Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad Pro 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

kceire wrote: »
    What particular apps do you require?

movies / TV shows / streaming

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

movies / TV shows / streaming

There's a few floating about alright.
    Besides the obvious (Netflix etc). I have MovieDiary, MediaBoxHD on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Thought above was very good, balanced review that shows the good sides and limitations of the iPad Pro.

I do think iOS is holding it back as a laptop replacement especially when you consider its price.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The white pencil looks stupid with black ipads. Surprised Apple let that sort of thing go.

Some of the other limitations are ridiculous. Youtube 4k and usb-c storage is the worst, and the camera sync is daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

awec wrote: »
    The white pencil looks stupid with black ipads. Surprised Apple let that sort of thing go.

Some of the other limitations are ridiculous. Youtube 4k and usb-c storage is the worst, and the camera sync is daft.

Had forgotten about the Apple mail stuff. That pisses me off no end and really highlights what you’re actually working with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

awec wrote: »

On YouTube, Google is refusing to stream 4K content in H265 which is an industry standard and is insisting on using its own codec, and Apple is refusing to support a codec controlled by Google.

It’s a shame consumers are getting caught in the middle of that war of corporate giants, but thinking in the long term I am firmly on Apple’s side here.

Bob24 wrote: »
    On YouTube, Google are refusing to stream 4K content in H265 which is an industry standard and is insisting on using its own codec, and Apple is refusing to support a codec controlled by Google.

It’s a shame consumers are getting caught in the middle of that war of corporate giants, but in the long term I am firmly on Apple’s side here.

Why do support Apple here?

Why do support Apple here?

Google wants to make the codec they control the de facto standard for video streaming, and I think it would be very bad for the video streaming industry to rely on a codec controlled by a single massive company which is competing in that area.

It would be as if back in the days when internet explorer was growing, Microsoft had managed to push for their own alternative to HTML. Would have given them way too much controlled over the web and hampered competition.

Google wants to make the codec the control the de facto standard for video streaming, and I think it would be very bad for the video streaming industry to rely on a codec controlled by a single massive company which is competing in that area.

It would be as if back in the days when internet explorer was growing, Microsoft had managed to push for their own alternative to HTML. Would have given them way too much controlled over the web and hampered competition.

Again, you’ve no issue with the closed, expensive to license H265, but you’re against the open source and royalty free VP9.

Again, you’ve no issue with the closed, expensive to license H265, but you’re against the open source and royalty free VP9.

What do you mean, again?

The problem is that VP9 is open source in the way Android is open source. That is, actually controlled by the largest internet company in the world which (understandably) will use it to serve its own interest.

H265 might not be open source and have licensing fees, but it was developed by standardisation bodies and is not controlled by Google or any other large corporation in the same way as VP9 is, and if someone didn’t have any reason to be against H264 (or MP3, or AAC, or even JPEG) which is my case they have no more reason to be fundamentally against H265 (which is a similar type of standard). I would agree it is a shame that it is tapping into 2 licensing pools which increases the fees, but on the other hand by now it is clear to everyone that advanced technology is never offered by large corporations for free without utter motives, and that when you don’t pay for something there are usually reasons for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

When will these be available in retailers, does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    When will these be available in retailers, does anyone know?

Some compub stores have stock on certain configurations. No Pencils in stock tho.

Setting up my 11in at the Apple Store now :-)

Not really my thing, but got the first customers treatment with clapping and all at the store opening (Miami).

Very nice device and feels lighter than I thought.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Setting up my 11in at the Apple Store now :-)

Not really my thing! but got the first customers treatment with clapping and all at the store opening (Miami).

Very nice device and feels lighter than I thought.

I’m glad this is an iPad thread. I was starting to wonder :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

What’s the easiest and cheapest way of putting together a second charger for this new iPad ? Can a standard usb to usb-c câble be bought and plugged into an existing Apple charger ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

culabula wrote: »
    What’s the easiest and cheapest way of putting together a second charger for this new iPad ? Can a standard usb to usb-c câble be bought and plugged into an existing Apple charger ?

Yep, I bought a handful of Amazon Basics USB-A to USB-C cables and they work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Zcott wrote: »
    Yep, I bought a handful of Amazon Basics USB-A to USB-C cables and they work fine.

