but Roscommon got him.
    BTW the Mayo players hate him with a vengance.

Aidan O' Shea does not play for Roscommon, get your facts straight.

Ahh FFS.
    Do you have an issue with reading and comprehension ?
    If so there is help you can get.

Notice the "once upon a time" bit ?
    And the fact I said Mayo players hate him ?

Maybe you are only a young lad or maybe one of those Dub fans that doesn't know a lot about the game so I will forgive you and give you a bit of history.
    Way back in 1980s big lad from Ballina who played Basketball to a very high level, along with his brothers, started playing for Mayo.
    Some reckon if he was born in USA he would definitely have been a pro.
    He had chances to go to the States, but never bothered.

BTW he would make Aidan O'Shea's basketballing exploits look like child's play.
    Hell he even got to shoot hoops against Reggie Lewis on a court in Boston once upon a time.

He got sent off in an All Ireland final against Meath in 1996 although he would probably be one of the least dirty players around.
    Oh and the ref that sent him off worked in Meath at the time and has an annoying little brother named after a hen that coincidentally went on to manage Meath.
    Some day we might forget about that down in Mayo. :rolleyes:

And he has been in management with Roscommon until recently with his brother-in-law one Kevin McStay, who proved he aint to shabby a shot thrower himself. ;)

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Ahh FFS.

Maybe you are only a young lad or maybe one of those Dub fans that doesn't know a lot about the game so I will forgive you and give you a bit of history.
    Way back in 1980s big lad from Ballina who played Basketball to a very high level, along with his brothers, started playing for Mayo.

Hell he even got to shoot hoops against Reggie Lewis on a court in Boston once upon a time.

He got sent off in an All Ireland final against Meath in 1996 although he would probably be one of the least dirty players around.
    Oh and the ref that sent him off worked in Meath at the time and has an annoying little brother named after a hen that coincidentally went on to manage Meath.

And he has been in management with Roscommon until recently with his brother-in-law one Kevin McStay, who proved he aint to shabby a shot thrower himself. ;)

Was McStay brother Paul a basketballer too?

>Questions a posters reading and comprehension.
    >Can't comprehend an obvious joke.

Tis gonna be a long winter...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I take it you've never seen the Guinness "This is Rugby Country" ads then at all?

Any other ads you can think of?

AIB ad with the county player growing up.

Centra ad with the "WE ARE HURLING"

Minor championship ad with the young lads having their first shave and chasing women etc.

Guiness ad I can't remember what it's about but it ends with an auld lad staring into the camera...something along the lines of warriors or history anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

"Shortsighted is thinking that Dublin will just be competitive for a few more years and that all those u14s in the likes of Ballyboden or the new clubs popping up in new suburbs will have no long term benefit to the county team.
    BTW AFAIK Ballyboden used to have more u14 than in the entirety of Leitrim"

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]@jmayo Would you like to give us years and numbers so this can be verified? Its akin to one of Trumps soundbites!!!!!!!!![/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

A large north Dublin club's U11 have c. 85 kids registered, with 65+ turning up to matches each week. U11 would usually be the peak year for GAA participation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Any other ads you can think of?

The rugby crowd seem fond of them as well.

• Advertisement

Gael85 wrote: »
    Was McStay brother Paul a basketballer too?

It was Paul I remember playing the Basketball for Killala and Ballina along with the three McHale brothers.
    And it was Paul he was with when he ended up shooting hoops with Regie Lewis by all accounts.
    ArielAtom wrote: »
    "Shortsighted is thinking that Dublin will just be competitive for a few more years and that all those u14s in the likes of Ballyboden or the new clubs popping up in new suburbs will have no long term benefit to the county team.
    BTW AFAIK Ballyboden used to have more u14 than in the entirety of Leitrim"

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]@jmayo Would you like to give us years and numbers so this can be verified? Its akin to one of Trumps soundbites!!!!!!!!![/font]

Would you like their names and addresses as well ?

Now I will have to warn you about GDPR though, but it will be grand if you send us a signature along with copy of your passport for verification purposes.

Oh and do you win a prize for shoehorning that tangoed numpty into a thread about the GAA.

Jaden wrote: »
    >Questions a posters reading and comprehension.
    >Can't comprehend an obvious joke.

Tis gonna be a long winter...

How am I to know you are not some Bernard Flynn type.

How am I to know you are not some Bernard Flynn type.

Ah now, that was just uncalled for...

You Sir, have stepped over the line from mean, to just plain vicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

It was Paul I remember playing the Basketball for Killala and Ballina along with the three McHale brothers.
    And it was Paul he was with when he ended up shooting hoops with Regie Lewis by all accounts.

Would you like their names and addresses as well ?

Now I will have to warn you about GDPR though, but it will be grand if you send us a signature along with copy of your passport for verification purposes.

Oh and do you win a prize for shoehorning that tangoed numpty into a thread about the GAA.

No just the years you are referring g to and the numbers to back it up. You and The DONALD seem to be kindred spirits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭mattser

Ahh FFS.

Mayo blew both matches V Meath in '96. 6 points up in the first. Started a row they couldn't finish in the replay, and had it in the bag until the final moments. Numerous chances since, but conspired to turn victory into defeat time after time.
    A rather cheap shot at the officials, considering the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

D9Male wrote: »
    A large north Dublin club's U11 have c. 85 kids registered, with 65+ turning up to matches each week. U11 would usually be the peak year for GAA participation.

That is disgraceful. These kids should be turned away and made stay at home playing with their X Box.

What sort of deviants want ten year olds to be playing gaelic football and adding to the injustice of the world?

It is not fair I tells ye ...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

mattser wrote: »
    Mayo blew both matches V Meath in '96. 6 points up in the first. Started a row they couldn't finish in the replay, and had it in the bag until the final moments. Numerous chances since, but conspired to turn victory into defeat time after time.
    A rather cheap shot at the officials, considering the above.

A Mayo man blaming someone else for a defeat, surely not :eek:

Advertisement