Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad Pro 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Knockeen

Hi I ordered 12.9 size version plus pencil plus keyboard. Plan to use mostly for work but with 4 kids in the house I want to make sure I get good case in case kids drop and sleeve for carrying into work. Any suggestions? Someone previously posted that screen protectors were not a good idea. Why’s this?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

murpho999 wrote: »
    Everybody seems to be getting the pencil.

I wonder why.

What does it bring for the likes of myself who does not do art not write notes?

I don't get why so many people would want it.

I’m getting it as I take Building measurement surveys. So I’ll be sketching and taking notes.

I won’t be doing art or any of the likes of that.

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    So I got this whilst in NYC, 11" 64GB Space grey with Keyboard Folio and Pencil.

Absolutely love it, smashing piece of kit. Find the keyboard a dream to type on, the pencil will take a bit of getting used to tho :pac:

Going to get a few more bits for it, a sleeve for when its in the backpack, USB-C Hub etc. Have heard nothing but bad things regarding screen protectors so will steer clear of them.

I ordered the PaperLike screen protector.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭jones

Anyone experiencing the bending issue that was reported on the 2018 pros? I have iPad air and thought the new pro was exactly the upgrade I needed. So anyone experience it?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Razor Russ

jones wrote: »
    Anyone experiencing the bending issue that was reported on the 2018 pros? I have iPad air and thought the new pro was exactly the upgrade I needed. So anyone experience it?
    I have an iPad Pro a few days now. No bending issue at all.

• Advertisement

jones wrote: »

No not yet. Have mine a month or so. But I haven’t specifically tried to bend it either.

It lives in a Smart Keyboard case though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

No bending here either.

Just ordered 11 inch pro looking forward to putting it through its paces

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Got this sleeve for my 11" IPP and its a perfect fit, with enough space for the pencil. Has pockets on the front and back for phone, headphones etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075L45WXP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered the Ztotop case from Amazon apparently almost identical to Apple's folio case minus the cost. Will report back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Still no bends on the new iPad Pro folks? Have an Air 2 that I was going to upgrade, but I travel a lot and even though it’s always in a case I need something sturdy.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Still no bends on the new iPad Pro folks? Have an Air 2 that I was going to upgrade, but I travel a lot and even though it’s always in a case I need something sturdy.

Checked mine last night. Straight as Chuck Norris.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I was thinking of upgrading to one of the 120hz models, this bendgate or whatever it's called has me concerned, if it's bent out of the box Apple seem to think that's ok or have I got it wrong, are they replacing bent ones?
    Is there any strong one of the 120hz that won't bend?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

The bend that comes out of the factory is at 400 microns maximum, 0.4 of a millimetre (about the thickness of 2-3 sheets of paper). something you may notice but it's definitely not to the extent of the images you'd see on the online articles on the subject.

Not saying it's ok, but the images and the articles don't match up. I'd say the majority of the pictures shown bent iPad's happen outside of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Any bending is enough to turn me off, the screen will never sit right if you've to replace it, is the 2017 stronger, doesn't have to be new, just want the fast screen in my next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

all super thin aluminium/glass sandwiches will bend. the older ones just hid it better, my iPad mini 2 is bent but I only noticed when I stuck the edge of a ruler on the back of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 glitterslut

I got a 12.9 inch 512gb IPad pro with WiFi and it doesnt lay flat on the screen side. I got it Christmas week and it was bent out of the box and initially I didn't mind, but the longer it goes on the more it grates on me paying 1600+ for it plus the pencil and a sleeve for it to have a cosmetic defect out of the box.

Upon closer inspection in better light and tilting it, I can see that's a sliiiight dip in the screen on the microphone side. I've got a call with apple customer care at lunch to see what they say!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I was thinking of upgrading to one of the 120hz models, this bendgate or whatever it's called has me concerned, if it's bent out of the box Apple seem to think that's ok or have I got it wrong, are they replacing bent ones?
    Is there any strong one of the 120hz that won't bend?

You have it wrong. The tolerance is 0.4 of a mm. Not visible to the naked eye. If it is bent anything like the photos online then they will replace it.

I mean the whole thing is absolutely ridiculous. Try and bend your laptop screen or in fact any other piece of 11" glass and aluminium and see how you go.

A complete no issue that people who get excited about these kind of things got excited about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Anyone get a faster charger for their iPad Pro? Looking for suggestions/recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 fccallan

jenno86 wrote: »
    Anyone get a faster charger for their iPad Pro? Looking for suggestions/recommendations.

I use my MacBook Pro usb-c charger - works really fast!

Probably could get a cheaper version on eBay instead of buying the apple one?

• Advertisement

First of all i absolutely love the Pro 11" its street ahead of my old ipad air. Screen sound speed everything. It looks the business. No bending on my unit (i have wifi only) all in all very happy with my purchase. I am going to get the apple keyboard at some point but in the meantime i got Ztotop case from amazon and its serious quality. Almost a clone for the apple folio but at a third of the price. Highly recommended

jenno86 wrote: »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D36RZFT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Got this, I havent timed it exactly but definitely faster and a USB port for any other cables is handy.

Has anyone on here gotten a USB-C -> HDMI adapter?
    Purchased the following from amazon, but the picture is unusable when plugged into anything
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075V68NVR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

I'm looking to pick up an iPad Pro 11 256gb
    Anyone have recommendations where to buy cheapest? Pricespy tells me Curry's at €1039 just wondering if there was anywhere else I should look before I go ahead with that.
    Cheers

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

They’re usually the same price everywhere. Try the usual suspects, Currys, HN, Apple, CompuB.

Hard to find discounts in Ireland indeed.

In case your are a student/lecturer or know someone who is one, Apple is offering discounted prices for iPads on their website for education. The discounts are pretty small, but I guess it’s better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Bob24 wrote: »
    Hard to find discounts in Ireland indeed.

In case your are a student/lecturer or know someone who is one, Apple is offering discounted prices for iPads on their website for education. The discounts are pretty small, but I guess it’s better than nothing.
    you dont even need to be, anyone can take advantage of this.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    you dont even need to be, anyone can take advantage of this.

I know what you mean, but Apple’s website clearly states: “Available to current and newly accepted university students, parents buying for university students, and teachers and staff at all levels”. So that’s the official policy.

I'm looking to pick up an iPad Pro 11 256gb
    Anyone have recommendations where to buy cheapest? Pricespy tells me Curry's at €1039 just wondering if there was anywhere else I should look before I go ahead with that.
    Cheers

Are you with PTSB or UB?
    They do the visa rewards scheme. I got mine from curry’s and then got 10% cash back a week later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

kceire wrote: »
    Are you with PTSB or UB?
    They do the visa rewards scheme. I got mine from curry’s and then got 10% cash back a week later.

Ta, I'm with BOI. They have a similar scheme but nothing doing with Currys at the moment.

Advertisement