Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom allocating 052 in 0504 area

Options
  • 03-09-2018 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭

Few numbers in Thurles town PSTN lines with 052 numbers. 0504 is the Thurles/Templemore area code. I know there's a shortage of numbers in Thurles the past few years so maybe thats why?

0504-2xxxx Thurles
    0504-3xxxx Templemore but now allocated to Thurles residents
    0504-4xxxx Littleton/Holycross again in use in Thurles
    0504-5xxxx Borrisoleigh, Bouladuff but used in Thurles
    0504-6xxxx Thurles
    0504-9xxxx Thurles

I assume comreg won't allow use of 1,7,8 and adding two numbers would make it the longest in Ireland so this is why 052 is being used instead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This has been possible since 1999 or thereabouts. With old kit your number routed in hardware. Post digitization any number can go anywhere, just like an IP address can be moved from Antwerp to Athlone. Lots of 01 numbers arent in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Geographic area codes aren't really needed any more as many operators no longer differentiate between local and national calls.

The general trend is to get rid of long area codes and move to 7-digit phone numbers - there are only 0402, 0404, 0504, 0504 left.

That gives us capacity for something like 400 million phone numbers, when 5 million people probably need no more than 20 million phone numbers. We could see further simplification.

Current map https://www.comreg.ie/industry/licensing/numbering/area-code-maps-2/

Back in the 1980s, I'm sure there were some 5-digit ones (with 4-digit phone numbers).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Few numbers in Thurles town PSTN lines with 052 numbers. 0504 is the Thurles/Templemore area code. I know there's a shortage of numbers in Thurles the past few years so maybe thats why?

0504-2xxxx Thurles
    0504-3xxxx Templemore but now allocated to Thurles residents
    0504-4xxxx Littleton/Holycross again in use in Thurles
    0504-5xxxx Borrisoleigh, Bouladuff but used in Thurles
    0504-6xxxx Thurles
    0504-9xxxx Thurles

I assume comreg won't allow use of 1,7,8 and adding two numbers would make it the longest in Ireland so this is why 052 is being used instead?

As Victor mentioned geographic codes aren't really needed these days.

The company I work for uses a single area code (0228) even though we have offices across Germany. The advantage is that if I get a call from a number beginning with +49 228 I know it is more than likely work related.

The disadvantage is that I don't know from what part of Germany it's coming from unless I recognise the number or have it saved as a known contact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

We're badly missing a non-geographical landline code that doesn't charge at some weird rate. A lot of people no longer necessarily need or want a number tied to one particular area / exchange.

0818 was supposed to do that but it doesn't quite work as mobile and landline operators charge a fortune to call it.

Landlines are going to go the way of fax machines and payphones. I'd argue in favour of allocating new landlines with a code like 033 and allowing people to migrate their landline services to non-geographic codes, perhaps giving them an incentive to do so.

I mean, most businesses hardly want to have a number tied to one geographical region anymore and most households don't seem to be too bothered with landline anymore.

You'd have to ban landline and mobile operators from charging this as 'out of bundle' non-geographic though. It would simply have to be something like 033 charged as a geographical, landline number regardless of what network you're calling from, so no more ripoffs with 1850 and 0818 and a genuinely useful numbering system that could ultimately allow total flexibility for people with fixed lines.

You'd end ups with something like :

+353 33 999 9999

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

You'd have to ban landline and mobile operators from charging this as 'out of bundle' non-geographic though.

They failed to do that when the 076 (VOIP) numbers were allocated which effectively killed off their use. They could have been the most useful number for all consumers ....... free calls between numbers carried over the broadband network.

I would be surprised if they got it right in the future!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I think Comreg are currently looking at non-geographic numbers including 076.

https://www.comreg.ie/publication/review-non-geographic-numbers/

It just seems like preserving a gargantuan bureaucracy that harks back to the days of crossbar exchanges, instead of just going with where the tech is going and letting the legacy stuff fizzle out

076 was also very confusing as everyone thought you were calling from Donegal. We got rid of one of those numbers for work because of that.

