Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Ryanair discusion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thanks Wonski, thats always been my experience with them in the past but havent flown with them in more than a year so went they sent emails with a picture of cm measurement of a bag I was thinking they might have their rulers out at the gate !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Do regular routes now between Dublin and Poland where people tend to take a piss with hand luggage and no drama so far.

I did fly 6 times in last 2 months including just before Xmas and just after New Year flights and no issues at all.

Again soft bags are godsend ;) Some people are really chancing it with their "hand luggage" and cabin "bags".

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Trying to book DUB - MUC in April but all dates after end of March are greyed out.
    Would the route be ceased ?
    I did go into their chat and got the bog standard response - the only flights available are the ones on the website .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

Trying to book DUB - MUC in April but all dates after end of March are greyed out.
    Would the route be ceased ?
    I did go into their chat and got the bog standard response - the only flights available are the ones on the website .

Yes the route has been dropped. EI and LH fly to Munich.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

VG31 wrote: »
    Yes the route has been dropped. EI and LH fly to Munich.

Wow surprised at that

I asked over in the travel forum should have asked here

• Advertisement

Would there be any possibility of another carrier taking their place on the route ?
    Transavia operated it before Ryanair .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Is there enough business? EI had it on there own for years and they were not sending A321's down to MUC so they weren't challenged by the demand level, then LH appeared then FR.

There isn't the traffic to sustain the number of daily flights. Munich is expensive and FR has always struggled to get a hold of the DE market

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Would there be any possibility of another carrier taking their place on the route ?
    Transavia operated it before Ryanair .

Highly unlikely given it's operated by the flag carrier from each end. They would mop up the business and long-haul, not leaving much for anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Is there enough business? EI had it on there own for years and they were not sending A321's down to MUC so they weren't challenged by the demand level, then LH appeared then FR.

There isn't the traffic to sustain the number of daily flights. Munich is expensive and FR has always struggled to get a hold of the DE market

Yes but Munich has some great connections and it's one of the easiest airports to pass through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Thats why LH are there and T2 is nice experience. EI has some connecting traffic also, but T1 at MUC can be a pain, improved in 2019 the queues in the AM departures were painful.

FR lots of talk, hasn't really got the connections thing in place and FR has always struggled with the DE market.

Without the MAX FR are getting picky as to what routes to operate with a static fleet size

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Jizique

Thats why LH are there and T2 is nice experience. EI has some connecting traffic also, but T1 at MUC can be a pain, improved in 2019 the queues in the AM departures were painful.

FR lots of talk, hasn't really got the connections thing in place and FR has always struggled with the DE market.

Without the MAX FR are getting picky as to what routes to operate with a static fleet size

MUC was always jammed for FR anytime I flew; you had ski trippers in winter, the city and alps are a big draw in summer for hols, you have at least one large beer festival, you have Christmas markets, you have football,and plenty of Irish people for the “friends and family” market

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Masala

I reckon it’s the Cost of landing charges in MUC. Ryanair not getting any deals..... muc don’t need to do deals and the relationship faltered,!!

Just my 2cents

There's still the option to use Memmingen , FR don't operate every day though and it's a pain paying €30 on the bus .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

There's still the option to use Memmingen , FR don't operate every day though and it's a pain paying €30 on the bus .

Slightly cheaper to get the Airport Shuttle to Memmingen HBF and train to Munich. The Train is generally the best way to go, but I know where you’re coming from about the extra €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Masala wrote: »
    I reckon it’s the Cost of landing charges in MUC. Ryanair not getting any deals..... muc don’t need to do deals and the relationship faltered,!!

Just my 2cents

Slots moved to PMI.

Worth nothing FR warned indirectly very early on that FRA/MUC would need to perform and they haven't (yield wise of course). I also wonder if there was marketing support as Tourism Ireland did have an advertising campaign for both routes with FR.

LH were the same price as FR particularly on advance dates and that itself forced fares in one direction.

Its unfortunate EI have taken some capacity off MUC for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

M O'L says Lufthansa are selling their flights below their own cost to retain share.
    Ryanair are too busy getting back in to the three comma club again while struggling to allocate planes at the moment.
    Lufthansa and Deutsche Bahn are enjoying the reprieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Slots moved to PMI.

