Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due in May 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I’ve caught the 3yo’s cold - I really hate having a cold when pregnant as can’t take any of the good stuff :(

Back to hospital on Friday - between regular appointments and anomaly scan/repeat anomaly scans I’ve been once a week now for the past 5 weeks! My consultant appointments are down to every 3 weeks now - starting to feel close!

In terms of changing we always went and used the changer in baby’s room... I just don’t like changing nappies on mat or couch etc... prefer having everything to hand and at a nice height or it hurt my back. It didn’t seem like such a big deal to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I had my changing unit down stairs and no way I’d have it upstairs. Realistically you spend way more time down stairs, and the last think I wanted to do every time I changed a nappy (and I mean like 10 times a day at the start!) was walking upstairs: esp in the first few weeks if you have stitches etc. And then you are bringing dirty nappies downstairs with the baby etc... I rarely changed a nappy upstairs even though had a changing mat on chest of drawers.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

cyning wrote: »
    I had my changing unit down stairs and no way I’d have it upstairs. Realistically you spend way more time down stairs, and the last think I wanted to do every time I changed a nappy (and I mean like 10 times a day at the start!) was walking upstairs: esp in the first few weeks if you have stitches etc. And then you are bringing dirty nappies downstairs with the baby etc... I rarely changed a nappy upstairs even though had a changing mat on chest of drawers.

All of this ^^^^

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

One of the babas was almost 10’pounds.... didn’t put the fear of god in me at all!

My third (8 months old) was 10lb6 cyning:D:D I'm still here to tell the tale. Ignorance is bliss, I just went in and had him. Straightforward birth, minimal damage (less than on my other two smaller babies:rolleyes:) - thank god for fantastic midwives. I was fairly stunned afterwards when the midwife told me his weight though, we hadn't a clue!!!

Re: the changing table, if it's your second, you end up with changing "stations" of some sort both up and down stairs, especially if your first is still small. If it's your first - we found the table upstairs handy for morning and bedtime/after bathtime and the like - and also for the poonamis when you had to strip them down and stick them in the shower/bath!! But you do end up with something for changing downstairs too for a while, especially if you have a C-section.

My bigger baby was the easier recovery but still you sort of get that oh my god moment when you hear it!

And like 10lb 6oz! Wow!

• Advertisement

A week before my baby was born she was measuring over 10lb on scan... almost sounded petite when she was born at 9lb but still looked massive beside a 7lber :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sillysuz

Hi all just wondering is anyone affected by strike with appointments, were you contacted to reschudele? My next apt is the 12th of Feb in Holles st, strike day then too

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Nobody ever mentioned weight to me during my pregnancies, and honestly I was happier with that.You don't want it in your head when you are going in.That being said, it's a good thing he was my third!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Regards to changing tables with my first I had the changing table upstairs and always went up there to change nappies. When second was born I didn't want to leave my 2 year old or drag him upstairs every time so I had a cot in the living area and it had a changing bit at the top. I'd imagine I'll be doing something similar for this baby.

I don't pay any attention to baby weights before it's born. Anyone I know who were told what weight is before baby was born were always completely wrong and all it did was cause unnecessary worry and in one case an unnecessary induction. My consultant always says there's only one way to weigh the baby and that is to weigh the baby!

There was almost a pound in the difference between my first and second and I honestly didn't notice any difference while in labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Thanks everyone for the advice on changing tables. Tempted to get the €25 one from Ikea for downstairs (it's just wooden so looks ok).

As for the weight thing - as long as the docs/midwives think the baby is an ok weight for development age, I'm good with that. Like when at the consultant app she said that baby was measuring to be about 14oz which was bang on expected for number of weeks.

sillysuz - I just had a look at all the dates and none of them are affecting me. I've fingers crossed they don't strike on the 21st Feb as I've all my hospital apps that day (glucose test, anti-d injection & consultant app). I'd say for the ones that are a bit further out, they're waiting before rescheduling as they might still not go ahead with strike action on those dates (depending on what happens). They only cancelled the 30th Jan ones a couple of days ago.

