Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Gaelic Football lost it's appeal?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

blanch152 wrote: »
    Some really fantastic football having been played the last few years.

Mayo put it up to Dublin for some high quality exciting All-Ireland finals.

Yesterday, we saw a great performance by Dublin, especially in the second quarter, when they destroyed Tyrone. One for the ages.

Not losing its appeal at all.

You are a Dublin fan.

The fact that you are disregarding every other county fan looking in from outside Dublin that states that the game is losing it's appeal is an opinion emanating from a biased bar stool.

I don't think it is as bad as people claim but there is Dublin and then there are circa 8 or 9 counties that are relatively competitive amongst themselves (Galway, Tyrone, Kerry, Monaghan, Mayo, Kildare, Donegal, Cavan and Roscommon) whilst the next level down are also upping their game and there are only a handful of teams that are being left behind as inter provincial teams become more professional entities)

But this year's final was the least anticipated and most predictable outcome of finals in decades. That speaks volumes in the "losing it's appeal" regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭shockframe

This years semi finals have had the lowest Semi Final attendance involving Dublin since 1994 and the lowest in general since 2008.

Interest has definitely declined in the sport.

No point comparing to the 1980's for attendance figures as even the hurling championship had terrible attendance figures back then and there wouldn't ahve been the same degree of wealth in the country as there is now so not as much money to be spending on recreation as there is now.

The attendance drop is largely explained by Galway who have always had fairly dreadful support or such a big county.

You put Kerry, Mayo and Tyrone in their place and there would be close to a full house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I wouldn't go to see a county game as a neutral fan

I used to regularly do this

• Registered Users Posts: 27,675 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You are a Dublin fan.

The fact that you are disregarding every other county fan looking in from outside Dublin that states that the game is losing it's appeal is an opinion emanating from a biased bar stool.

I don't think it is as bad as people claim but there is Dublin and then there are circa 8 or 9 counties that are relatively competitive amongst themselves (Galway, Tyrone, Kerry, Monaghan, Mayo, Kildare, Donegal, Cavan and Roscommon) whilst the next level down are also upping their game and there are only a handful of teams that are being left behind as inter provincial teams become more professional entities)

But this year's final was the least anticipated and most predictable outcome of finals in decades. That speaks volumes in the "losing it's appeal" regard.

Least anticipated and most predictable since 1980?

Successful teams cause a certain lack of appeal, but it was much worse back then. Dull low-scoring games, with the use of handpassing even worse.

To beat Kerry in 1982, it took a referee ignoring a blatant push for the winning goal. We nearly saw something similar yesterday, with Cavanagh escaping a deserved black card, and Harte escaping a red, not to mention the incident with Mannion being stretched out off the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭spurshero

Fann Linn wrote: »
    C__MC wrote: »
    It’s gone flat to many athletes now and a lack of skillful ballers. When you hear the players calling for the ball in a final on TV - it’s worrying

Or maybe just good audio equipment.

Was on the Hill myself and couldn't hear a thing. Btw Croke Park, any chance of putting a few loudspeakers in there so we can lisren to Cluxton's speech next year?
    Don’t bother great keeper but one boring person

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭spurshero

It’s lost it’s appeal for all bar Dublin . That’s the reality . The only people on here saying it hasn’t seem to be dubs . Unless Kerry get there stuff together it’s beginning to look like 10 in a row . Having said all that it’s not Dublin’s fault there so good but you are not comparing like with like when your comparing Dublin with leitrem Carlow Longford etc . It’s not a level playing field and Probaly never will
    Be again . Rural Ireland is dying and cities especially Dublin are gettting bigger and busier

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭doc_17

I think the number of games now is having a detrimental effect. If they were exciting then that would be great. But when they are generally boring and uncompetitive as well being very expensive and inconvienent to attend (Donegal v Dublin in CP at 7pm on a Saturday) then it makes it all the more difficult to make a case for football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

An incredibly competitive and open era in hurling coinciding with Dublin's continuing stranglehold on Sam isn't helping the game's appeal. SHC 2018 had countless thrills and spills compared to the relatively mundane and predictable SFC.

Not entirely fair I suppose that the two games are compared the way they are as often as they are, but it can't really be helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Did hurling lose its appeal when Kilkenny were so dominant?

It's up to the rest to get better. People in general love to watch and admire teams or individuals excel. Except Dublin... for reasons of the sour grape variety.

Kilkenny weren't as dominant though as Dublin are- they could have been beaten any year by Tipperary or Galway especially and most of the finals were extremely close and even several replays. Nothing like the boring dominance of Dublin.

This years semi finals have had the lowest Semi Final attendance involving Dublin since 1994 and the lowest in general since 2008.

Interest has definitely declined in the sport.

No point comparing to the 1980's for attendance figures as even the hurling championship had terrible attendance figures back then and there wouldn't ahve been the same degree of wealth in the country as there is now so not as much money to be spending on recreation as there is now.

