Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Ryanair discusion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Comer1

"DUBLIN (Reuters) – Ryanair’s <RYA.I> Portuguese cabin crew trade union SNPVAC said on Thursday its members would go on strike for five days from Aug. 21."

I'm flying back from Faro on the 21st with Ryanair, is this likely to affect flights or will other cabin crews be used? I don't mind making my own cappuccino if it comes to it.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Comer1 wrote: »
    "DUBLIN (Reuters) – Ryanair’s <RYA.I> Portuguese cabin crew trade union SNPVAC said on Thursday its members would go on strike for five days from Aug. 21."

I'm flying back from Faro on the 21st with Ryanair, is this likely to affect flights or will other cabin crews be used? I don't mind making my own cappuccino if it comes to it.

Thanks

In the same boat myself, can't find any more information on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Comer1 wrote: »

Thanks

Depends on where your flight originates from, if it’s a Dublin based flight it should be no problems, if it’s a Faro based flight expect some disruption

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭adam240610

Booked two tickets to Madrid only two days ago... flying out at the crack of dawn on the 22nd, this better not affect me. Better read up on my travel insurance, could be 600 euro down the drain...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

Let's hope that only as few people as necessary lose their jobs and that for many an advantageous base transfer is possible instead of redundancy.

He is going to wet lease planes to himself.
    https://www.aero.de/news-32247/Polnische-Piloten-fuer-Lauda.html
    German text.

He has intentionally restructured the company to make it as strike proof and flexible as possible. This is underway and unions can't counteract it.

He will be replacing his oldest 737-800s with the 737 8200 and will have the lowest cost (but not the worst paid)labour in the industry flying the most efficient planes from the most economic bases. Thankfully Dublin is one of the bases whose future seems assured and the issue with foreign contracts doesn't affect Irish based pilots flying from Irish bases.
    There is every good reason to believe that Ryanair will be (directly or indirectly) employing considerably more in Dublin by the early 2020s than they do now.

• Advertisement

https://fora.ie/ryanair-hight-court-peter-bellew-4755191-Aug2019/

You can check out but you can never leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

rivegauche wrote:
    You can check out but you can never leave.

No suprise there from litigious O'Leary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

No suprise there from litigious O'Leary.

I don’t see what’s wrong - if Ryanair broke a contract I’m sure Peter Bellew would sue them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭john boye

Are we still classing it as an amicable exit?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Coil Kilcrea

rivegauche wrote: »

Very good line

• Advertisement

Canary Island bases closing from January.
    30 less planes in the fleet.
    planes being moved to more profitable(genuinely more profitable or subsidy supported) locations.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=es&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.finanzas.com%2Fnoticias%2Fempresas%2F20190809%2Fryanair-cerrara-bases-canarias-4022845.html%3Futm_medium%3DSocial%26utm_source%3DTwitter%23Echobox%3D1565338214

https://www.thejournal.ie/ryanair-industrial-action-4758649-Aug2019/
    Irish strike seems likely.
    Sir Humphrey would say that is very courageous.

I legit booked flights to madrid a week ago, going 6am on august 22nd. Please let them go on strike after that...

adam240610 wrote: »
    I legit booked flights to madrid a week ago, going 6am on august 22nd. Please let them go on strike after that...
    Spanish pilot Union might be going on strike in support of the Pilots in the Canary Islands who will be moved or made redundant.
    The first thing you should do to give yourself confidence is to check flightradar24 to see where that plane originates from on that day of the week then you'll know how impacted it will be.

Spanish pilot Union might be going on strike in support of the Pilots in the Canary Islands who will be moved or made redundant.

Should've just booked Iberia for the flight in, was only 20 euro more...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Heading home from Athens on the 23rd of August, well supposed to be. Need this cleared up soon what a nightmare

Meglamonia wrote: »
    Heading home from Athens on the 23rd of August, well supposed to be. Need this cleared up soon what a nightmare
    Seems to be served from Dublin base.
    They're not going to cancel that flight. The amount of compensations they'd have to pay is too high. They'll cancel routes with multiple flights per day instead such as dublin-stansted.

adam240610 wrote: »
    Should've just booked Iberia for the flight in, was only 20 euro more...
    three flights per day. They are unlikely to cancel all of them. Maybe one at most.

three flights per day. They are unlikely to cancel all of them. Maybe one at most.

Hope so, if I get there at least I won't need to worry about my return flight through Iberia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

94% of IALPA pilots at RYR vote in favour of strike action.

This should go someway in rubbishing the company claims that they're enduring hard times and so the job cuts are necessary, they clearly know better and to be honest I never bought their claims to begin with, was always something fishy about it.

So we've Irish, UK, Spanish and Portuguese pilots all threatening imminent strike action.

• Advertisement

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0809/1067867-result-of-ballot-of-ryanair-pilots-due-today/
    "180 of Ryanair's Irish based pilots are members of IALPA"

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/irish-strikes-likely-as-ryanair-pilots-vote-for-industrial-action-1.3981637
    "“The result of Fórsa’s ballot shows that less than half of Ryanair’s Irish pilots are members of Fórsa, and less than 60 per cent of these Fórsa members participated in the ballot with less than 25 per cent of Ryanair’s Irish pilots voting for industrial action,” he said."

Forsa.ie
    "Some 180 directly-employed Ryanair pilots based in Ireland, who are members of Ialpa, were eligible to vote in the ballot. Ryanair pilots employed by agencies were not balloted."

