Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due in May 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Might see how I go and send himself home for an extra pillow if needs be :) Thanks all!

Oh hope the leg splints work cyning.

Had my GD class today so we'll see how that goes. The diet doesn't seem to be too bad. And for once my lactose intolerance comes in handy as the unsweetened soya/nut milks don't count towards your carb intake (which is what you're measuring most) so can have as much of them as I like! Means I can do a double portion of porridge in the morning which ends up being the same portion size I'd have anyway. Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Thanks for the advice on the hospital bag. We made a list based on some ideas here and multiple lists online.

Is anyone doing a sweepstake for this? Is there a simple one I could find online?

In pregnancy news my wife is getting all sorts of uncomfortable now. The kicks are getting (for want of a better word) violent. Cramping has started in her calves too. So I'm literally very hands on in terms of support now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

witchgirl how are you getting on with the diet now you're a few days in?

It's starting to feel like there's actually a baby going to be on the scene soon :pac: really need to get things a bit more organised

evil_seed wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice on the hospital bag. We made a list based on some ideas here and multiple lists online.

Is anyone doing a sweepstake for this? Is there a simple one I could find online?

In pregnancy news my wife is getting all sorts of uncomfortable now. The kicks are getting (for want of a better word) violent. Cramping has started in her calves too. So I'm literally very hands on in terms of support now.

Ah you're very good to be doing that. If you're using an oil for massage, add a couple of drops of neroli to it - helps relax but not too much and is perfectly fine to use in both pregnancy and labour. I've a bottle of homemade massage oil made up for my labour bag with it. The joys of a mam who's a retired nurse, midwife, massage and aromatherapist!
    witchgirl how are you getting on with the diet now you're a few days in?

It's starting to feel like there's actually a baby going to be on the scene soon :pac: really need to get things a bit more organised

Getting on ok - some days better than others. Still learning what causes my spikes. Turns out basmati (even though it's listed as ok) sends me through the roof so that's gone. Luckily I love Ryvita and they're perfect to go with things.

Oh I know the way. I washed and folded all the clothes at the weekend so feel like that's something accomplished at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Destiny_wales

Hi guys, living in the UK. Never heard of a GD test, no one's mentioned it. Had bloods at 28 week appointment but that was a FBC (purple bottle), anti-D test and a sample to keep incase I need a blood transfusion on the big day (both pink bottles). Anyone remember what colour bottle the GD was? Does everyone have this test with ye?
    Also you all seem to have lots of scans...again is that normal for everyone? We only have 2...one at 12 weeks the other at 20? No scans after that. Midwife led.

Also any tips on buying a changing bag, got my pram sorted but not sure if there's any special tips on what features a changing bag should have?
    Hope you're all doing well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Number of scans depends on which hospital you are attending and whether you are a public or private patient. Also depends on whether pregnancy is considered high risk.

This is my 3rd baby and I've never had a GD test. Not everyone gets it....not sure of the factors whereby you are referred for one.

I have a Pack a Pod changing bag. It's big which I liked and also looks like a handbag. I got sick of carrying a separate handbag and changing bag. Also I had 2 year old when my youngest was born so it fitted his stuff in it too. Totally depends on personal preference though. A few of my friends didn't bother with a changing bag at all just bought a separate changing mat and used a handbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Nead21 wrote:
    This is my 3rd baby and I've never had a GD test. Not everyone gets it....not sure of the factors whereby you are referred for one.

It depends on if you tick any boxes in the risk categories (think they are weight, age and family history), or if your hospital does it as standard. The one I'm going to do it as standard for every patient as they reckon 5-10% of women that don't fall into any of the risk categories can have it.

As for what vial it would be in, it's not just a single blood draw you get as normal. You would know you are getting it in advance as you need to fast for 8-9hrs before hand, get a fasting blood draw, drink a specific glucose drink (which you need to bring with you) and then more blood draws 1 & 2 hrs after you take the glucose, they have the results that evening and will ring you the same day if you have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

The GTT for me is because my dad is a type 1 diabetic. I went in had blood taken after 12 hours fasting from everything including water, then a glucose drink they gave me then blood 1 hour after taking it, and another hour after that.

I’m in high risk clinic too hence more scans otherwise it would be 12 and 20 weeks.

Get a changing bag you like the look of with a bit of space in it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Rotunda don't do GD test as standard, you need to tick boxes fo risk.Some Irish hospitals seem to be doing it as standard now.(though ironically they won't all do the same scans as standard....go figure).Scans depend on where you are but I think midwife-led schemes here have less scans too.The UK approach is quite different.

Skip Hop Duo bag.Covers three kids.Very much personal choice.

