Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Ryanair discusion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

That was another poster, I'm not a legal expert on differences to UK but I think the two systems are usually very similar.

Ah, my apologies, I should have gone to Specsavers.
    I also thought our laws were very similar to theirs that's why I was wondering if the two court challenges were mirror images or if there was something special about the UK one or whether one ruling could affect the outcome of the other.
    I guess we'll have to wait and see now....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,717 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I also thought our laws were very similar to theirs that's why I was wondering if the two court challenges were mirror images or if there was something special about the UK one or whether one ruling could affect the outcome of the other.

I'd imagine that an agreement under the auspices of the Irish Workplace Relations Commission would carry more weight in the Irish Courts than in the UK Courts - but other than that there's very little difference in the legal frameworks that would be relevant to this dispute

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

For a start the UK case referenced involved BA, not FR, so completely different cases/industrial disputes.

Secondly there are numerous small differences in employment law in both jurisdictions which could lead to a different outcome. The judge could very well rule in favour of the pilots, but a ruling in the UK on pilots in a different airline doesn't automatically mean he will.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,644 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If the court rules for the union today then is the strike tomorrow? And is it just a one day strike?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭sporina

was chatting to a barrister yday and he said that the UK and Irish jurisdictions are v different - they won't affect one another,,,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Ryanair cabin crew in Spain warn of 10-day September strike action.
    https://jrnl.ie/4775823

I'll give it 24 hours before Ryanair release a press statement saying; "Selfish cabin crew seeking Elon Musk-esque salaries of ten million euro hold our poor working class customers to ransom."
    #rollseyes

no update on the news.. grrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

rivegauche wrote: »
    Ryanair twitter indicates that those whose flights may be disrupted have now been notified or that is my interpretation of this tweet.

https://twitter.com/Ryanair/status/1163826148851298305

and according to Will Goodbody tweet the Irish High Court case decision will be announced tomorrow around 10:30am.

I wouldn't rely on that. As far as Ryanair are concerned at the moment, all flights are going ahead till further notice

https://twitter.com/Ryanair/status/1164112246827573248?s=19

so lets say the strike goes ahead - but your flight is still scheduled... imagine major delays with RA flights..

what ye think?

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/willgoodbody/status/1164121660104105986

injunction appears to be granted if I read that right.

so strike not going ahead???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

sporina wrote: »
    so strike not going ahead???

The Irish one isn't. The UK one still may be

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Are they supposed to be on the same days?

Irish strikes are off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

Maybe but they'll definitely have enough staff to cover a strike in the UK so flights won't be affected.

woo hoo.. i hope stansted won't be a mess on fri as flying to there..

It will be interesting to read the Judge's finding but it appears that the crux of the issue is that the Unions insisted on an impartial mediator last year and they are bound to use that mediator now for the moment unless they want to formally dispense with his services and go back to adversarial negotiation.
    I assume costs will be found in favour of Ryanair and their Senior Counsel was certainly racking up the billable hours yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Unions really seemed to throw this one together. If you establish a process you must use that process, not attempt to get a last-minute financial kick in the face to ryanair before the summer season ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Everybody keeps saying the strike is off but all that's happened is the high court has ruled in Ryanair's favour. Still no word from the union if the strike is cancelled. What would happen if they stricked any way ? No one seems to be able to answer that

This is the day that Ryanair's service became strikeproof.
    They won't get similar injunctions in future but by next year they'll have enough non-Union pilots available from non-Unionized locations to be able to rest Union pilots at strategic times of the year and whenever a Union issues a strike notice they will communicate to customers that services will be available as normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,717 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Everybody keeps saying the strike is off but all that's happened is the high court has ruled in Ryanair's favour. Still no word from the union if the strike is cancelled. What would happen if they stricked any way ? No one seems to be able to answer that

Union officials, and possibly the individual pilots, will be held in contempt of court. Could find themselves seeing the inside of Mountjoy or else subjected to financial penalties as punishment, and quite likely open themselves to being sued by Ryanair for any financial losses caused by defying the injunction.

Forsa have shown themselves capable of a few errors in judgement over the past week or two - but I doubt that they are actually stupid enough to ignore a High Court order.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

Is there minimum notice Ryanair have to provide for a flight cancelation? I have a flight to the UK tomorrow evening.

Union has emailed members to confirm strike is cancelled for Thursday and Friday. Pilots will attend work as normal in Ireland.

This is the day that Ryanair's service became strikeproof.
    They won't get similar injunctions in future but by next year they'll have enough non-Union pilots available from non-Unionized locations to be able to rest Union pilots at strategic times of the year and whenever a Union issues a strike notice they will communicate to customers that services will be available as normal.

That is a horrendous prospect for staff. As if things for Ryanair staff weren't bad enough for the past 15 years, now their boss feels he's free to do whatever he likes and is above the law.

God help us all.

IALPA has Ruth Coppinger's support:
    https://twitter.com/RuthCoppingerTD/status/1164131485848363008

Not sure I'd want her support. You'd end up on 35k p.a. salary cos, ya know, tis only fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

That is a horrendous prospect for staff. As if things for Ryanair staff weren't bad enough for the past 15 years, now their boss feels he's free to do whatever he likes and is above the law.

God help us all.

Bit hyperbolic maybe? The union fudged it by not following pre-established procedures agreed upon last year regarding future negotiations and the company were within their right to call them on it and "the law" sided with them on this occasion.

sporina wrote: »
    woo hoo.. i hope stansted won't be a mess on fri as flying to there..
    https://twitter.com/STN_Airport/status/1164135322999054336
    Stansted will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Stansted will be fine.
    If you like this post then please thank it as God knows I get enough abuse around here.

Well now, nobody is forcing you to post here then, is there? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Stansted will be fine.
    If you like this post then please thank it as God knows I get enough abuse around here.

Sympathy thanks there for you.

This Aviation lot can be a strange bunch sometimes using their cryptic codes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

IALPA has Ruth Coppinger's support:
    https://twitter.com/RuthCoppingerTD/status/1164131485848363008

Not sure I'd want her support. You'd end up on 35k p.a. salary cos, ya know, tis only fair.

Presumably she then supports illegal strikes?

Now that's a slippery slope.

Advertisement