Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due in May 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Got both last time I was pregnant, got flu vaccine on Thursday and will get whooping cough vaccine after 16 weeks. Both extremely important imo

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭anndub

Will be getting both like on my last pregnancy. My older brother picked up Whooping cough as a two week old in the 70s. He was seriously ill for 6 weeks and it was a miracle he survived according to my mothers account.

I think gp's are having to be a lot more pushy these days with the antivaxx movement growing legs thanks to social media. I know when I've brought my daughter for gp visits it's always asked in a slightly suspicious/confrontational manner whether her vaccines are up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I always get the flu vaccine anyway so will defo get that. Didn’t when I went down to my gp first as they didn’t have their stock yet. GP was saying to me that pregnant women are the most high risk group, moreso than the elderly, as we’re technically immune-suppressed. Same with whooping cough - the stories my mam has of all of us having that is enough to convince me.

Got the chicken pox vaccine last year too. My body doesn’t seem to hold immunity so I’m curious about my blood tests to see has the vaccine held.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mollieor

Thanks girls, makes me feel sure about getting it now to hear all yer experiences

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

GPs are definitely pushing the flu vaccine now - they weren't so much on my first two (2014 & 2016) but this time round she was fairly adamant that I needed to get it.
    I suppose it's been around a few years now so there is more experience as to how it works and how it can help.And so many people were hit really hard by a bad dose of flu in Dec/Jan that I was very glad I got it.
    There have been whooping cough outbreaks, so maybe that's why your GP was pushy too.

• Advertisement

I've woken up feeling extremely nauseous this morning. Trying not to make an sudden movements as I'm not far from throwing up. Really disappointed. The nausea had settled to a lowish, steady level for the last 2 weeks and I was becoming optimistic that it wouldn't hit me as hard this time.

Not sure how I'm going to manage work today. The dread is not helping the nausea!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Zecora

Hope you got through the day ok anndub. I really don't enjoy this stage and am looking forward to the next phase. Although the medication I'm on has definitely helped me a lot. I am absolutely knackered though. Going to bed the minute my little girl is settled.

Zecora wrote: »
    Hope you got through the day ok anndub. I really don't enjoy this stage and am looking forward to the next phase. Although the medication I'm on has definitely helped me a lot. I am absolutely knackered though. Going to bed the minute my little girl is settled.

Lasted 15 minutes in work before having to go home again and spent the day becoming familiar with the toilet bowl. Wasn't able to spend anytime with my daughter this evening so feeling guilty about that too.

Hate this bit too and really struggling with the idea of having to put up with this for the next couple of months.

I completely agree, I’m miserable :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I’m with ye on the miserable... trying to parent with this level of misery is just horrendous. I’m stupidly out of breath on top of the sickness and although the tablets are helping I’m beyond tired I’m falling asleep all the time and I can’t work at the moment.

And a really good friend is getting married in 10 days and I just don’t know how I’ll get through the day.

• Advertisement

Oh ladies I really hope you get some relief soon and the sickness passes soon. It's so hard to be so sick and having to function as a human being is incredibly difficult especially if you don't want to tell people the real reason you're sick.

Ladies hope you all feel a bit better at least soon. I've been doing ok but had a fair bit of driving yesterday and today and today I'm not feeling great. Looking forward to getting home and just resting. Have a work trip next week which I'm somewhat dreading as the colleague I'll be there with doesn't know about my pregnancy yet (my boss and 2 other colleagues do) so will be effort to hide it and put on a mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Quite the muddle trying to decide on Private versus Semi-Private versus Public and the things which naturally flow from those kinds of decisions!

I Went semi private the last.

Before the baby is born I really valued the continuity of care and as I needed antiemetics throughout, it was great being able to call up whenever I needed a repeat prescriptions and have it out in the post straight away.

The semi private ward was noisy, very cramped and probably not much different than being in a public ward as I've heard theyre often not full. I got very little rest. I considered domino this time to get home quicker but was hesitant to give up the easy access to medication just in case so I've gone private in the hopes of getting a private room (and a placid baby) and hopefully some rest before returning home to the boisterous toddler!

