Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller Housing in Ridgewood, Swords

Options
  • 04-09-2018 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Just saw a note this morning that Fingal CoCo are planning to relocate several traveller families from the halting site at the back of the airport to social housing units in the Ashfield estate in Ridgewood, Swords.

Just wondering if anyone has any more information on this? Any idea how many families they're planning on reloacting and when they're planning to move in?

Contacted the local councillors and all I've found out so far is that they're shutting down the halting site completely.

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

I was just about to post this here too. Got the same note in the door, not happy at all with this news.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Hi,

Just saw a note this morning that Fingal CoCo are planning to relocate several traveller families from the halting site at the back of the airport to social housing units in the Ashfield estate in Ridgewood, Swords.

Just wondering if anyone has any more information on this? Any idea how many families they're planning on reloacting and when they're planning to move in?

Contacted the local councillors and all I've found out so far is that they're shutting down the halting site completely.

From looking at the Ridgewood's residents page's post on Facebook they said they are not responsible for distributing this (it was posted in my letterbox after midnight last night I heard it coming through).

On the post there is a screenshot of an email to Duncan Smith (Labour councillor) from a resident. Councillor states that there are 18 units for allocation for social housing. Out of the 18 it states that there are 2 designated for travellers. He states the allocations are in line with the councils housing allocation policy. He then states that there is no large scale relocation from the halting site. He states it is simply inaccurate.

I don't know who or what to believe yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Got the same message from Fingal, 18 social housing units of which 2 are for traveller housing. Sounds like the majority of the halting site is being relocated to Coolquay

Also, heard from someone in Ridgewood that the majority of social houses are from the two bed terraced units in Ashfield

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

NIMBY

• Advertisement

RobFowl wrote: »
    NIMBY
    With respect, my concern would be regarding the recent incidents of violence from traveller feuds, particularly the incident earlier this year where 3 members of a traveller family (including an 8 month infant) were injured by a shotgun blast.
    Given this apparent disregard for collateral damage, I'm concerned that at some point in the future I'm going to be trying to treat a bullet wound on one of my children who was simply playing outside at the wrong time.
    I think that goes beyond NIMBY

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Who made the note?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

With respect, my concern would be regarding the recent incidents of violence from traveller feuds, particularly the incident earlier this year where 3 members of a traveller family (including an 8 month infant) were injured by a shotgun blast.
    Given this apparent disregard for collateral damage, I'm concerned that at some point in the future I'm going to be trying to treat a bullet wound on one of my children who was simply playing outside at the wrong time.
    I think that goes beyond NIMBY

also the recent video recorded this summer and shared via whatsapp where one gang of travellers went into the pub in applewood waving a hatchet seeking out another traveller group .

I'm happy enough though to be NIMBY on certain issues, don't see why it's considered a dig. I only want the best for the area I live in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

In fairness, there are drug gangs and other criminals involved in violent feuds in various areas, it's not just Travellers, and you never know where they'll kick off. Two units being allocated to Travellers who must obviously want to live in a settled community is a tiny percentage of the area in general and I don't feel anyone has the right to tell them they're not as entitled as non travellers.

And if you were to ask me if I'd be okay with them living on my road I'd say Yes. Nowadays Fingal County Council have a low tolerance policy for everyone who rents from them, and if they cause problems they're put out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

The Kinehans etc aren't travelers and neither are the Monks. Most cocaine users and buyers aren't travelers. most murders, burglaries, assaults, etc are not carried out by travelers.
    Saying travelers who want to settle are going to bring violence with them is a simply matter of ignorance and prejudice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A very well know violent and dangerous thug lives beside me. I'd prefer to have travelers any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Traveller accommodation was built not too far from where I live (in a rural area) a few years ago. There was quite a bit of concern amongst the locals at the time for the usual reasons stated above.

A few years on & you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who has a bad word to say about our new neighbours.

Traveller accommodation was built not too far from where I live (in a rural area) a few years ago. There was quite a bit of concern amongst the locals at the time for the usual reasons stated above.

A few years on & you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who has a bad word to say about our new neighbours.

I cycle by there at least once a week and it's always clean, well presented with no signs of any problems (though a dog did once bark at me going by..)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

RobFowl wrote: »
    I cycle by there at least once a week and it's always clean, well presented with no signs of any problems (though a dog did once bark at me going by..)
    I think I spotted a statue of the BVM there with flowers around it too. Whatever one's religious persuasions, it's nice to see IMO.

(The dogs can be a bit of a nuisance when on the bike alright).

Advertisement