If you forgot about the confusing attempts like 076, 0818, 1850, 1890 and just rolled out a new 033 code that was clear and simple to understand and then allowed all the other stuff to fizzle out over time, there'd be no great cost, disruption or messing.

I think Comreg are currently looking at non-geographic numbers including 076.

https://www.comreg.ie/publication/review-non-geographic-numbers/

yeah, and the last I read they intend to make things worse than they are or were with 076 numbers.

EdgeCase wrote: »
    It just seems like preserving a gargantuan bureaucracy that harks back to the days of crossbar exchanges, instead of just going with where the tech is going and letting the legacy stuff fizzle out

076 was also very confusing as everyone thought you were calling from Donegal. We got rid of one of those numbers for work because of that.

If you forgot about the confusing attempts like 076, 0818, 1850, 1890 and just rolled out a new 033 code that was clear and simple to understand and then allowed all the other stuff to fizzle out over time, there'd be no great cost, disruption or messing.

I could not care less whether they used 076 or some other numbers, but the facility that was put in place for free VOIP calling using numbers was huge, while at the same time the numbers could be used to receive a call from a non-076 number. A minimum charge to route the incoming calls was all that was needed.
    I expect they got a lot of complaints from those who have been raping us with call charges for many decades and would like to continue to do so.

I very much doubt the commercial interests will allow anything like that to raise its head again. :(

Whole thing is totally stupid. They’re just allowing the legacy operators to squeeze the last drops of profit out of 40 year old infrastructure, most of which was paid for by the state anyway ...

In the meanstime, lack of a simple way of addressing VoIP is just handing Facebook (WhatsApp) and Apple etc a huge % or traffic that could go over open networks.

• Advertisement

Would it not be nice to have a 'mobile' phone for making and receiving calls that would default to using a Wifi connection when available, and use a mobile data connection if not.
    This phone would have your 'voip' number, which would allow you to call other 'voip' numbers without cost ..... and that means no monthly 'allowance' of various types of calls and the associated costs.
    So the number of calls being made over the mobile phone masts would reduce drastically.

Because it is 'voip' it could be arranged to first try the mobile, then any other 'voip' number until answered or it hits a recording.

So no need for mobile 'plans', or time-sensitive calling or any other of that malarkey that is going on with certain numbers being outside normal plans.

A lot of this can be done today .... using a variety of 'apps' which don't like to talk to each other, which is ridiculous from the consumers point of view.

For a lot of people the equivalent (in function) of a desk phone is all that is needed when mobile. But the facilities would need to be provided ... such as the 076 numbering system.

For those who want a computer and camera and radio etc. in a phone body the present system and phones would fill their need.

That’s already almost the case with WiFi calling, other than you’re using a plan but for most of us they’re virtually unlimited anyway.

On my Eir mobile, when I’m in the house it jumps over to WiFi calling when I’m out and about it’s using mobile. The whole things being achieved because Eir use an IMS platform that is basically a VoIP softswitch.

Without opening it up to SIP based VoIP, they’re already losing traffic handover fist to closed, proprietary over the top VoIP run by Facebook (WhatsApp), Apple (Facetime), Skype, telegram and others and they all use your mobile number as the address / unique ID.

By not opening up to genuine VoIP they're driving more and more into the hands of big IT companies and social media operators.

It's already the case that mobile companies are primarily just selling data. That's been accepted by most of them and they're making good money out of it.

I think it's long pasy due that they accept that circuit switched telephony isn't a viable model of business anymore.

but for most of us they’re virtually unlimited anyway.

Not really ...... and at the same time you are locked into one provider.

They're only an address though. You can equally use any unique identifier; an email address for example. I don't really see phone numbers remaining as the primary way of setting up voice communications. They're as user friendly as dialing raw IP addresses.

