Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheque lodgement/ cashing

• 04-09-2018 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭

Hi.. I have a registered business that I have done v little with, but I do have a cheque here for some work done. I haven't yet been able to set up a business account in the trading name, and that is what the cheque is made out to. Cheque is nearly 6 months old. Bank account opening is v slow. Any ideas what I can do with it? Can I sign on the back and lodge to my personal account or is there anywhere that would cash it, even for a fee? The trading name is a registered business with the CRO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭johnty56

Bumping this as would be grateful for any info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Some banks will let you add a "trading as" to your personal account which will enable you to lodge the cheque. I know About/Boi/UB do/did whereas KBC and PTSB don't (or at least didn't used to). You will need your CRO cert and a few other bits. Assume you've registered for income tax? as I think proof of that is needed too.

Failing that return the cheque and ask for a bank transfer (You could use an obtuse reason like "bank policy" if you want to avoid looking unprofessional)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Contact your bank and tell them what you have told us. I suppose you can support it with documentation (certificate of registration of business name, business stationery with "jonty56 t/a jonty enterprises", whatever). There is a good chance that they will allow you lodge it to your personal account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Some banks will let you add a "trading as" to your personal account which will enable you to lodge the cheque. I know About/Boi/UB do/did whereas KBC and PTSB don't (or at least didn't used to). You will need your CRO cert and a few other bits. Assume you've registered for income tax? as I think proof of that is needed too.

Failing that return the cheque and ask for a bank transfer (You could use an obtuse reason like "bank policy" if you want to avoid looking unprofessional)

BOI wont let you add a trading as name to a personal account....and I cant remenber them ever having done so. In fact, use of personal accounts for business purposes is against the terms and conditions as (a) its an anti money laundering risk not using the account for the declared purpose and (b) they would lose out on higher fees that business accounts are charged.

KBC dont allow it either and I'd be very surprised if the rest of them did.

Advertisement