In going public this time. I wanted to do the domino scheme but don't live in the catchment area. I was semi private last time. I had a fairly straightforward pregnancy so not sure how much of a benefit it was although I liked having a scan at every appointment. Not sure if you get that in the public system. I did, however, manage to end up in a 2 bed room. That was great. Don't think I'll get that this time somehow!

Yea, we went Public for Number one, and really wanted Domino scheme too. But had a rake of complications, and for the Domino things have to be pretty smooth and perfect [for obvious reasons!]..

Public was totally fine, the waits for appointments were pretty epic at times. But the staff and service were amazing. Wife had to spend a while in the hospital before birth, and it was an 8 person ward. So was just busy, and its....a hospital. So someone in the room is always [one or more of] sick, or in pain, or has a visit, or is on phone and so on. So sleep was hard :)

Think we are going semi-private this time after much chat :)

It's my first so I'm going semi-private as it seemed a good middle of the road option. I know people who've gone public and had a great experience. Don't know anyone who's gone fully private. When I was chatting to my doctor, she said she recommends semi-private for first child usually and would rarely recommend private for someone. She said she did it for her own and for a standard, generally problem free pregnancy, she didn't see the worth of it.

We’re going private again, had a great experience last time so fingers crossed for the same again

I started to spot late last week so I'm not feeling too hopeful this baba is going to stick around. I was scanned and everything looked fine but I was measuring behind what I expected to be so I'm thinking things may have stopped developing.

I'm back in tomorrow for another scan to see has the baby grown. Still feeling nauseous, tired and all the rest of it but it's manifesting much the same to my last loss so I've prepared myself for bad news.

Hope you all are doing well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I’m sorry to hear that Anndub. I’ve had 3 miscarriages, 2 since July and it takes its toll. I hope you’re wrong, and scan shows baby is ok x but sometimes you just know these things unfortunately.

I’ve a scan tomorrow too, to make sure baby is still hanging on in there. I hope so because I’m so beyond miserable.... I’m not sure I can do this ever again.

• Advertisement

Early scan this morning and everything looks good. Scan measures spot on as to the duration we are at. So number 2 due to the very end of May.

I have not told a soul. I am super wary as we are both over 40 & I have heard so many stories [as parents of a toddler, you hear all manner of good and bad baby/pregnancy/miscarriage stories on playdates and in playgrounds!!].

So want to tell the world, but won't for now :) [...maybe walk up to some strangers in a cafe or pub and talk to them about it :D:D]

anndub - I hope you're ok and that everything is fine. And to both you & cyning - I honestly think you're amazing. It must be so difficult to go through & I can't imagine it.

tHE vAGGABOND - congrats! I'm similar in that I want to tell everyone but have said we'd wait until after the first scan.

To be honest, I'm really worried the past few days. No reason to be at all and no signs of anything wrong but maybe it's just gone into the back of my head. I had been so excited about the first scan next Monday but the closer it gets the more worried I'm getting that it won't be ok. I think maybe I'm just over thinking and projecting stories from others (who don't know I'm pregnant). I'm trying to just tell myself that there's no signs of problems, everything is as it was and it's just my brain doing its usual thing of overthinking and going to the worst case scenario (which I have a tendency to do with everything).

We had our first scan yesterday at 8 weeks - all looks good and dates seem fine. I’m still nervous though... I think last time Inwasnso naive and innocent where this time round I’m so much more aware of baby loss in general that I don’t know how I’ll relax

...last time I was so naive and innocent where this time around I’m so much more aware of baby loss in general that I don’t know how I’ll relax
    Totally, we are the same..

As my mum would have said growing up, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

We had our 12 week scan today. All good according to the Dr. 2 legs, 2 arms, 1 head, 1 heartbeat. I've been buzzing all day, my wife too. It's totally surreal to see the baby moving on the ultrasound. It's really real now

Bad news today I'm afraid so I'll bow out now.

Best of luck to you all going forward

anndub wrote: »

I am so so sorry anndub.

So sorry to hear your news anndub. Take care of yourself.

Oh I’m so sorry

• Advertisement

that is terrible, so sorry to hear it :(

Advertisement