The 1980 All-Ireland final had the lowest attendance over the last 70 years.

Why was that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

road_high wrote: »
    Kilkenny weren't as dominant though as Dublin are- they could have been beaten any year by Tipperary or Galway especially and most of the finals were extremely close and even several replays. Nothing like the boring dominance of Dublin.

What are you smoking? The margins in the 4 final matches played before Sunday were 3, 1, 0, and 1.

Another deluded amusing post.

Kilkenny won 8 in 10, yet weren't as dominant as Dublin.

Dublin didn't win three All-Irelands by one point, one of them after a reply!!!

So so funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

The problem is that those games are few and far between.

Last years all ireland final was one of the greatest games of all time but there were not too many other quality games in the whole championship season.

The average game has declined in entertainment value the great games (which have always been rare in any sport) are great but the average game has declined massively in entertainment value, I stopped going to watch Offaly a few years ago as I honestly couldn't take anymore of the crap football being played and I suspect I'm not the only one in the country who became fed up with the type of football on show.

The rules of the sport badly need to be changed as this negative era has been allowed to go on for far too long and something needs to be done to stop it.When you here so many former and current players and so many fasn constantly complaining about the sport it's a sign that there is something seriously wrong which needs to be fixed.

We must have watched different championships. Last year Mayo went to extra time against two different teams and went to a replay of the semi final against Kerry before meeting Dublin. I thought it was a fantastic spectacle. This year watching Fermanagh & Kildare was entertaining as there were two underdog teams trying to go the distance. I’m undecided about the Super 8’s, not sure they really worked, although I did enjoy seeing Kerry go crashing out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

The 1980 All-Ireland final had the lowest attendance over the last 70 years.

Why was that?

No idea.

Although the 1980 final in either code did not have the lowest attendances over that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

You could say the same about Mayo running Dublin close in a few finals. KK were just as dominant as Dublin are now.

I really don't get this thing about football losing its appeal as a sport. The statistics show it's higher scoring than ever:
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.balls.ie/amp/gaa/stats-average-score-in-gaelic-football-392746

I think the Sunday Game has a lot to answer for. Sunday after Sunday the three auld lads tell the nation how bad gaelic football is compared to the golden days when they played. People listen to this and take it as gospel and nostalgia does the rest.

If any of you are in any doubt of the relative appeal of football between now and the past I'd suggest look up some of the regarded classics on YouTube.
    The standard is appalling with very poor and undirected kick passing. The games were relatively low scoring as well to make things worse.

Lastly, can hurling fans watch a game of football at all without feeling compelled to tell the world how poor it is comparatively? It's tiresome and it would nearly turn you off the sport.

Patww79 wrote: »
    What are you smoking? The margins in the 4 final matches played before Sunday were 3, 1, 0, and 1.

Dublin never win games by as much as the really could have, they always tend to play a little conservatively and get the job done and not take any risks.

The won yesterdays final by 6 yet based on the run of the whole 70 minutes it felt more like a 12/13 point victory.

The beat Kerry in 2015 and it was a hammering in spite of them only winning by a few points.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Some of Dublin's wins were also very tight and one was even a replay.

However, it does seem that Dublin's production line will keep them dominant for a few years yet, more than Kilkenny were. I hope I am wrong on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

So so funny.

Kilkenny could have been beaten any of those years. Unlike the yawning snoredom that is Dublin. You're probably the only one laughing, the rest of us are bored to tears- only bothered watching it out of tradition, nothing else.

You could say the same about Mayo running Dublin close in a few finals. KK were just as dominant as Dublin are now.

I really don't get this thing about football losing its appeal as a sport. The statistics show it's higher scoring than ever:
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.balls.ie/amp/gaa/stats-average-score-in-gaelic-football-392746

I think the Sunday Game has a lot to answer for. Sunday after Sunday the three auld lads tell the nation how bad gaelic football is compared to the golden days when they played. People listen to this and take it as gospel and nostalgia does the rest.

If any of you are in any doubt of the relative appeal of football between now and the past I'd suggest look up some of the regarded classics on YouTube.
    The standard is appalling with very poor and undirected kick passing. The games were relatively low scoring as well to make things worse.

Lastly, can hurling fans watch a game of football at all without feeling compelled to tell the world how poor it is comparatively? It's tiresome and it would nearly turn you off the sport.

The scoring is higher because the players are far more skillful than they used to be.

The problem with the sport are as follows:
    People don't want blanket defences.
    They don't want endless handpassing.
    They don't want negative styles of play.
    People want more of a contest for the ball all around the field.
    People want more open attacking football to be played.

Football is my favourite sport yet I don't go to watch my own county play because of the ****e style of play and I've watched less football this year than I ever have before.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Kilkenny could have been beaten any of those years. Unlike the yawning snoredom that is Dublin. You're probably the only one laughing, the rest of us are bored to tears- only bothered watching it out of tradition, nothing else.

