Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad Pro 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Otterbox Symmetry for the new line have gotten decent reviews, protection for the pencil too. Although this is apple only, so not sure if you mean from amazon etc.

I was thinking of getting that, and then a cheap bluetooth keyboard to go with it instead of the Keyboard Folio.

Yeah, saw that on the iMore website I think but it hasn't mede it to the Irish Otterbox site yet. It does look like the ideal flolio to me. I hope I can get it soon as my Pro 11 arrived today.

Ah, I reread the article and it is Apple only. I see it is on the Apple website now. Might have to pull the trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Ah, I reread the article and it is Apple only. I see it is on the Apple website now. Might have to pull the trigger.

Very nice case isint it!! Definitely think ill go that route instead of the keyboard folio.

Very nice case isint it!! Definitely think ill go that route instead of the keyboard folio.

Ordered it last night and said it will be delivered today. I'll give an update on what it's like when I get it.

On the Apple keyboard folio, I had a try of it in an Apple store and didn't like it much. With it folded back and in your hand, I didn't like having my fingers squish a bunch of keys as I held it. I guess you can just get over it but mentally I was going "stop pressing all the buttons" like a parent would say to a kid.

I tried the iPad in it's two typing positions and felt that at least 50% of the time I'm not at a right height table or even have the space. If you're at a comfortable desk it did seem to type pretty nicely but if your using the tray table on a train or plane or in a coffee shop with low tables or on your sofa, it doesn't suit. I prefer to cross my legs and have it balanced there (which doesn't sound ideal I know).

Last weird personal thing is when I'm typing with the on screen keyboard then I'm in the mindset of touch screen. When I use an external keyboard I often have a split second reach for a mouse/trackpad and then reach out to the screen. When I've typos and things it's just another process to reach out to the screen. My life is terrible hard lads! I know there should be some keyboard shortcuts to skip to start of last word or whatever but haven't learned them. Anyway, I'm pretty used to the onscreen keyboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 fccallan

If anyone is still looking to buy the new iPad Pro - Compu B has the 64GB model reduced to €845 this weekend!

Got the pencil and iPad for €973 - collecting in Dublin tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

fccallan wrote: »
    If anyone is still looking to buy the new iPad Pro - Compu B has the 64GB model reduced to €845 this weekend!

Got the pencil and iPad for €973 - collecting in Dublin tomorrow :D

Just remember these are last years models and not the new ones with full screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

murpho999 wrote: »
    Just remember these are last years models and not the new ones with full screen.

Nope, the new iPad Pros are reduced too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nope, brand new models are reduced.
    Also, if you buy from Curry’s using your visa debit you get a 10% off making it €818 I believe. Curry’s havent reduced the price so the 10% comes off the &909 figure.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I know its old tech, but in case someone was looking for an iPad mini 4 - Littlewoods have them for €353.99 with free delivery at the moment. 128GB WiFi.

• Advertisement

Nope, the new iPad Pros are reduced too.
    kceire wrote: »
    Nope, brand new models are reduced.
    Also, if you buy from Curry’s using your visa debit you get a 10% off making it €818 I believe. Curry’s havent reduced the price so the 10% comes off the &909 figure.

Ok, my mistake, thought it was just the 10.5" from last year.

Was going to pull the plug on Compu B, but 150+ saving if i get everything in NYC so going to hold out.

@holystungun thanks for that info, I will definitely give it a look before I commit. I was thinking of getting the Otterbox and then a bluetooth keyboard to have in the bag if needs be.

If I like the keyboard folio, I will get that and then a nice sleeve for transporting.

Ok, my mistake, thought it was just the 10.5" from last year.

In fairness, it’s very rare to see apple products reduced, especially a couple of weeks after release. And rather annoying if someone *ahem* has just bought one :(

ok, so I pulled the trigger today!

I was playing around with the iPad Pro and Pencil in some shops as i'm trying to go paperless with my personal work.
    I basically measure and draw houses for extensions and Planning Applications and I wanted this to be as paperless and cut down on waste etc

So I ordered the iPad Pro 11" from Currys.ie and net cost was €818.10 with the Visa cashback offer.
    Ordered the Pencil from Apple.ie Education Store for €121 as its nowhere in stock and closest was CompuB at €128 but no stock as mentioned.
    Ordered the Smart Folio Keyboard from Apple for €199 as this doesn't seem to be on offer anywhere and CompuB had no stock either.

Credit card is in shock :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Looks a beautiful device.

ok, so I pulled the trigger today!

I was playing around with the iPad Pro and Pencil in some shops as i'm trying to go paperless with my personal work.
    I basically measure and draw houses for extensions and Planning Applications and I wanted this to be as paperless and cut down on waste etc

So I ordered the iPad Pro 11" from Currys.ie and net cost was €818.10 with the Visa cashback offer.
    Ordered the Pencil from Apple.ie Education Store for €121 as its nowhere in stock and closest was CompuB at €128 but no stock as mentioned.
    Ordered the Smart Folio Keyboard from Apple for €199 as this doesn't seem to be on offer anywhere and CompuB had no stock either.

