Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Somewhere to park car Sunday night to Friday (student)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭xckjoo

On that basis, parking outside your own house is no different to parking outside someone elses.

How long am I allowed to park outside my own house for without taking a journey?

Do you not have a residents permit at your own house? Non-residents generally have to pay by the hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I actually had to check the NUIG parking rules earlier today so pulled them up again and this is the section of interest to you...
    4.1 Vehicles MUST NOT be left for more than 48 hours except under exceptional circumstances, which must be arranged with Buildings & Estates. Buildings & Estates may arrange for the removal of the vehicles left on campus for more than 48 hours and the vehicle owner will be required to cover
    all costs incurred in the removal and reclamation of the vehicles. The selection of the towing company is at the discretion of Buildings & Estates and the place for reclamation may be off campus.
    The University will not accept any liability in such circumstances, or any associated knock-on costs or impact of this removal. Should the vehicle remain unclaimed for four weeks, it may be destroyed by a suitable contractor and the costs of this destruction/disposal will be passed on to the owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

I could get a student permit for parking on campus for 50 euro for the year, but the NUIG parking office told me they don't recommend people park on campus overnight and that people have been towed for leaving a car in the one spot for "excessively long periods of time".

If you move your car once or twice a week it'll be grand. If you live in Newcastle you could even move it every evening when the place has cleared out a bit.

Personally, I have left my car in the college overnight several times, always without any hassle.

I remember a year or two back, there was an abandoned micra left in front of the quad, on what used to be the tennis courts. It must have been there for 3 months before it eventually got removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭xckjoo

If you move your car once or twice a week it'll be grand. If you live in Newcastle you could even move it every evening when the place has cleared out a bit.

Personally, I have left my car in the college overnight several times, always without any hassle.

I remember a year or two back, there was an abandoned micra left in front of the quad, on what used to be the tennis courts. It must have been there for 3 months before it eventually got removed.

Not sure that's a great example since the car ended up upside down :D
    It was there a good while before things got that far though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭Bugatti

Do you have any friends living in Cuirt na Coiribe? From what I remember they have an underground carpark for residents. You could get a friend to give your reg as their car. You might have to pay for the fob for entering the carpark but I think that's all you'd need to pay.

• Advertisement

What about corrib village? When I was in NUIG the student parking permit entitled you to use some parts of corrib village (it was the overflow carpark really) and as its a student residence I doubt parking overnight would be an issue.
    Peregrinus wrote: »
    On that basis, parking outside your own house is no different to parking outside someone elses.

How long am I allowed to park outside my own house for without taking a journey?
    You've no clear right to do so at all. The road is for journeys, not storage. But the guards are unlikely to take any action if your neighbours don't complain about the car, and your neighbours are unlikely to complain if they know it to be your car.

It's a different matter if you park your car in a neighbourhood where nobody recognises it, and leave it there for days on end. Especially if parking is at a premium in the area or, obviously, if you park in a way that cause someone some inconvenience or annoyance, before long somebody will report your car to the guards, and when the guards observe that it's registered to an address miles away they may treat it as abandoned. (If it's registered to a local address they'll call round and suggest you move it.)

This is totally incorrect. A road where parking is allowed is just as much for parking as driving once you are correctly parked and if there are no parking restrictions the a resident has no more right to park there than someone from the other end of the country. The guards have no power whatsoever to ask a person to move the car once parked correctly and taxed, insured ans nct'd.

Btw I'm not saying it's not a nuisance for residents in busy area's etc but no point I'm spreading incorrect info either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,624 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This is totally incorrect. A road where parking is allowed is just as much for parking as driving once you are correctly parked and if there are no parking restrictions the a resident has no more right to park there than someone from the other end of the country. The guards have no power whatsoever to ask a person to move the car once parked correctly and taxed, insured ans nct'd.

Btw I'm not saying it's not a nuisance for residents in busy area's etc but no point I'm spreading incorrect info either.
    No. On a road where parking is allowed (under the Road Traffic Regulations), it's not an offence to park; you can't be prosecuted or fined.

But that just means it's not a crime. It doesn't follow that you have a right to park there. The only rights the public have in the public roadway are a right of passage (i.e. the right to go back and forth) and, some authorities suggest, an incidental right of recreation - you can stop and chat to people, you can read a book, you can go jogging, you can take up a charity collection or hand out leaflets, that kind of thing.

