Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ras na mBan - 2018 edition - 5th to 9th September

Options
  • 03-09-2018 9:35pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,416 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

The Ras na mBan returns to Kilkenny starting on Wednesday 5 September, with six stages culminating on Sunday 9 September

This year they hopefully have a full complement of riders - 25 teams have entered and if 5 turn up for each team it will be a record 125 entries

Valerie and team have done an incredible job this year just getting the race on following the withdrawal of the prior title sponsor An Post

Race Website

I'm planning on heading over on Saturday for the crit around Kilkenny, and will see if I can also get to the morning's TT. Friday sees the daunting prospect of another finish atop Mount Leinster where returning Rikke Lønne delivered a spectacular victory in somewhat "testing" conditions two years ago

If you get a chance please try and get out to cheer the women on in what promises to be another great event - the premier women's racing event in Ireland, which always draws a top class field

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

My girlfriend is racing on the Verge team, it may not be as fast as the mens, but it's very exciting!

Any chance TG4 will have highlights? I noticed they had a decent highlights package of the Junior tour a while ago as I randomly flicked over on a Saturday afternoon.

EDIT: Well done whoever did the web site the landing when you click the link looks fantastic.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,416 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Any chance TG4 will have highlights? I noticed they had a decent highlights package of the Junior tour a while ago as I randomly flicked over on a Saturday afternoon.

EDIT: Well done whoever did the web site the landing when you click the link looks fantastic.

Declan Quigley is on the organising committee and has overseen the highlights package that has aired on Eurosport in recent years

You will also see on the TV section of the website that highlights have been available on the RTE player for 2017. Hopefully there will be something similar again this year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Is the start list published yet?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,416 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

daragh_ wrote: »
    Is the start list published yet?

Start list only came out the day before the first stage last year, so we may see something later in the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

I followed this around last year. It's a superb race. Course selections, organisation, everything, is top notch. I'm out of the country this year so will miss it, but will keep tabs via social media, etc.

The crit stage around Kilkenny city, in particular, was a very enjoyable stage to watch. I'd certainly recommend taking that in.

And who can forget the summit finish up Mount Leinster, on the absolute poxiest of days ever. Was great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

the classification jerseys look great:
    http://www.rasnamban.com/about/jerseys/

Wow they do look nice.

No full starter lists up yet, but some of the main Irish contenders are mentioned here with details of some pf the overseas riders in this article

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

https://www.rte.ie/sport/cycling/2018/0904/991611-eve-mccrystal-leads-irish-challenge-in-ras-na-mban/
    National Road Race Champion Eve McCrystal heads a strong Irish challenge in Rás na mBan which gets under way in Kilkenny on Wednesday.

Always good to see coverage from the national broadcaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Eurosport round up is going to be a full hour long this year and will be broadcast internationally.
    Crit is a crackin event on saturday to go spectate, and the TT is on that morning - its a hilly route, so another good one to go and watch.
    Break out the silly costume and get yourself on the telly! :)

fat bloke wrote: »
    Break out the silly costume and get yourself on the telly! :)

Looks like you may be quite easy to spot in the crowds on Saturday fatbloke. In fact I've already been provided with a preview from someone who is very close to the event

fat_cyclist.jpg

Honestly that's just not fair. I ditched those horn-rimmed glasses months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

What kind of level are the riders at, similar standard to the mens Ras?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

there were olympic champions in it last year. You don't get that in the men's Ras, so I'd say the standard is better.

Well, huge female equivalent, absolutely. If you watch the women's pro races, they're packed with previous Rna mBan winners and participants.

they are really upping the pace, Mccrystal is off the back with 50km to go.... exciting stuff.

they are really upping the pace, Mccrystal is off the back with 50km to go.... exciting stuff.

Crash about 15 minutes ago

https://twitter.com/RasnamBan/status/1037375232208723969

Looks like there's already been a lot of action with that crash, breakaways, the peloton being decimated

There is a start list posted up on that Twitter feed - 119 starters:

DmWM1liXgAAJU5E.jpg

Nina Kessler of Team NH takes the stage in a bunch sprint

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Much higher than the mens. An Olympic champion won it last year and there are far more World Tour graduates from it than the mens too.
    It's tough as fcuk!

Really the level would be the female equivalent, some of the best up and coming riders on the continent, Tony Martin won the An Post Ras, many of the past winners went on to great results.

Really the level would be the female equivalent, some of the best up and coming riders on the continent, Tony Martin won the An Post Ras, many of the past winners went on to great results.

No current Olympic champions ride the mens Ras ;) It's a step up really.
    Women's racing is quite fluid at the highest level.
    Amelie Diedriksen became a World Champion a year (maybe two, my memory isn't the best) I think after her Ras stage win.

Best Irish rider is Agnieszka Wozniak.

Are the full results out yet?

nee wrote: »
    Are the full results out yet?

I haven't found them...

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Irish Raven

Looking at the results...its Strange that they put an Irish team selection in, took any of the girls on its chances away from the green jersey domestic rider comp...considering 3 of them race domestically every week!!

They prob should of filled the team with non domestic Irish riders, and entered a strong domestic team under a sponsor name or one of the riders clubs, like Garda cc, or Ballymena!!

• Advertisement

Nice to see Andy Schleck back on the podium!

:)

Advertisement