They're only an address though. You can equally use any unique identifier; an email address for example. I don't really see phone numbers remaining as the primary way of setting up voice communications. They're as user friendly as dialing raw IP addresses.

It is not possible to 'dial' a new 'email address type' of a VOIP contact from the majority of desk/house phones.
    While known ones can be kept in a contact list, new ones are a problem.

I am not fixated on numbers either, and would much prefer to dial
    edgecase@sip.boards.com
    or such, but it just is not possible presently.
    So the allocation of a number to that address is the obvious solution until all the deskphones/home phones/DECT phones are replaced by something that can.

It's possible on every smartphone, which are already the majority of phones.
    90% of the Irish population had a smartphone in 2017. A simple phone with only a 2G GSM connection and a dial pad would be quite rare.

As at Q4 1.473 million fixed voice subscriptions (all technologies) (1.07m on the 'classic' PSTN) in Ireland and 4.889 million mobile phone subscriptions (excluding accounts used for machine-to-machine or mobile broadband only)

The way things are headed, the majority of voice traffic will probably end up going via proprietary VoIP apps anyway. I think the mobile and fixed line networks are being morons by not opening the standards and using generic VoIP as they're just making their products less flexible and the customers will be gone regardless.

Trying to lock people into PSTN services isn't a viable business proposition even in the short to medium term, never mind long term. It's dying fast.

My view of it is open up a sensible prefix for VoIP that doesn't get billed ridiculously or cause confusion with the Northwest and optionally also start allocating all new fixed line numbers on a similar non-geographic prefix.

There's no point in continuing to flog a dead horse.

It's possible on every smartphone, which are already the majority of phones.
    90% of the Irish population had a smartphone in 2017. A simple phone with only a 2G GSM connection and a dial pad would be quite rare.

It matters not how many mobile phones are in use or sold.
    The system cannot abandon the many homes with phones and particularly the many businesses with multiples of phones in offices throughout the country.
    As at Q4 1.473 million fixed voice subscriptions (all technologies) (1.07m on the 'classic' PSTN) in Ireland and 4.889 million mobile phone subscriptions (excluding accounts used for machine-to-machine or mobile broadband only)

The way things are headed, the majority of voice traffic will probably end up going via proprietary VoIP apps anyway. I think the mobile and fixed line networks are being morons by not opening the standards and using generic VoIP as they're just making their products less flexible and the customers will be gone regardless.

Trying to lock people into PSTN services isn't a viable business proposition even in the short to medium term, never mind long term. It's dying fast.

My view of it is open up a sensible prefix for VoIP that doesn't get billed ridiculously or cause confusion with the Northwest and optionally also start allocating all new fixed line numbers on a similar non-geographic prefix.

There's no point in continuing to flog a dead horse.

It appeared that things were being done right, from the beginning, with the 076 SIP VOIP numbering (OK maybe the prefix confused some, but only those who at the time were not aware of VOIP).
    Disposing of all prefixes for ordinary connections would be one way to go, and maybe some special numbering for those 'extra' services provided via voice connection.
    All connections should have access to a 'number', regardless how the voice data is transmitted .... through walled garden providers; legacy services or personal free SIP account.
    In other words I should be able to get a number for my own use and marry that to any service I wish ..... regardless provider.

In short I do not see the demise of the 'number' regardless what that actually connects to.
    I completely agree the numbering system and connections to each one should be open and available to all from some central database.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Would it not be nice to have a 'mobile' phone for making and receiving calls that would default to using a Wifi connection when available, and use a mobile data connection if not.
    This phone would have your 'voip' number, which would allow you to call other 'voip' numbers without cost ..... and that means no monthly 'allowance' of various types of calls and the associated costs.
    So the number of calls being made over the mobile phone masts would reduce drastically.

When Voip number A makes a call to Voip number B, how does A know where to send the voip call?

When Voip number A makes a call to Voip number B, how does A know where to send the voip call?

The same way you know what phone number to call if you wanted to call anyone on a mobile phone.