Not everyone has the GD test in the hospital I'm in. Risk factors are assessed. Weight, age, previous history of GD, family history of diabetes are the main ones. My dad was hypoglycemic so that put me straight in for the test. There's a long test (fasting bloods, 1 hour after the drink & 2 hours after the drink) but also a shortened one that's just the first 2. My sister's hospital did the shorter one for everyone and only sent for the other depending on results.

My hospital does a scan at 12 weeks & 20 weeks as standard for everyone. If you have GD, you'll have an additional scan at about 36 weeks. I'm combined care (consultant & own GP) so lucky in the sense that my consultant will generally do a quick scan when I see them. Also my GP happens to be fully trained in scanning and has a small machine so will also do one every visit with them.

I have a PacaPod bought (got it in the sale) but not fully convinced by it. Don't get me wrong - I think the features are great but for me, the model I got seems a bit big & himself hates the design! Glad didn't pay full price for it but it's a start & we're just going to keep an eye for something we do really like.

• Advertisement

Scan wise, the booking scan, AFAIK is the only standard scan you have in the hospital I'm going to. I did have the quickest scan in history at the 28 week appt. I happened to have the consultant that day, so i don't know if it's just something he does or not, or if it's a new thing. I didn't have it with my first, even the day I was in with the consultant. But he didn't show me the screen and only checked baby was measuring correctly.

With my first the 20 week scan wasn't even mention to us. This time it was, but only to recommend i go privately for it and report back to them. They wouldn't do it in the hospital because I didn't tick any of their risk categories.

On my first I actually had 3 scans, two in the clinic and one in the FAU, in the last couple of weeks because I looked huge, and at that stage baby was measuring big (for me). This time I have a booked scan this week in the FAU to measure fetal size to help make a decision between VBAC or ECS. I doubt I'll have anymore, unless they let me go VBAC and I start looking too big again.

I’ve had loads of scans but that’s partly as I’m private so consultant scans me every time I see her... was once every 4 weeks now I’m back every two weeks. Also when I had my anomaly scan they couldn’t see the heart properly so I had to go back an additional three times for them to get all the views!

I’ve gone for a backpack style changing bag this time as I’ll have four year old to hold onto when we’re out and the over the shoulder ones can be a pain I found. I got a great deal on a Tiba + Marl one a few months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Destiny_wales

Thanks guys!! You've all been really helpful! I feel much better with the care over here now! They don't push private over here...basically as if anything gets complicated you get blue lighted to an NHS ward anyway and touch wood I've been told it's an uncomplicated pregnancy.. was so concerned seeing all you guys have these tests and worried I should be.
    Also thanks for the advice on the bags! I'll have a Google of the brands you've recommended. X

Re bags, do you have any idea yet whether you plan on primarily using a buggy or baby wearing? I found that there's a lot more stuff to think about if you baby wear.

I wore my first most of the time from 7mths old and plan on wearing this one from the get go. I was very fussy about what style of bag I ended up getting to make it the most comfy with a SSC. For me, it needed to be big enough to hold all the essentials, but slimline (no bulky front pockets etc) to sit snuggly under the carrier around my bum, If that make sense. The straps needed to be long and thin (car seatbelt style is the best I found) to sit under the SSC straps, but also wide enough to not dig into my shoulders. I also used mine as handbag, mainly to hold my card holder, phone and key's so a decent side pocket was essential and one i could reach while the bag was on, I wore the bag on my side/hip and under the SSC straps, so you don't want to be needing to take the carrier off to get to stuff including an emergency wipe! Unfortunately I can't remember the brand I ended up getting, but it was from TKmax.

30 weeks! Only 10 to go :) I’m puking, on crutches, in pain, have swelling in my ankles, I have a baby who seems to think my ribs are for kicking but 10 more weeks and I never have to be pregnant again! And my baba will be here. 10 weeks is so manageable. I think ;)

cyning wrote: »
    30 weeks! Only 10 to go :) I’m puking, on crutches, in pain, have swelling in my ankles, I have a baby who seems to think my ribs are for kicking but 10 more weeks and I never have to be pregnant again! And my baba will be here. 10 weeks is so manageable. I think ;)

On the single digit countdown here too... 30+1 but having an elective section so at most 9.5 weeks to go! I’m very impatient this time round!!

Fingers crossed the next few weeks go quickly for everyone but doubly crossed for you cyning... you’ve had it so rough!

I’m hoping for an induction at 38 weeks. I’ve had enough, I want a plan! I need to be induced at 40 anyway, and considering 40 is a Friday it would be the Tues or Wed they would do it. So a week before that. After 2 unfavourable inductions I know the story and would be totally happy to go at that stage.

