Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Denmark naming indoor 5-a-side players in their squad this week

• 04-09-2018 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/0904/991523-denmark-futsal-nations/

What do you think of this?

A row over commercial rights. Danish FA rejected an offer from the player's union to extend the old contract to cover these 2 games and then continue negotiating.

Looks like it'll be a team of domestic players only, including some futsal players.

Wales should have an advantage on Sunday now, but to be honest this League of Nations thingy is only going to come up with 4 qualifiers for the Euros so probably won't make much difference to us anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well they're stuck either agree to players stuff or disagree and get thrown out.

Commercially they cant agree

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Can they not get players from the Danish league??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

ERG89 wrote: »
    Can they not get players from the Danish league??

Solidarity, they wont play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If only the fixtures were kinder and we were playing Denmark first, we'd only lose by 2 or 3 to the futsal lads. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Post by someone on the Wales boards who is also a union rep (terrible grammer corrected!). I'd say their take on it is spot on;

“Players association demands put funding at risk (as DBU see it) for the future of Danish football etc. They will not extend by one month the old deal as this just puts the next games at risk and increases players power.

If they play this under strength team at the start they can play this team, or a team like the one, this week right through the Nations league thus UEFA can’t claim that they put the competition at risk. If they play say a weak team now against Wales and do an agreement and play strong team later, or vice versa, that would be wrong in fairness of the Nations league – that’s why if they played Erikson and co now they would have to play them all the way through thus power switching to players. So there will be no extension to the old agreement and this (weak) squad will play all way through, or there will be last ditch full new deal before Sunday."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Does this mean there'll be loads of trickshots and attempted volleys and the like in the Wales - Denmark game?

It looks like they've got nearly enough players from their 3rd tier to agree to join the squad, with 4 Futsal players fleshing it out.

If there is no agreement and that squad plays Wales, it will get embarrassing - i'd imagine Denmark's 3rd tier would be on a par with San Marino?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If only the fixtures were kinder and we were playing Denmark first, we'd only lose by 2 or 3 to the futsal lads. :o

Optimistic there ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Btw, if Martin oneill or Joachim Löw are reading this, if this happens to ireland or Germany I'll cross the picket in a heartbeat for a cap :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Squad for tomorrow's friendly away to Slovakia has been announced. One guy plays in the top half of the 2nd Division (third tier). The rest are either bottom half of that Duvision or in the one below it.

Bookies have Slovakia at 1/14, the draw at 9/1 and Denmark at 12/1. Can't see any prices currently available on the Wales game but apparently Wales were 4/1 the other day (although I hadn't looked myself) and were 4/5 when I looked yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Collie D wrote: »
    Squad for tomorrow's friendly away to Slovakia has been announced. One guy plays in the top half of the 2nd Division (third tier). The rest are either bottom half of that Duvision or in the one below it.

Bookies have Slovakia at 1/14, the draw at 9/1 and Denmark at 12/1. Can't see any prices currently available on the Wales game but apparently Wales were 4/1 the other day (although I hadn't looked myself) and were 4/5 when I looked yesterday.

No value in that at all!! ridiculous price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

fyfe79 wrote: »

If they play this under strength team at the start they can play this team, or a team like the one, this week right through the Nations league thus UEFA can’t claim that they put the competition at risk. If they play say a weak team now against Wales and do an agreement and play strong team later, or vice versa, that would be wrong in fairness of the Nations league – that’s why if they played Erikson and co now they would have to play them all the way through thus power switching to players. So there will be no extension to the old agreement and this (weak) squad will play all way through, or there will be last ditch full new deal before Sunday."

Was only thinking about this, how unfair is it on us that Wales get such an advantage, would we be right to complain to Uefa, this isn't just a weakend squad its the equivalent of LOI 1st Div/Leinster Senior league lining out for Ireland in the event of our players going on strike, it ain't right so they should be made play with the squad throughout the first series of games or competition in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

They should be kicked out ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

ebbsy wrote: »
    They should be kicked out ?

For fulfilling their fixture?

major bill wrote: »
    Was only thinking about this, how unfair is it on us that Wales get such an advantage, would we be right to complain to Uefa, this isn't just a weakend squad its the equivalent of LOI 1st Div/Leinster Senior league lining out for Ireland in the event of our players going on strike, it ain't right so they should be made play with the squad throughout the first series of games or competition in general.