The same way you know what phone number to call if you wanted to call anyone on a mobile phone.

Its not a phone network though. Voip is a application running over a IP network.

In order for it to work, somebody has to deploy, run and maintain infrastructure in order for phone A to connect to phone B. That comes with a cost. Phone A can't connect directly to phone B, as it doesn't know where phone B and would not be allowed to just connect to it even if it did.

In order for it to work well, the bandwidth on that network has to be guaranteed since Voip traffic is treated the same as all other internet traffic.

For that to happen, private networks have to be created between each device and each piece of infrastructure. A new protocol and frequency would have to be created on each phone, allowing better connectivity to the masts, then what 4g could provide.

Then when other companies, services or regions want to connect to it, they would need to have private interconnects and those interconnects would have to deployed, run and maintained.

They would need support and maintenance agreements, security frameworks, to avoid issues abuse etc.

And at the end of you, you know what you have. A modern telecoms system that looks very much like the current one.

• Advertisement

Its not a phone network though. Voip is a application running over a IP network.

In order for it to work, somebody has to deploy, run and maintain infrastructure in order for phone A to connect to phone B. That comes with a cost. Phone A can't connect directly to phone B, as it doesn't know where phone B and would not be allowed to just connect to it even if it did.

In order for it to work well, the bandwidth on that network has to be guaranteed since Voip traffic is treated the same as all other internet traffic.

For that to happen, private networks have to be created between each device and each piece of infrastructure. A new protocol and frequency would have to be created on each phone, allowing better connectivity to the masts, then what 4g could provide.

Then when other companies, services or regions want to connect to it, they would need to have private interconnects and those interconnects would have to deployed, run and maintained.

They would need support and maintenance agreements, security frameworks, to avoid issues abuse etc.

And at the end of you, you know what you have. A modern telecoms system that looks very much like the current one.

the sip domain that receives the contact, just passes that on to the 'user' specified in the URI so does not handle any of the call data.
    the phone rings at the called end and is either picked up or not as the case may be. All traffic is one to one.

There is also a 'presence' capability so you can know beforehand if the called phone is connected.

So the huge difficulties you 'see' do not exist as far as I can determine.

EDIT:
    Forgot to mention that yes it is possible to connect one phone to another without an intermediary if so desired - and set up to do so on both ends.

the sip domain that receives the contact, just passes that on to the 'user' specified in the URI so does not handle any of the call data.
    the phone rings at the called end and is either picked up or not as the case may be. All traffic is one to one.

The SIP URI has to resolve to a IP. With a phone, that IP changes constantly and is behind NAT because data networks are complex and un-trusted. So in order for the dialling to work, the phone has to maintain a constant connection to its SIP registration server. With a couple of hundred thousand devices registering, gets real expensive, real fast.
    There is also a 'presence' capability so you can know beforehand if the called phone is connected.

Presence is again, a response from a server.
    So the huge difficulties you 'see' do not exist as far as I can determine.

Because you don't really understand how Voip calls work or how modern IP networks work.
    EDIT:
    Forgot to mention that yes it is possible to connect one phone to another without an intermediary if so desired - and set up to do so on both ends.

To be very clear on this, you cannot create a connection to a remote device running on 4G, that you do not know the IP of and that hasn't prepared for a incoming connection. And that hasn't given you details of how to get into it through its connectivity.

And that call is prone to bad quality which is unsupportable.

This is what I don't get:

At present in the PSTN a large % (trending towards all calls) are routed intelligently. The phone number is analysed by the fixed line or mobile switching system and the destination is determined based on a database lookup. That's how the network knows that your number is with a particular provider or has been ported or even that call forwarding is active. It's more like the way a URL is translated into an IP address by a DNS server.

This wasn't the case before number porting was possible and the network used to route just based on the structure of the phone number, much as it had done in the days before digital switching. Any intelligent network functions were limited to tertiary level services like 1800 and 1850 and so on. Fixed line number porting and more complex routing with multiple operators changed a that.

