Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disposing your rubbish in other people's bins

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

cstaff wrote: »
    Regarding bins there is a man on my road who I regularly see walking up and down with small a rubbish bag in his hand and emptying at the bins over by the shop. I don't have a problem with this as such as bins are expensive and he is doing nobody any harm.

Huh?

How is he "doing nobody any harm"? What about the person who is paying for the bins he is using?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 cstaff

GreeBo wrote: »
    Huh?

How is he "doing nobody any harm"? What about the person who is paying for the bins he is using?

He is using the bins outside the shop so it is not costing any individual any money - maybe Dublin City Council but they would be doing that anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

He is using the bins outside the shop so it is not costing any individual any money - maybe Dublin City Council but they would be doing that anyway.

Is there an infinite capacity in the bin? No, so when Skanger Sam dumps his domestic waste into the public bin it's going to leave no room for the intended rubbish, with the predictable consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

A few years back my cousin copped that someone was putting rubbish in his bin, went through the bag and found a bill with an address - brought it back over to the neighbours house and told him to keep away. The neighbour stared him in the eye and said "I'll put my rubbish wherever the fúck I want to put it- OK"

Sparked off a feud of sorts that is still going on today.

Some people are just nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

And who pays for Dublin City Council's bins?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭lassykk

Before the pay by weight we had a neighbour put their rubbish in our bin every week. I didn't mind in the slightest as we never filled the bin and was happy to let it happen. We never mentioned it.

Once pay by weight came in I got a nasty surprise the first time the bill came in for being overweight. Next time we put out the bin I took the additional bags back out (different colour so easy to distinguish) and left them away from the bin but on the side of the road.

The additional bags were taken back by the neighbour pretty much straight away and they haven't done it since.

Wouldn't have fancied a confrontation over it and would have just got a gravity lock had they not taken them back.

They could be the shop bins, but even if they are public bins, they are not for household waste.

Filling them as he does means the need to be emptied more frequently, meaning more people meaning those of us who pay tax are paying for this man to dispose of his rubbish.

Sure why do any of us have bins if using public bins is grand?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Wouldn't be an issue if waste disposal was public. Large bins at the end of the street. Like in most countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Wouldn't be an issue if waste disposal was public. Large bins at the end of the street. Like in most countries.

Really? haven't heard of that. Even more surprised considering how anti environmental it would be.

such as?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

such as?
    Only including countries I've lived in Spain, Cayman Islands and Argentina all off the top of my head. Never paid (directly) towards waste disposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

I regularly find bags of dog crap in my bin and to be honest I really couldn’t care less.

The bin stays outside and I’d much rather it there than on the path where I might step on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

I live in an apartment block and somebody keeps putting rubbish in my wheelie bin, which I brought from my last house. The wheelie bin is in a communal area. I think it’s some fcuk who never bothered buying their own wheelie bin and has the attitude that anybody’s wheelie bin will do. It gets on my tits in a territorial kind of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Only including countries I've lived in Spain, Cayman Islands and Argentina all off the top of my head. Never paid (directly) towards waste disposal.
    It's unsustainable in real terms. Countries who operate this "dump everything and the state collects it" system are drowning under the burden of trying to dispose of this waste.

This the reason most European countries are moving towards a split-bin recycling system if they don't already have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They could be the shop bins, but even if they are public bins, they are not for household waste.

Filling them as he does means the need to be emptied more frequently, meaning more people meaning those of us who pay tax are paying for this man to dispose of his rubbish.

Sure why do any of us have bins if using public bins is grand?:confused:
    Agreed.

A litter warden friend of mine told me that putting household waste in public litter bins is an offence under littering laws.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Caught one doing it in the apartment block where I live and told them they would end up in the bin, also rang the Gardaí as they stank of alcohol too.

A somewhat personal definition of "most" then...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

We had a skip to clear out our attic to get some renovation work done. A very small bag blew out of it during a windy night. Our neighbour called us over and were nice about it and said we'd collect it straight away. Only their adult daughter decided to go crazy and accused of dumping rubbish at their house when they weren't there. Needless to say, we haven't bothered with her since.

Advertisement