Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you rent/purchase a House/Apt No. 13?

Options
  • 03-09-2018 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

My brother and I are currently looking at purchasing an investment property (the aim is to use it as a source of income/accommodation for my daughter and his son when they start college education in approximately six years time).

One of the properties we are interested in has number 13 on the front door. We aren't remotely superstitious so it doesn't bother us. However, I'm wondering if it would concern other people??

Would you have any concerns about renting or purchasing a number 13 property?

Would you rent or purchase a House/Apt No. 13? 85 votes

Yes, I'd be happy to rent/purchase a No. 13 property
    0% 0 votes
    No, 13 is unlucky for some so I'd stay clear of it!
    100% 85 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

None at all, suprised if you had any less interest in renting it either given the market at the moment.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Would only concern eejits! I've rented and owned two #13s and lived to tell the tale. Our current #13 has brought us lots of luck in the form of two babies and a good profit on the house as we are now sale agreed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I had it for 6 years and nuffink append........honestly guv..

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

I couldn't care less what number is on the door.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I've lived in two developments since 1993- neither of which had a no. 13. The builders simply skipped over no. 13. Apparently it was very common practice in the 1990s not to have a no. 13. Personally- I really couldn't give a hoot what the number is- its only a number. Life is too short for irrational superstitions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Any number is better than no number

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭TheFortField

I've lived in two developments since 1993- neither of which had a no. 13. The builders simply skipped over no. 13. Apparently it was very common practice in the 1990s not to have a no. 13. Personally- I really couldn't give a hoot what the number is- its only a number. Life is too short for irrational superstitions.
    You're correct. In my hometown, there are a few housing estates that have house 12A instead of 13.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

While I'd have no problem with number 13, it might not attract the most buyers. Women, in my opinion are more superstitious.

While I'd have no problem with number 13, it might not attract the most buyers. Women, in my opinion are more superstitious.
    Would you believe I was prompted to start this thread because a male work colleague of my brother's mentioned that the motor industry lobbied for the introduction of 131 & 132 registration plates so as to avoid the number 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Gadfly Girl

I've lived in two developments since 1993- neither of which had a no. 13. The builders simply skipped over no. 13. Apparently it was very common practice in the 1990s not to have a no. 13.

Absolutely correct however it the 2010's now and most people are just grateful to have access to a home at all. If it's Dublin based they could build a whole development called Thirteen and number the high density boxes 13A, 13B, 13C etc. and they would still sell like bread during the snow a few months ago.

And yes I'm bitter at the housing situation in this country :)

So in answer to your question OP I think you're safe enough, all things considered though there may be a very slight yet overall insignificant difference in marketability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Id drive the car 13-D-13 to the 13th parking bay , use the door code 1313 to get to the lift to apartment 13 on the 13th in floor in Dublin 13 without issue, and I genuinely see anybody who believes in that craic as mentally inferior.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yes. Bought an apartment in March 2006 and sold it in September 2006 for €100k more. Apartment was No. 13. I hold no grudge with that number!

Many thanks to everyone who took the time to vote/contribute to this thread. Your feedback has been very helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭jc11

Currently sale agreed on a number 13!

jc11 wrote: »
    Currently sale agreed on a number 13!
    Wishing you the very best of luck with it JC11!

*Fingers crossed - I hope to be joining the No. 13 club very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Homes at number 13 are typically €4,335 cheaper than average Irish property.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/buying-house-number-13-lucky-for-some-1.3253833?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If i could afford it, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, stick 12A on the door and flip it on to some DAF who was now willing to pay a lot more for the better number.

They're out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

Would you buy apartment number 666? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Id drive the car 13-D-13 to the 13th parking bay , use the door code 1313 to get to the lift to apartment 13 on the 13th in floor in Dublin 13 without issue, and I genuinely see anybody who believes in that craic as mentally inferior.

It is bad luck to be superstitious!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Baralis1 wrote: »
    Would you buy apartment number 666? :D

As if a builder would be able to build that many apartments in Dublin in one block :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

The amount of people who won't walk under a ladder. Men ok. women, never.

Advertisement