• Advertisement

I’ve appt in morn with the physio in hosp for spd they only rang yesterday. None of dates affecting me so far anyway.

I’m super logical about most things but still hearing about big babies makes me take a very deep breath: I do realize I have zero control over that though... and it was my smaller baby that left me needing months of physio!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Nearly missed saying hello to our little one on the scan this morning when I got a call from nature. I knew it was going to happen the minute I left my seat. The consultant was cool though and waited.
    We're looking at nursery chairs at the moment - this one https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/baby/baby-bedroom/nursing-chairs/babylo-milan-glider-chair-and-footstool-white-grey/p/162885?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-c_iBRChARIsAGCOpB2XTVm1VQHzXq3poC5zsWqBdgRlXkpY2SPf_8Iu4DlTQKC0Isisj1EaAifFEALw_wcB

Yay or nay?

evil_seed - that's good that the consultant waited.

I'm not convinced by the glider chairs. I know a couple of people who said they were great but I just worry about the future and little fingers getting caught! I've also got friends who've had to remove the footstool part now they're little one is mobile as he keeps trying to sit on it and falling off as it glides away.

I've this chair from Ikea: https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/sofas-armchairs/armchairs/po%C3%A4ng-armchair-birch-veneer-gr%C3%A4sbo-pink-spr-59149971/ anyway and I might just use that in the baby's room (will potentially change the cover on it to a less girly one if we have a boy). I've the matching footstool too and it's very comfy chair with good back support.

They also have a rocking version (https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/sofas-armchairs/armchairs/po%C3%A4ng-rocking-chair-birch-veneer-hillared-dark-blue-spr-99201052/).

I think the gliding chairs are probably a bit of a gimmick too tbh, we just had a bucket chair in baby’s room, which is still in there now as 3 year old sits on our lap while we do her bedtime stories

Cyning, don't worry.Sure they were literally telling me on the very last day before I went into labour, a 7-8lb baby.My first two were 7 & 8 lbs.It is a very inexact science and honestly unless the baby is well outside normal parameters (too small/way too big), they would be better off saying nothing, to my mind.If you don't know, you just go in and have it, whatever way it turns out amd you don't have it playing in your mind.Healthy baby was all I could think of during labour, last thing in my head was size.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Big babies and particularly big heads increase my risk of needing physio post baba again so I’d rather avoid that. I know I have like zero control over it though and give me a natural birth over possibly needing a section any day (I keloid scar).

I really must think about starting to buy a few bits for hosp bag etc... and the stuff I need to buy like a breast pump.... feb and March iare mental with stuff on with my 2 girls the weeks are starting to creep by.

How’s everyone doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mollieor

25 weeks today, feel I'm enjoying the pregnancy the last 2 weeks. Had a scan Thursday baby is 1lb 10oz at the moment, not sure how accurate it is.
    Any recommendations on breast bumps?

I ordered the Haaka breast pump from earthmother on Friday. I've never used it before but lots of people recommended it. I had a medella swing but the motor seems to be gone. Didn't have must joy pumping for my last little boy. He never really took to a bottle though either. We'll see what happens this time.

I haven’t used the Hakaa but I can’t imagine it will work for me: I have a crap let down so I never get that rush of milk or leaking, and pumping isn’t easy. I’m thinking the Ardo Calypso double pump: I’ll be pumping in work this time round, and so I want a double.
    M

• Advertisement

25 weeks and pelvis is starting to go already... exact same point as last pregnancy. I ended up really bad last time couldn’t even dress myself so dreading this with a child to look after

Was with the consultant this morning and it's starting to feel very real now!!!

Hi all. :)

Nead21 - started to feel really real to me last weekend when we properly started setting up the baby's room.

angeldelight - oh no! Hopefully it's not as bad this time!