Worth nothing FR warned indirectly very early on that FRA/MUC would need to perform and they haven't (yield wise of course). I also wonder if there was marketing support as Tourism Ireland did have an advertising campaign for both routes with FR.

LH were the same price as FR particularly on advance dates and that itself forced fares in one direction.

Its unfortunate EI have taken some capacity off MUC for next year.

Haven’t preformed, I must have done umpteen of these flights in work and they were always full or close to full, apart from the usual Tuesday/Wednesday light loads but thats across the board with all flights. I’d say it’s more got to do with that RYR didn’t get a deal on the charges from the airports and are pulling it due to the costs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Does anyone know what happened with Ryanair in the canaries ? Is it just capacity thing ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Markcheese wrote: »
    Does anyone know what happened with Ryanair in the canaries ? Is it just capacity thing ?

Trying to get rid of unions

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Union busting, plus delays on the Max, i'm sure RA want to divert aircraft to more profitable routes, though you'll never see a flight to the Canaries with any empty seats...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

billie1b wrote: »
    Haven’t preformed, I must have done umpteen of these flights in work and they were always full or close to full, apart from the usual Tuesday/Wednesday light loads but thats across the board with all flights. I’d say it’s more got to do with that RYR didn’t get a deal on the charges from the airports and are pulling it due to the costs

It performed well in terms of passengers. I agree slots and fees are a major factor but equally I suspect overall they was hoped to do slightly better and its about 3 years and whatever deal/incentives have ended and MUC-PMI is a bigger money maker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Anyone having issues with the Ryanair website this morning? I spent nearly an hour trying to book flights. Long periods of page not loading (spinning circle) as I clicked through the various pages. On the third attempt I reached the payment page, entered the card details and clicked 'pay'. I was directed back to the home page, payment wasn't processed. My basket was initially showing the booking and fare amount prior to clicking the payment, but then the basket showed empty and no booking shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

Apologies if already asked but is it possible to see what the specific aircraft is before or as you book it on their site?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Apologies if already asked but is it possible to see what the specific aircraft is before or as you book it on their site?

All their aircraft are the same aside from some minor interior differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

Incident: Ryanair B738 at Bucharest on Jan 21st 2020, smoke in cabin

A Ryanair Boeing 737-800, registration EI-EVH performing flight FR-1008 from Bucharest Otopeni (Romania) to London Stansted,EN (UK) with 169 people on board, was in the initial climb out of Otopeni's runway 08R when the crew declared Mayday Mayday reporting smoke in the cabin. The aircraft stopped the climb at 5000 feet, a few minutes later the crew advised the situation on board was improving and cancelled Mayday adding they believed the smoke had to do with improper de-icing prior to takeoff. The aircraft entered a hold to burn off fuel and returned to Otopeni for a safe landing on runway 26R about one hour after departure.

The flight is estimated to be delayed by about 8.5 hours.

The occurrence aircraft is still on the ground in Bucharest about 4.5 hours after landing back.

Not sure if this is all accurate, but if you look at the last four cycles of this aircraft, they were all going back to Bucharest: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ei-evh

Did they do some flight testing on this plane previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

IQO wrote: »
    Thanks

That looks pretty horrific from a passenger point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,933 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

IQO wrote: »

Not sure if this is all accurate, but if you look at the last four cycles of this aircraft, they were all going back to Bucharest: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ei-evh

Did they do some flight testing on this plane previously?
    What was going on there? Surprised that isnt a major story with that video.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Thargor wrote: »
    What was going on there? Surprised that isnt a major story with that video.

I've heard it was deicing fluid. Maybe incorrectly applied on the ground.
    An incident a decade ago with smoke in the cabin caused a Ryanair plane to evacuate in Kerry. The engines had ingested deicing fluid spraying fumes into the cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Ok, so I don't know much, let me tease this out.

The B737 MAX family is the 4th gen, a replacement for the 3rd gen B737 NG.

There are several variants of the B737 Max:

MAX 7 replaces the B737-700, capacity of 138

MAX 8 replaces the B737-800, capacity = 178-200
    The MAX 200 is a sub-variant of the MAX 8, with 200 seats - this is what Ryanair have ordered?

MAX 9 replaces the B737-900, capacity = 220 max

MAX 10 replaces the B737 ?????, capacity = 230 max.

Ryanair's current fleet is the B737-800 aircraft.

Advertisement