If I count that right that means about 105 pilots voted to strike. I'm happy to be corrected on the number but even if it is closer to 160 I don't think they have the numbers to cause much disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

1123heavy wrote: »
    94% of IALPA pilots at RYR vote in favour of strike action.

This should go someway in rubbishing the company claims that they're enduring hard times and so the job cuts are necessary, they clearly know better and to be honest I never bought their claims to begin with, was always something fishy about it.

So we've Irish, UK, Spanish and Portuguese pilots all threatening imminent strike action.

I'm not sure how a threat of strike action goes towards rubbishing their claims to be honest?

Yes I would be sceptical of Ryanair's claims, but, going on strike is not a sign that the staff know better or the claims are rubbish.

GM228 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how a threat of strike action goes towards rubbishing their claims to be honest?

Yes I would be sceptical of Ryanair's claims, but, going on strike is not a sign that the staff know better or the claims are rubbish.

If the company was truly in financial peril and mandatory job losses that the company could justify in front of a court were unavoidable, the pilots would not be going on strike.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0809/1067867-result-of-ballot-of-ryanair-pilots-due-today/
    "180 of Ryanair's Irish based pilots are members of IALPA"

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/irish-strikes-likely-as-ryanair-pilots-vote-for-industrial-action-1.3981637
    "“The result of Fórsa’s ballot shows that less than half of Ryanair’s Irish pilots are members of Fórsa, and less than 60 per cent of these Fórsa members participated in the ballot with less than 25 per cent of Ryanair’s Irish pilots voting for industrial action,” he said."

Forsa.ie
    "Some 180 directly-employed Ryanair pilots based in Ireland, who are members of Ialpa, were eligible to vote in the ballot. Ryanair pilots employed by agencies were not balloted."

If I count that right that means about 105 pilots voted to strike. I'm happy to be corrected on the number but even if it is closer to 160 I don't think they have the numbers to cause much disruption.

And what about the pilots who are contractors and who's contract stipulates they are forbidden from going on strike? It's a report by RTE News but they seem to have fallen victim to Ryanair maths too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

And what about the pilots who are contractors and who's contract stipulates they are forbidden from going on strike? It's a report by RTE News but they seem to have fallen victim to Ryanair maths too.

You may not like it, but his post was factually correct (as was RTE).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

If the company was truly in financial peril and mandatory job losses that the company could justify in front of a court were unavoidable, the pilots would not be going on strike.

Pretty sure this was the exact situation with the Bus Eireann strikes in 2017 but they went on strike anyway when the company was months from potential insolvency.

It's a different situation entirely obviously but would agree with GM228 that that logic doesn't always apply when it comes to certain unions striking.

Lots of Irish based Ryanair pilots are IALPA members but are unable to strike because they are on probation (i.e. in the company less than 1 year) or are contractors. It's not that they don't want to strike.

Let's see if management are willing to engage in constructive talks with their pilots or will they resort to their usual stance of, "their way or no way"!?

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Pretty sure this was the exact situation with the Bus Eireann strikes in 2017 but they went on strike anyway when the company was months from potential insolvency.

It's a different situation entirely obviously but would agree with GM228 that that logic doesn't always apply when it comes to certain unions striking.

I accept your point but I feel it's different, very different here in fact.

Any look at Ryanair's track record when it comes to unions and strikes shows a very clear pattern, during good or bad times. They shut the troublesome base and announce poor financial records and inevitable job losses. Right now they are simply repeating that pattern and doing exactly what they've done in the past.

Their pilots are aware of this (and I'd say a lot more) and have taken the decision to go on strike.

In the past year they've embarked on a new adventure by setting up 3 other airlines, to all but those who choose to ignore the obvious this is clearly a means to undercut conditions of those in the original Ryanair. A new means to fight the unions and staff.

Does anyone seriously believe Faro is being closed due to hard times? The Canaries, a gold mine for them, has suddenly become unviable? Mainland Spanish pilots are aware it's a con job and fear they'll be next in this game of base roulette so they're taking a stand.

You have to be away with the fairies to believe any of it.

A Ryanair spokesperson said: "We regularly receive threats of industrial action from competitor airline pilot unions from Italy, Portugal and even Aer Lingus pilots occasionally.

"Both we and our pilots ignore these letters, which only receive coverage on SIPTU TV."

This is from last year, if they think they can bat away all these problems by a bit of comedy well they may be about to receive a rude awakening

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

That means nothing, whilst the voting commenced just after the Ryanair announcement the issue at hand predates it and I doubt staff would be put off by such claims even if they are true to be honest because I have seen it happen so many times.

There have been many times when employees went on strike when their employer was genuinely in difficulty, the BE strike mentioned is a good example, they were not just on the brink of insolvency, rather they were insolvent, luckily they pulled through. The Irish Rail strikes also came at a time they were dangerously close to insolvency and then there was the 14 week Waterford Crystal strike which came at a time they were in big financial difficulties.

• Advertisement

1123heavy wrote:
    Any look at Ryanair's track record when it comes to unions and strikes shows a very clear pattern, during good or bad times. They shut the troublesome base and announce poor financial records and inevitable job losses. Right now they are simply repeating that pattern and doing exactly what they've done in the past.

Exactly 1123heavy.

Last August Ryanair put Dublin pilots and cabin crew on Protective Notice. Funnily just after the strikes happened.

Management cited Dublin airport being commercially unviable (me arse).
    But hey presto, as the industrial action kept continuing, suddenly Protective Notice was withdrawn as magically Dublin was making money again!

Ryanair dictate the narrative to suit their needs which so often is based on lies.

Hence why they are being sued in the US for misleading investors.

Advertisement