I feel quite lucky that I've had a fairly easy and straightforward pregnancy. It's actually at a point where I feel a little guilt but what I don't get is other people's attitude to this. When I'm asked how I am and I respond honestly that I'm really well for the most part and lucky with that, I'm often met with responses of "oh wait until x,y,z hits". Sometimes it's fine but other times it's like they're wishing these on me which isn't very nice! I'm not being braggy when I say I'm doing well and I'm careful around friends of mine who are also pregnant but having a horribly difficult time of it (2 in particular) in that I'll play down my stuff and be mindful that they don't want to hear I'm grand. But this is predominately coming from people who aren't pregnant currently. One in particular seems annoyed that I can sleep, that my ankles haven't exploded and that I haven't gotten heartburn (thank god as that's the one I don't think I could deal with) and it's somewhat upsetting me. Sorry for the mini-rant.

Angeldelight I’ve been in with the physio quite a few times at this stage: I never had an issue before but have been having pain since about 14 weeks. Hope it doesn’t get too bad.

With girl I find myself getting frustrated the other way people saying oh it will start improving now or that I should drink more water: if life was that easy! With pregnancy and kids everyone had an opinion on everything : it drives me cuckoo. It’s desperately insensitive too because seriously I wouldn’t wish pregnancy symptoms on my worst enemy :D so I hope you get no symptoms and I’ll just be secretly jealous ;)

With girl I find myself getting frustrated the other way people saying oh it will start improving now or that I should drink more water: if life was that easy! With pregnancy and kids everyone had an opinion on everything : it drives me cuckoo. It’s desperately insensitive too because seriously I wouldn’t wish pregnancy symptoms on my worst enemy :D so I hope you get no symptoms and I’ll just be secretly jealous ;)

God that must be as annoying. Coz yes you maybe haven't tried that already! Thanks for that lol. I do feel incredibly lucky not to have had it too bad at all. And I hope all your symptoms ease up a bit at least to give you some relief. :)

I was holding a newborn today... ah the newborn smell (the nice one lol!) and the nuzzling into me (and my boobs) and grizzling and grousing.... so lovely and well needed! Also Tk maxx have adorable baby bits I was nosing today while buying said baba a present. They have like the babygrow pants which I love when they are small during summer with matching vests: so handy when it’s hot out. And lovely bright neutral bits aswel.

I was holding a newborn today... ah the newborn smell (the nice one lol!) and the nuzzling into me (and my boobs) and grizzling and grousing.... so lovely and well needed! Also Tk maxx have adorable baby bits I was nosing today while buying said baba a present. They have like the babygrow pants which I love when they are small during summer with matching vests: so handy when it’s hot out. And lovely bright neutral bits aswel.

Oh Cyning, H&M have those at the moment.I have badly needed them on all my summer babies and it took me til after no.2 came to realise that H&M stock them-they are so useful!!!

Oh I must look at h&m ones too... they are the handiest for the summer! I have July and March already and they are fantastic... and look so sweet too!

And no over the head baby grows! I’ve learned my lesson finally by baby 3!

Also braxton hicks have me killed. It’s because I have muscles pulled in my side but crap they suck.

What are the baby grow pants? Are they like the little joggers or the ones with feet? Looking on H&M online at the moment & they have the most adorable things. Buying a few bits as realised I probably don't have enough.

Glucose test today and consultant visit. Baby was very active and did not like the gel going on my belly. Properly kicked causing the scanner to bounce a little lol! Doctor was happy with that. Waiting to see if my phone rings from the glucose test - fingers crossed that it doesn't. Also got my anti-d injection which is now hurting like hell but they warned me of that.

Hope everyone is feeling ok. x

• Advertisement

They’re the little trousers with feet attached - super handy as keeping socks on is tricky

Fingers crossed you don’t get a call... I’ve mine next week not looking forward to it but sure has to be done! Glad all is going well :)

Nothing to report here just feels simultaneously like there’s still ages to go and like it’s really not that long at all

Advertisement