If you call an 076 number on a VoIP phone, it's not a complete SIP address, so the softswitch still has to look it up, figure out where it's hosted and then route over the internet.

Surely the most logical thing would be to make access to the routing database as open and cheap as possible?

That way if I call 01 xxx xxxx or 076 XXX xxxx or 056 XXX xxxx my VoIP phone service will be able to see immediately that that's actually @sip.provider.ie or that is still a PSTN number or that needs to go through a traditional non IP route and gateway or that it's a PSTN number that can be connected to through a SIP trunk route etc etc

Just having a special prefix doesn't strike me as enough. We need an open, DNS like routing database. Once you've got that in place properly it would mean you can route voice traffic anyway you like using VoIP and IP over the internet, across private networks using SIP or across the traditional PSTN.

The SIP URI has to resolve to a IP. With a phone, that IP changes constantly and is behind NAT because data networks are complex and un-trusted. So in order for the dialling to work, the phone has to maintain a constant connection to its SIP registration server. With a couple of hundred thousand devices registering, gets real expensive, real fast.

Presence is again, a response from a server.

Because you don't really understand how Voip calls work or how modern IP networks work.

To be very clear on this, you cannot create a connection to a remote device running on 4G, that you do not know the IP of and that hasn't prepared for a incoming connection. And that hasn't given you details of how to get into it through its connectivity.

And that call is prone to bad quality which is unsupportable.

Ah, so you are specifically addressing the difficulties of doing VOIP calling on the likes of 4G/3G/whatever.

You are indeed correct in that I know little or nothing about how such mobile systems are set up or operate behind the scenes.

As far as I am aware, once a VOIP capable phone can connect to the internet then VOIP calling is relatively light on VOIP servers who only have to create the connection, and not deal with the data. The data is between the two connected phones.

4G phones can make such calls presently using various applications.
    I understand they can also receive calls addressed to their (through the app) registered VOIP account .... carried on their internet connection.

I am unsure what specific difficulties you perceive with integrating this more deeply into the phone.

This is what I don't get:

At present in the PSTN a large % (trending towards all calls) are routed intelligently. The phone number is analysed by the fixed line or mobile switching system and the destination is determined based on a database lookup. That's how the network knows that your number is with a particular provider or has been ported or even that call forwarding is active. It's more like the way a URL is translated into an IP address by a DNS server.

This wasn't the case before number porting was possible and the network used to route just based on the structure of the phone number, much as it had done in the days before digital switching. Any intelligent network functions were limited to tertiary level services like 1800 and 1850 and so on. Fixed line number porting and more complex routing with multiple operators changed a that.

If you call an 076 number on a VoIP phone, it's not a complete SIP address, so the softswitch still has to look it up, figure out where it's hosted and then route over the internet.

Surely the most logical thing would be to make access to the routing database as open and cheap as possible?

That way if I call 01 xxx xxxx or 076 XXX xxxx or 056 XXX xxxx my VoIP phone service will be able to see immediately that that's actually @sip.provider.ie or that is still a PSTN number or that needs to go through a traditional non IP route and gateway or that it's a PSTN number that can be connected to through a SIP trunk route etc etc

Just having a special prefix doesn't strike me as enough. We need an open, DNS like routing database. Once you've got that in place properly it would mean you can route voice traffic anyway you like using VoIP and IP over the internet, across private networks using SIP or across the traditional PSTN.

I'm not sure if I quite understand what it is you are asking.

Anybody can create a SIP URI. The domain can point back to a IP address specific to that URI using a DNS SRV. Not only that but the address could both be the SIP address and E164 address, 01xxxxxxx@example.com. Clients could parse the address and try both options, assuming they have connectivity to both.

There is also the DNS mapping of E164 numbers, using .164.arpa. I don't see the incentive from carriers to do that for a number of reasons and it hasn't really caught on.

Closed systems like Lync basically do this though, if I ring a internal E164 number that's Lync registered its routed via SIP to the client. Never touches legacy phone systems.

