Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye contact

• 04-09-2018 9:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi all. Just getting a little worried about eye contact in my 11 week old. She doesn't have much of it. She is best when she is lying down and sometimes we can catch her eye and she will smile. However a lot of the time she will look around and even through us. She doesn't react to our voices either. Her sister was smiling at everyone all the time from eight weeks. Has anybody else had anything similar?

She also has poor head control but we have been lazy with tummy time. At birth one pediatrician thought there might be head lag, but another one signed her off at three days old and said it was very subjective at that age. Again compared to her sister, where the midwives were commenting on her great head control at birth, with complete control at 12 weeks.

Poor eye contact combined with head lag is worrying us.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

We were worried about the eye contact and interaction at around the same time and now, at 14 weeks, our little one is looking at us smiling, starting to giggle even. It came on so quickly, as most things seem to, so I'd imagine you're fine :-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I'd give it to 12 weeks and say it to your phn if you still have worries at the three month check.I am guilty of this myself, my third is 16 weeks, and I was concerned he wasn't developing as fast as his sisters up to 12 weeks.I had to keep reminding myself they both developed differently too and that he was ONLY 8/10 weeks, or whatever.Your mind plays tricks on you.I find it is ten/eleven weeks before they kind of become a person and are really interacting with you.I know my first crawled at ten months and walked at 13, but my second crawled at 7/8 months and didn't walk independently til 16 months.They do it all at their own pace, 11 weeks is still really really small.
    Also bear in mind that some kids are just more serious and won't smile so readily at everyone!!!

Advertisement