To be fair I know I’m very lucky too babs is fine, I’m coping much better than with the hyperemesis than with the first, I can still drive and work (just about on the work front in fairness), and the 2 girls seem to understand that even though it’s the baby that makes me sick it’s not it’s fault :)

On the plus side I have gorgeous babygrows got, with some bright colours, some black and white and mustard with matching hats etc (not that the hats are likely to fit my babies have big heads!!), and I have half a cardi knitted!

Another week down! Ended up in the Coombe this evening for a check - baby had been very quiet since yesterday. Usually I get loads of big movements in the evening but didn’t get any yesterday then quiet most of today. Of course when I went in she kicked up a song and dance and made a show of me haha. All good anyway, frustrating though as am home a few hours and quiet again now!

Babas are a nightmare for doing that: you are always better to get it checked out though.

Has anyone done a birth plan? I’ve never done one but feel the need this time and just not entirely sure what to put in except no pethidine, delayed cord clamping if possible. I don’t want a million internal checks or to have to labour on my back... obviously I know things can change etc and that’s fine too. My second birth was super easy and hoping to replicate that though :D

All good today thankfully tap dancing away so hopefully that’s it back to normal now! Midwife and doctor were very adamant to always get checked... admin person checking me in “ah it’s probably just running out of space - did you try a cold drink? I’m sure it’s notning”

Oh ok then I won’t go see the medical professionals since you’ve given me the all clear 🙄

I didn’t do a birth plan/preferences but AIMS have a template

http://aimsireland.ie/birth-preferences-template/

• Advertisement

Great thank you.... I had a bit of a difficult first birth and I think experience could have avoided a lot of it. And after my second they kept trying to take her to the unofficial nursery with the other babies.... I just want my baby with me and to labour as much as Is possible and practicable without being attached to wires or having unnecessary internals. And I think unless I write it down it will just be ignored. But I know it’s just preferences and while I don’t want an epidural now I may be screaming for it in 9 weeks time :D

No pethidine though. Just no: It makes me crazy!

I’m 99.9% sure I’m going for an elective section this time round... I was induced last time so had a lot of monitoring and ended up with an emergency section anyway. Apparently I’d be a good candidate for VBAC due to getting to 10cm but I just think I’d rather avoid the whole debacle again

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I wrote it down cyning.
    "I would like to progress through pain relief, starting with a tens, then gas and air, and see how it goes.I would prefer to avoid an epidural if possible.
    I would like to be helped to labour and give birth upright."
    Those kind of statements.Keep them wide, acknowledge it depends on how things go.Keep it short too,mine was very brief.
    Two of my three were born while I was in a kneeling position on the bed.It is a very natural way to give birth, really unbelievable.You are in control of what you are feeling and doing (even if it mightn't exactly feel that way!!)My first was a lying down birth, not great.I did have to lie down for a check on the two of them at some point but I don't cope well lying down.When I am upright, I cope fine with gas and air.
    Just think of what you would like and write it down.The Rotunda were really good for helping me with what I wanted, once I was happy enough.

The physio reckons kneeling would be best or if they need to get me on my back to monitor again lying on my side may work either.... My first I had 5 rounds of gel over 3 days and laboured entirely on my back I was in an awful state I would hate to have that again. Second was 1 round of gel.... so look I’m practical out but I find it all depends on who’s looking after you and I’m hoping if it’s written down there will be no confusion! Although I would love just once to go into labour by myself :)

Yes, I did have to kind of gasp out after a check that they needed to help me back up.It's hard on your knees though, especially if your labour is long so if you can stay up and moving longer, that would probably help.Gas and air makes me quite woozy so I knew I had to be on the bed with it!!It works well for me though, thankfully.

I don’t know if it’s a dip in iron all of a sudden or something else going on but since Wednesday the fatigue is incredibly. I could lie in bed all day and still be exhausted >.< 32 weeks today! In with consultant on Monday so going to hint towards being signed off and see what she says... I’m struggling with life right now!

I’m desperately trying to keep going in work as long as possible. There’s not going to be much longer I’m exhausted! Plus the hyper salivation is back and that is horrendous.

How’s everyone getting on?

Oh no sounds gross - my nausea is creeping back too, I’ve had to up my meds again! We’ll be broke as I don’t get sick pay but I don’t care I’m done with work, it’ll still be there when I come back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Last 2 weeks both kids have been sick, then my husband and it finally got me yesterday. Bump is sore from all the coughing fits.

On the upside I started taking iron (not galfer) ad feel much better able to function now. Hospital and labour bag nearly packed now

32 weeks now and really starting to think about the end.

Hope you get signed off from work Angeldelight. I got signed off work early with my second as i was finding everything too hard to manage and felt under huge pressure. I work part-time now so it's different.

• Advertisement

Glad the iron is helping! Haha I only work one day a week but it’s a very full on day on my feet for 10 hours with no lunch break or anything and it leaves me wrecked for days after it

Advertisement