Thanks very much. Two just arrived this morning from Amazon for me for 7GBP and work perfectly. Both very long and thick. Excellent quality.

Any ideas about an adaptor for minijack which would allow charging at the same time? Unfortunately I ordered one of those but did not fare so well -didn’t work for either purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

culabula wrote: »
    Thanks very much. Two just arrived this morning from Amazon for me for 7GBP and work perfectly. Both very long and thick. Excellent quality.

Any ideas about an adaptor for minijack which would allow charging at the same time? Unfortunately I ordered one of those but did not fare so well -didn’t work for either purpose.

That one I can't help you with - Apple don't offer anything themselves, and after that it's the luck of the draw...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Anywhere in Dublin stocking these? CompuB seem to be constantly out of stock. PCWorld is offering delivery but no store pickup, taking this to mean the stores might not have them locally? They also don't appear to have the Folio keyboard or the Pencil 2. Harvey Norman don't have them at all, just a 'coming soon' banner.

Will probably just pull the trigger on the Apple Store online, but the impatient part of me is seriously contemplating a road trip to Belfast...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Anywhere in Dublin stocking these? CompuB seem to be constantly out of stock. PCWorld is offering delivery but no store pickup, taking this to mean the stores might not have them locally? They also don't appear to have the Folio keyboard or the Pencil 2. Harvey Norman don't have them at all, just a 'coming soon' banner.

Will probably just pull the trigger on the Apple Store online, but the impatient part of me is seriously contemplating a road trip to Belfast...

Harvey Norman had stock of 64gb in a few stores during the week. Pencils are harder to come by. CompuB swords had some stock but was gone within hours. I managed to reserve one in Argos Liffey valley but they charge €150 for them, as if 135 wasn’t a massive amount already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 fccallan

Rang Belfast apple store today - out of stock on the 11 inch 64gb with a predicted delivery date of 5th of December. Hard to see them not restocking before then??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

fccallan wrote: »
    Rang Belfast apple store today - out of stock on the 11 inch 64gb with a predicted delivery date of 5th of December. Hard to see them not restocking before then??

Order online at apple.com/ie and you’ll most likely get it delivered before the 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Gave up on the idea of sourcing locally, just hit Order on the website.

12.9" 256GB Wi-Fi Space Grey, with keyboard and Pencil.

Can't believe how much money I just spent :eek:

Estimated delivery 30 November to 05 December.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Heading to NYC on the 1st, macbook and current iPad will hopefully be sold before then to help fund a new Space Grey with Keyboard and Pencil :pac:

I have bought a lot of tech from the states in the past, but fortunately havent had to contact support.
    Does anyone know what Apples stand is for warranty issues outside of the country of purchase??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Ordered the 11” Pro last night, 256 and celular. No keyboards or anything right now. Arrives on Dec 5-7 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Heading to NYC on the 1st, macbook and current iPad will hopefully be sold before then to help fund a new Space Grey with Keyboard and Pencil :pac:

I have bought a lot of tech from the states in the past, but fortunately havent had to contact support.
    Does anyone know what Apples stand is for warranty issues outside of the country of purchase??

I bought a MacBook Pro back in 2010 while visiting Florida. I had a hard drive failure after a couple of months while I was in Ecuador. Went to the Apple reseller/agent/partner there as no Apple Store and they did it under warranty. I did have Apple Care but not sure if that was how it was processed or if it was just under the standard 12 month warranty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Damo 2k9 wrote: »

Worldwide warranty for 12 months.

I bought a MacBook Pro back in 2010 while visiting Florida. I had a hard drive failure after a couple of months while I was in Ecuador. Went to the Apple reseller/agent/partner there as no Apple Store and they did it under warranty. I did have Apple Care but not sure if that was how it was processed or if it was just under the standard 12 month warranty.
    whiterebel wrote: »
    Worldwide warranty for 12 months.

Cheers lads, thanks for the info. Have read there is decent availability in store in the states so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Any sign of cases other that the official Apple ones?

• Advertisement

jenno86 wrote: »
    Any sign of cases other that the official Apple ones?

Otterbox Symmetry for the new line have gotten decent reviews, protection for the pencil too. Although this is apple only, so not sure if you mean from amazon etc.

I was thinking of getting that, and then a cheap bluetooth keyboard to go with it instead of the Keyboard Folio.

Advertisement