Apple does a similar system in reverse, where your apple ID is registered to the phone number. When dialling or texting another recognised PSTN number, the device instead uses the data connection and apples services to make the call/text. That's doable because its a closed system in a limited environment.

When you have a open system in a open environment, you gets tons of opportunity for malicious behaviour. So most Voip systems are closed off from the internet and use processes like federation to minimise impact.

That's the problem with data networks and modern devices. They can do far more then just make a voip call, which makes them far more prone to be used for unintended purposes. So everything built with data networks in mind, is built to be closed off by default.

With a legacy phone network, the only traffic that passes is phone traffic. That traffic is strictly limited in what it can or can't do and as such, can be treated in a different manner. Part of that limitation is in the numbering schemes.

If you talking about just opening up the global E164 numbering system, so that anybody could take any number, then what stops me taking yours?

DNS and E164 are not very different in concept. They both point back to a underlying device and transport system which handles the call. You have to register them both with a authority who keeps control of it for you and stops others from stealing it from you. The systems in general are a mix of trust and limitations.
    Ah, so you are specifically addressing the difficulties of doing VOIP calling on the likes of 4G/3G/whatever.

You are indeed correct in that I know little or nothing about how such mobile systems are set up or operate behind the scenes.

As far as I am aware, once a VOIP capable phone can connect to the internet then VOIP calling is relatively light on VOIP servers who only have to create the connection, and not deal with the data. The data is between the two connected phones.

4G phones can make such calls presently using various applications.
    I understand they can also receive calls addressed to their (through the app) registered VOIP account .... carried on their internet connection.

I am unsure what specific difficulties you perceive with integrating this more deeply into the phone.

Voip calling is light on resources. SIP or similar technologies require registration, which gets costly as it scales to the size of a modern PSTN telephone system. Somebody has to pay for that. Even if you moved to a VOIP only system, your going to get charged one way or another. It being either added to the data charges or charged as a separate service, or selling your data off to other companies. What'sapp may be free to you, but they have to make money in some way.

The fundamental difference between Voip and PSTN* is this,
    In the internet, your traffic is not supported past best effort, its path is not defined and it is not guaranteed to arrive.
    In a PSTN network, your traffic is supported, its path is defined and it is meant to be guaranteed to arrive.

If your network calls are badly messed up, especially from a landline, you can ring up and get support. And that is very unlikey to happen in the first place.
    If your whatsapp or skype calls are badly messed up, tough ****. And its going to happen.

Part of the reason why voice services have not just wiped out the PSTN industry is that they are based on a network that is fundamentally flawed.

What I'm saying is that an 076 number is not a SIP URI anymore than 01 or 021 is. It's just a non geographic code allocated for VoIP use.

076 999 9999 tells me nothing other than it might be a VoIP number and gives no information about the associated URI unless you've access to a database to look it up.

If you wanted to open the routing of calls to be totally technology neutral, you'd need to open the databases behind routing calls generally to users that aren't just telcos. A lot of the numbers at present wouldn't be reachable as a URI but that could potentially change as the PSTN and mobile networks become VoIP based.

Obviously you'd get better quality and reliability over dedicated routing and properly managed hardware and we will have to pay for that but it doesn't mean it can't be fully open and that people can have the choice of whatever QoS they're willing to pay for.

The alternative is we all get locked into new proprietary networks like facetime, Skype and WhatsApp.

What I'm saying is that an 076 number is not a SIP URI anymore than 01 or 021 is. It's just a non geographic code allocated for VoIP use.

076 999 9999 tells me nothing other than it might be a VoIP number and gives no information about the associated URI unless you've access to a database to look it up.

If your going to assign Voip providers E164 numbers, they have to be geographic independent, that the point of VOIP clients. And you know what the identifier is, its the number.