But you don't have a right to park. Parking is just storing your property while you're not using it, and there has never been a right of storage in the public highway. In practice, if nobody objects, you're fine. But, even in a spot where parking is not forbidden by the RT Regulations, if you park in a way that interferes with the rights that others have in the roadway then what you doing is a trespass (against the owner of the land on which the road runs) or a nuisance (against the public) or both, and there are various legal remedies available, including in some cases a right of abatement (i.e. people can move your car).

No. On a road where parking is allowed (under the Road Traffic Regulations), it's not an offence to park; you can't be prosecuted or fined.

But that just means it's not a crime. It doesn't follow that you have a right to park there. The only rights the public have in the public roadway are a right of passage (i.e. the right to go back and forth) and, some authorities suggest, an incidental right of recreation - you can stop and chat to people, you can read a book, you can go jogging, you can take up a charity collection or hand out leaflets, that kind of thing.

But you don't have a right to park. Parking is just storing your property while you're not using it, and there has never been a right of storage in the public highway. In practice, if nobody objects, you're fine. But, even in a spot where parking is not forbidden by the RT Regulations, if you park in a way that interferes with the rights that others have in the roadway then what you doing is a trespass (against the owner of the land on which the road runs) or a nuisance (against the public) or both, and there are various legal remedies available, including in some cases a right of abatement (i.e. people can move your car).

Nobody can object to a legally parked car. Even an abandoned car is close to impossible to get moved (just look at the regular threads on motors from people who can't get them moved) never mind one which moves even semi regularly. A car that is moved once a week and is legally parked will never ever get moved simple as that.

Nobody can object to a legally parked car.
    That depends on your definition of "legally parked"!
    Even an abandoned car is close to impossible to get moved (just look at the regular threads on motors from people who can't get them moved) never mind one which moves even semi regularly. A car that is moved once a week and is legally parked will never ever get moved simple as that.
    In practice you may get away with quite a lot, but that's not the same as having a right to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,055 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

But you don't have a right to park. Parking is just storing your property while you're not using it, and there has never been a right of storage in the public highway. In practice, if nobody objects, you're fine. But, even in a spot where parking is not forbidden by the RT Regulations, .

So on what basis do the council hand out residents parking permits?

• Advertisement

So on what basis do the council hand out residents parking permits?
    There need to be regulations or bye-laws in place identifying a particular area as set aside for permit parking only. The regulations/bye-laws will also have rules about who is entitled to a permit.

On edit: In general, when regulations designate either paid parking bays, or areas for permit parking only, for obvious reasons they will designate areas where parking isn't going to cause a problem. No council is going to paint a parking bay across the gate of your drive, or within a couple of metres of a junction, or where parking would cause a visual obstruction. So if you're parking in an area designated for parking, not only are you not committing a criminal offence, but its also highly likely (unless the council roadmarking team has stuffed up badly) that you are also not causing a nuisance or an obstruction, and the chances of a successful challenge to your right to park there are vanishingly small, barring unusual circumstances.

But of course there are large stretches of roadside where parking is neither forbidden (e.g. by yellow lines) nor explicitly permitted (by parking bays or similar). You're not committing an offence by parking there, but equally you don't have an affirmative right to park there, and either the landowner (which need not be the council) or any member of the public might object that by doing so you are infringing on their rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

There is no doubt that parking as such is a nuisance to residents of said estates and public roads etc, however there is nothing in law that prohibits anyone for parking their car on a public road where there is no parking restrictions, once of course it is properly parked and not causing interference.

Anyway this is all off topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Thanks everyone, I've got a few places now that I can try

Could someone lock this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

Can I suggest it be deleted instead. Suggestions on which residential areas you can "get away with" parking in are about as unfriendly as you can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved from Galway city to NUIG

If you ask where to park in the city you will get local's opinions which generally is "don't block our places/estates". As demonstrated above.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

You could flip this on its head and rent a car every weekend to go wherever it is your single weekly journey takes you. Considering the cost of petrol, tax, insurance and the depreciating cost of the vehicle itself (plus the fact you are having trouble storing it) is it worth it to own a car at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ezrahidaya

Yeah they will take advantage of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭beachhead

For one basis-councils make money on handing out residential parking permits.They don't one bit about the road capacity.Money money money

Advertisement