Yep. Whatever squad lines out against Wales must play the remainder of the competition, otherwise it brings the game into disrepute as Wales would have been given a massive advantage over Ireland. For that reason I can't see their FA extending the deal for a month, because then they'll be obliged to pick their strongest squad for the remainder of the Nations League which gives the players all the power in negotiations next month. For that reason I think if their pub team plays Wales this weekend, then we'll also play the same team.

Hopefully, in that scenario, we'll scrape a scoreless draw out there, all going well!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Yep. Whatever squad lines out against Wales must play the remainder of the competition, otherwise it brings the game into disrepute as Wales would have been given a massive advantage over Ireland. For that reason I can't see their FA extending the deal for a month, because then they'll be obliged to pick their strongest squad for the remainder of the Nations League which gives the players all the power in negotiations next month. For that reason I think if their pub team plays Wales this weekend, then we'll also play the same team.

Hopefully, in that scenario, we'll scrape a scoreless draw out there, all going well!

What nonsense. You saying if Man Utd for example got drawn V Bury at home in League Cup 3rd round and played a team of kids, they should play a team of kids in every game?

If Germany decided to play all U-21 players in a quailifer V San Marino for example, if next game was V Ireland they should have to use same players as the first game?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

What nonsense. You saying if Man Utd for example got drawn V Bury at home in League Cup 3rd round and played a team of kids, they should play a team of kids in every game?

If Germany decided to play all U-21 players in a quailifer V San Marino for example, if next game was V Ireland they should have to use same players as the first game?

The nations cup is a mini league, not a knock out like the league cup so it's not even closely equivalent. And Germanys U21s would beat a lot of international sides (as seen in the Confederations Cup) and are actual professional footballers unlike the players Denmark have named.

The premier league has in the past fined clubs for putting out under strength teams, as it unbalances the competition which is 38 games long, never mind one that's 4 games long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

GavRedKing wrote: »

Futsal requires skill and control of the ball on the ground. When have Ireland ever let thst happen?

Basically can't play futsal if the balls in the air all match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

Can’t see how forcing Denmark to play a weakened team all through the competition would be fair either. That’s kind of like saying if a player gets injured he’s not allowed play again when fit in the competition because he didn’t play against X when he was injured. Or for somebody being suspended.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

daheff wrote: »
    Can’t see how forcing Denmark to play a weakened team all through the competition would be fair either. That’s kind of like saying if a player gets injured he’s not allowed play again when fit in the competition because he didn’t play against X when he was injured. Or for somebody being suspended.

There's a huge difference between 1 professional player out of a squad of 23 being replaced by another professional player and a squad of 23 professionals being completely replaced by amateur and 5 a side players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Does this mean there'll be loads of trickshots and attempted volleys and the like in the Wales - Denmark game?

GAMEBREAKER!
    wLwtL7C.png

There's a huge difference between 1 professional player out of a squad of 23 being replaced by another professional player and a squad of 23 professionals being completely replaced by amateur and 5 a side players.

absolutely. But what if the one player was ronaldo? or messi & aguero for argentina?

or Rodriquez for Colombia? Salah for Liverpool? Or a team struck with a virus a day before a big match?

where do you draw the line then? As the rules stand, a squad is picked for each match based on available players. In this case Denmark's usual squad players are not available. They might be the next time there is a match.

UEFA may come down hard on the Danish FA anyway – they withdrew their ladies team from a qualifier last year and have been warned one more instance of withdrawing any of their teams, and they could be banned from competition. If they field a massively different squad vs Wales than against us, Ireland would have cause for grievance with UEFA, especially if we are relegated which would affect earnings and future qualifications. The Danish FA know this, and are worried about UEFA’s reaction to that which is why I think they refused the players’ offer of extending the current contract by a month. If the contract was extended, the senior players would have the Danish FA over a barrel then, because they could then threaten to withdraw their services for the Ireland game, having played against Wales…. In effect, a reversal…. Wales could complain to UEFA about Ireland having an advantage. This is what bringing the game into disrepute is all about – and Denmark will do so unless they field the same squad (within reason… one or two replacements here and there) throughout the campaign.

I think unless there’s a last minute deal before the Wales game to appease both the FA and the senior pro’s, then the amateurs will play the whole tournament. The Danish FA can’t afford to have only a month extension – they need a full agreement before the Wales game. If they agree to the extension, they’re then at the mercy of the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

"The Replacements" playing now against Slovakia. Actually doing pretty well - 1-0 down, but playing decent football at times, created a few chances.