Credit card is in shock :(

All in all, you did as well as you're going to do price-wise. Now, just the painful wait but you'll be delighted when it's in your hands.
    I'm holding off on the pencil as I don't "need" it right now but I'm looking forward to getting it, maybe at xmas or in Jan. I used it in an Apple Store and was really impressed.
    I am hopeful to get better with written notes on one iPad. Currently, I spread various types of nonsense and scribbles in my own chaotic way across three notebooks and random slips of paper. I'd love to just get to grips with the iPad and pencil and have a better system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Hi
    Quick question anybody use the pro for photo editing? Currently have a two year old iPad that I use with lightroom but I shortly am going to need an upgrade and was wondering how good the pencil might be with photos.
    I would probably need the larger screen and big storage so what I spend would probably get me a MacBook. I am comfortable using the iPad.

harr wrote: »
    Hi
    Quick question anybody use the pro for photo editing? Currently have a two year old iPad that I use with lightroom but I shortly am going to need an upgrade and was wondering how good the pencil might be with photos.
    I would probably need the larger screen and big storage so what I spend would probably get me a MacBook. I am comfortable using the iPad.

Really depends on what sort of photos you’re editing and how you’re editing them. If you need the bigger screen and large storage, it’s gonna cost a decent chunk of change. Being honest, the pencil is nice and all but isn’t necessarily worth the cost if you’re talking purely photo editing. I’m only a hobbyist with regards to photo editing but I can’t see how the pencil would provide any massive advantage.

Anybody notice the pencil or folio cases in stores anywhere?

I’ve ordered from Apple but the delivery has now changed until 18th December.
    Just hate using it without a case.

Anybody notice the pencil or folio cases in stores anywhere?

I’ve ordered from Apple but the delivery has now changed until 18th December.
    Just hate using it without a case.

Don’t know where you are but I picked up a pencil in CompuB Limerick a week ago. No idea if they had the folio in stock. And I know what you mean about a naked iPad. I left mine unopened for maybe 4 days till my Ottorbox came.

• Advertisement

Don’t know where you are but I picked up a pencil in CompuB Limerick a week ago. No idea if they had the folio in stock. And I know what you mean about a naked iPad. I left mine unopened for maybe 4 days till my Ottorbox came.

Sorry should have specified, Dublin.

All the usuals have none. CompuB, HN, iConnect.
    It’s stored in the box when I’m not using it :)

Hopefully Apple deliver early

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭WildWater

I want to record audio voice over while writing with the pencil. Think worked out maths solution with audio. Then be able to make these recordings available say as mp4 files. Appreciate if anyone can tell me if this new Pro + Pencil + app (which one?) would be a great solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

WildWater wrote: »
    I want to record audio voice over while writing with the pencil. Think worked out maths solution with audio. Then be able to make these recordings available say as mp4 files. Appreciate if anyone can tell me if this new Pro + Pencil + app (which one?) would be a great solution.

Notes + voice memos in split screen, whilst screen recording the iPad screen from control centre.

Notability

I've paid the 10.99 for it as I use it for house surveys, building measurement surveys. I can write, draw the layout, put in measurements and also add photos straight in there while im surveying and actually mark dimensions etc on them.

It does voice over recording also, as I see a lot of US students use this feature.

Notability

I've paid the 10.99 for it as I use it for house surveys, building measurement surveys. I can write, draw the layout, put in measurements and also add photos straight in there while im surveying and actually mark dimensions etc on them.

It does voice over recording also, as I see a lot of US students use this feature.

Thanks Kceire, I'll check that out. Do you know if you can then share the recording outside of the Notability app?

Thanks Kceire, I'll check that out. Do you know if you can then share the recording outside of the Notability app?

Sorry not sure.
    A bit of time on you tube may help with that.

If I get a chance over the next few days I’ll try it out.

Sorry not sure.
    A bit of time on you tube may help with that.

If I get a chance over the next few days I’ll try it out.

No worries, just though you might already know. Yes, did quick look on youtube. Certainly looks like a great app. Still unsure about exporting but I'll find out.

So I got this whilst in NYC, 11" 64GB Space grey with Keyboard Folio and Pencil.

Absolutely love it, smashing piece of kit. Find the keyboard a dream to type on, the pencil will take a bit of getting used to tho :pac:

Going to get a few more bits for it, a sleeve for when its in the backpack, USB-C Hub etc. Have heard nothing but bad things regarding screen protectors so will steer clear of them.

Everybody seems to be getting the pencil.

I wonder why.

What does it bring for the likes of myself who does not do art not write notes?

I don't get why so many people would want it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Knockeen

Hi I ordered 12.9 size version plus pencil plus keyboard. Plan to use mostly for work but with 4 kids in the house I want to make sure I get good case in case kids drop and sleeve for carrying into work. Any suggestions? Someone previously posted that screen protectors were not a good idea. Why’s this?

Advertisement