What do you want to know about the number? Who owns it, where they are located? What if they don't want that information released(which has always been a thing)?
    If you wanted to open the routing of calls to be totally technology neutral, you'd need to open the databases behind routing calls generally to users that aren't just telcos. A lot of the numbers at present wouldn't be reachable as a URI but that could potentially change as the PSTN and mobile networks become VoIP based.

The databases are open. You can buy a SIP trunk from hundreds of companies and make calls to any E164 numbers around the world.
    Obviously you'd get better quality and reliability over dedicated routing and properly managed hardware and we will have to pay for that but it doesn't mean it can't be fully open and that people can have the choice of whatever QoS they're willing to pay for.

How do you differentiate between my gaming traffic and your voice traffic? How do you monitor it, maintain it and deploy it? QOS is not used outside of private networks for a reason.

if you want actual reliability, you end up creating a private network. Which very quickly ends up as modern day phone system.
    The alternative is we all get locked into new proprietary networks like facetime, Skype and WhatsApp.

Services like that have sprung up because a free and open standard is unworkable for the purposes of voice communications in a commercial environment.

I'm not hugely in touch with the individual facing side of the telecoms industry but I could take a rough guess that outside of the last mile, very little of it is left that is not transported over IP internally on private networks. EG PSTN calls are most probably Voip calls once your call hits the local exchange or mast.

It’s actually still a kludge of SS7, TDM and some VoIP. The transition is still far from complete with the older aspects of the telcos. There’s virtualization going on beteeen the era of technologies. We’re a few years away from 100% VoIP behind the scenes.

There are already database look ups used in the PSTN and mobile networks in a mixed non VoIP and VoIP environment. When you call a number, the exchange / network at some point looks it up and checks where it’s routing it. Originally that was only used for special services like 1800 but it’s increasingly used for all calls due to number porting.

It needs to know what the phone number refers to - where it’s hosted.
    For example, if you ring 01 999 9999 it could mean that the number is on an OpenEir TDM switch in Dublin, it could be on an Eir, Vodafone, Digiweb, Virgin or any VoIP provider’s soft switches, it could be forwarding calls...

If you ring 087 xxx xxxx the system needs to know the what carrier to send it to. They all (including the MVNOs) run their own switching systems and other infrastructure.

So there’s a lot of information needed much like the way a URL refers to an IP address when it’s looked up on DNS servers.

I’ve actually had the weird scenario where a UK mobile network was routing traffic into Viber. So when you called an Irish 087 number for example, if the number was registered with viber, the uk mobile network’s switches identified that and sent the traffic to the viber network instead of the PSTN, so viber rang on the app, not the phone. There was no viber app installed at the callers side.

It meant they weren’t paying termination charges if they could dump the call into viber and out of the PSTN.

This is oddly interesting, does Ireland not already do this?

If I move my mobile or home number to another provider, how does traffic know to flowto that provider directly?
    Are they maintaining databases with every single E164 in the country coupled with a underlying identifier for routing/pathing? I see landline networks use 8 digit UAN codes for that purpose, which I assume are segmented per vendor.

For what Johnboy wants to do, ENUM(E164 over DNS) does it. It doesn't address the unreliability or un-trustworthiness of the internet but its a numbering system that ties back into DNS allowing devices to connect and or update their IP address. End result would be borked though, cause of NAT/Firewalls.

• Advertisement

This is oddly interesting, does Ireland not already do this?

If I move my mobile or home number to another provider, how does traffic know to flowto that provider directly?
    Are they maintaining databases with every single E164 in the country coupled with a underlying identifier for routing/pathing? I see landline networks use 8 digit UAN codes for that purpose, which I assume are segmented per vendor.

For what Johnboy wants to do, ENUM(E164 over DNS) does it. It doesn't address the unreliability or un-trustworthiness of the internet but its a numbering system that ties back into DNS allowing devices to connect and or update their IP address. End result would be borked though, cause of NAT/Firewalls.

How would such devices using ONLY IPv6 play into that NAT/Firewall difficulty?

Advertisement