A late free won the game last year. Donal Vaughan stupidly got himself sent off for reacting to John small otherwise it could have been a very different outcome. If Dublin went down a man it’s entirely likely Mayo could have won. I highly doubt Dublin are leaving points out there for the craic to see how low a margin they can win by.

• Advertisement

Dublin never win games by as much as the really could have, they always tend to play a little conservatively and get the job done and not take any risks.

The won yesterdays final by 6 yet based on the run of the whole 70 minutes it felt more like a 12/13 point victory.

The beat Kerry in 2015 and it was a hammering in spite of them only winning by a few points.

So all Dublin's wins were hammerings even though they weren't and Kilkenny weren't dominant because they could have been beaten but weren't.

I haven't seen spin that impressive since Ronnie O'Sullivan was at his peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭C__MC

The Kilkenny Dublin comparison is interesting. Kk won 6 between 06 and 12. They only won 3 leagues in that time. Lost a provincial final as well and a few league finals. They where a seroius team but it wasn’t always plain sailing. Teams went toe to toe with them.

From 2011- 18- Dublin have won 6 and every Leinster at a canter. They have won 5 leagues and lost two.

There was more teams to challenge kk in comparison to dublin who only have had mayo to be honest. Tipp, Galway and Dublin all took out kk.

But 3 years ago this weekend , Kilkenny won their 11th under Cody. It was business as usual. Hurling as a game looked in big trouble and it’s appeal was waining.

Kilkenny lost a golden generation all at once and have paid for it. There was no replacements to that calibre. Dublin won’t to that, you can Already see the next Dublin superstars coming through. Like you had no Andrews, Connolly, Flynn , o gara or fitzminions starting this year. Scary!

Bar complacency , the 5 in a row is theirs.

So all Dublin's wins were hammerings even though they weren't and Kilkenny weren't dominant because they could have been beaten but weren't.

Okay.

It's really pointless debating with you because you just get overly defensive about anything to do with Dublin which is odd considering you're from Wicklow.

The Mayo finals were really tight games just like the 2006 and 2009 finals were for Kilkenny.

Yesterdays match and the 2015 final were not that close the scoreboard really flattered both losing teams.

It's really pointless debating with you because you just get overly defensive about anything to do with Dublin which is odd considering you're from Wicklow.

The Mayo finals were really tight games just like the 2006 and 2009 finals were for Kilkenny.

Yesterdays match and the 2015 final were not that close the scoreboard really flattered both losing teams.

Are you seriously saying that like of tripe I was replying to is anything but?

Also, isn't it good there's a small bit of balance once all you blouses start crying after every Dublin win?

Are you seriously saying that like of tripe I was replying to is anything but?

Also, isn't it good there's a small bit of balance once all you blouses start crying after every Dublin win?

I don't think most people on this thread are crying over Dublin winning.

Most people on this thread have either pointed out that dominance is not good for entertainment in a sport (which is true) and some people have pointed out that styles of play are not helping football (which is also true), there is really no whining about Dublin that I can see on this thread.

I don't think most people on this thread are crying over Dublin winning.

Most people on this thread have either pointed out that dominance is not good for entertainment in a sport (which is true) and some people have pointed out that styles of play are not helping football (which is also true), there is really no whining about Dublin that I can see on this thread.

Wrap it up in whatever you want but that's what it all is. Every single time like clockwork.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Need to scrap the provincials and the super 8s. The provincials can be done as the preseason tournaments in place of the cups.

A league format of maybe 4 groups of 8 or 8
    Of 4 (sorry New York) so every county is guaranteed minimum 3 or 7 games. Id have them as an open unseeded, but you can have arguments for a seeded draw too, and every gets 1 home, 1 away and 1 day in PuC, Semple, or Croker etc.

A straight up knock out can ensue then.

Discourage handpasing for the sake of it, no backwards passing maybe when beyond your own 45. 2 points for kicks from over 45 maybe. Make the square area bigger around the goal to encourage point scoring.

Fitness is rewarded over skill now at the most basic level and it's a drag to watch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Wrap it up in whatever you want but that's what it all is. Every single time like clockwork.

No, football has been mostly awful for the last 15 years with the occasional good year in between starting with the dull Tyrone/Armagh grind years.

The Dublin mayo finals, and the Dublin mayo semi in 2015? were great entertainment, but that's because they had teams that had a marriage of skills and fitness.

Mayo left the last 2 AIs behind and would've been worthy winners. Kerry absolutely blew it in 2015. Had Dublin lost any of these last 3, it would still be the same. Football is just mostly dull now, with the exception of a few great games.

That said, it has been an exceptional year for hurling which makes it look worse entertainment wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

So so funny.
    Dublin haven't lost in 25 games in the Leinster championship
    When have they ever done that before?

Not even Kilkenny did that in hurling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

Never had appeal, pure ****e.

Advertisement