Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel Insurance (non resident)

Options
  • 04-09-2018 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hey,

I have lived in Germay, 5 years as of today actually. I intend on heading home for a week or two in early December and then on to Canada.
    I am hitting an absolute brick wall in regards the mandatory insurance for the duration of the 2 year IEC. Since I have lived in Germany for so long I have had the Citizen Information Bureau confirm I have the rights of a citizen and I am no longer a resident, fair enough. This I am reading something to the extent of the following in the insurance fine print - "You are permanently resident in Ireland or the United Kingdom and have been for the past 6 months prior to the date of issue."
    Since I am leaving Germany and all ties to it I cannot see any sense in German travel insurance (let alone the painful bureaucracy involved) given, why would my potentially dead body be repatriated to a country I have zero ties to.
    Basically has anyone at all got any suggestions because this is becoming quite worrisome with < 3 months to my intended departure.
    Faking my residency in Ireland could I guess leave the potential to lacking any coverage while at the same time, how would they know?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

Advertisement