Just waiting for them to spring Shane Falco/Keanu Reeves from the bench and take charge of things!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

FIFA/UEFA or whoever came up with this nonsense Nations league should take some blame - the WC stoked my interest back in international football , a bit , but this league and expanding the WC further , means I have little interest in what happens internationally this weekend - the sooner the crooked Powers that be realise that less is sometimes more (ie Quality) - wake me up when its over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,940 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

So Wales will get 3 pts from a scratch Denmark team while Ireland will have to face a full Denmark team.

Surely UEFA need to step in because that is totally unfair unfair for us and major advantage for Wales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

thebaz wrote: »
    FIFA/UEFA or whoever came up with this nonsense Nations league should take some blame - the WC stoked my interest back in international football , a bit , but this league and expanding the WC further , means I have little interest in what happens internationally this weekend - the sooner the crooked Powers that be realise that less is sometimes more (ie Quality) - wake me up when its over.

With out this nations league come seeding for qualification for World Cup and Euros people will be asking why Norway and others are in the top 2 pots and Ireland in pot 3 or lower, it was because those nations never played friendly games and were playing the system to get better qualifying groups.

This will even out that seeding situation as teams will have to play games

So Wales will get 3 pts from a scratch Denmark team while Ireland will have to face a full Denmark team.

Surely UEFA need to step in because that is totally unfair unfair for us and major advantage for Wales.

There was a Danish chap on Second Captains the other day, saying he reckons whatever team goes out to face Wales, is what they'll have to use for the rest of the tournament, to protect the integrity of the competition - otherwise Uefa would be even more pissed with them. So there's a good chance they'll effectively just wipe off this season of Nations League and take their 'relegation' to the C division, even if they sort out their dispute in the meantime.

This keeper's playing himself into a professional contract i'd say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

sugarman wrote: »

As for competition expansion, it has to happen as more and more teams enter the competition. Between 1990 and 2018 world cup, the number of teams entering qualifying has almost double from 116 to 210. UEFA members have increased from 32 to 55 in the same period.

Are you implying that by doubling the number of country , the quality has doubled , how many of these new nations , are serious challengers , Croatia for sure that came from a strong Yugoslavia - the expansion of the WC , this new league format , is slowly eroding my interest in inrternational footall - its sad but true , I used to love it. This and other stories just show up the problems with international football today, that is exasperated by greed , and having too many games. I have very little interest in what happens this weekend, and used to be an Irish fanatic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

With out this nations league come seeding for qualification for World Cup and Euros people will be asking why Norway and others are in the top 2 pots and Ireland in pot 3 or lower, it was because those nations never played friendly games and were playing the system to get better qualifying groups.

When exactly did Norway not play friendly games, playing the system to get better qualifying groups?

thebaz wrote: »
    Are you implying that by doubling the number of country , the quality has doubled , how many of these new nations , are serious challengers , Croatia for sure that came from a strong Yugoslavia - the expansion of the WC , this new league format , is slowly eroding my interest in inrternational footall - its sad but true , I used to love it. This and other stories just show up the problems with international football today, that is exasperated by greed , and having too many games. I have very little interest in what happens this weekend, and used to be an Irish fanatic

Don't see how he's implying that at all - think it's more a case that if you have that many more teams, for international football to relevant beyond the very top tier, there has to be some chance for other teams to make it. Adding some stakes for those teams with the Nations League - and a bunch of matches between equally skilled teams, makes a lot of sense. I mean, there's more football than ever, but that doesn't mean you have to watch it..

Also, I would have thought the most recent World Cup was a rgeat example of what supposedly lesser teams can do on the field. A lot of the best and most exciting football was played by some of the lesser countries, producing some great games. Peru, Morocco, Japan, Russia etc, whilst some of the higher ranked teams, like France and Poland, were involved in some absolutely turgid affairs.

sugarman wrote: »
    Plenty of teams do this, the best example is actually Wales playing very little friendlies.

Perhaps they do, and Wales might well be an example of it. That's completely irrelevant to my question, though, which was about Norway, in direct response to the allegation that they have also done it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

hognef wrote: »
    When exactly did Norway not play friendly games, playing the system to get better qualifying groups?

ok saying never was a bit much should have said less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The row has been resolved. Denmark's senior team will take on Wales.

• Advertisement

ok saying never was a bit much should have said less

When did that happen so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

I think we could have done with picking some futsal players tonight.

I think we could have done with picking some futsal players tonight.

any of these lads have Irish grannies?

cant do any worse than our lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

What happened to playing for pride. Should put out the fusball and Div3 players again.

Advertisement