Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best/cheapest way of taking card payments

Options
  • 04-09-2018 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

Hi

Am looking for suggestions for a good system for taking card payments for an office. The payments would not be too regular. Maybe around 15 per month or so.

Does anyone have a system they would recommend?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭adrianw

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Hi

Am looking for suggestions for a good system for taking card payments for an office. The payments would not be too regular. Maybe around 15 per month or so.

Does anyone have a system they would recommend?

Thanks

Clover seems to be taking over. But sum up also a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Depends on the value more than the volume. 15 €2 payments is obviously very different to 15 €1k payments. Are you willing to sign to 2 or 3 hear contract or want something you can ditch tomorrow if need be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

jimmii wrote:
    Depends on the value more than the volume. 15 €2 payments is obviously very different to 15 €1k payments. Are you willing to sign to 2 or 3 hear contract or want something you can ditch tomorrow if need be?

It could be 5 50e payments and 5 1500 payments a month. A contract would be OK if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Genghis

Are your customers physically on the premises when paying, or is it payment over phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Genghis wrote:
    Are your customers physically on the premises when paying, or is it payment over phone?

Generally they would be on the premises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Genghis

If generally the cardholder is present, then with those sort of volumes your best bet would be a card terminal.

For someone new to cards, often something like SumUp would work well, but on the volume you indicate SumUp would be expensive. So would say look at a card terminal from an acquirer like AIB Merchant Services, BOI Payment Acceptance, Elavon or Worldpay.

I work for one provider if you like to PM me I'm happy to offer any help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm seeing sum up being used more and more. Any trader I've spoken to had said, the lack of monthly fees for machines makes it a no brainer.
    One off fee for machine and a transaction payment. Cheaper than handling cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭brynne

Do you mind if I tag on to this discussion? My requirements are slightly different in that I run an online business, so my online sales are currently handled by PayPal. However, I do have a few local cash customers, and people sometimes call me for advice and expect to be able to order over the phone. I have to refer them back to the site, or send out a PayPal invoice, which seems a bit clunky and off-putting.

Have you any recommendations for a predominantly online trader?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

brynne wrote: »
    Do you mind if I tag on to this discussion? My requirements are slightly different in that I run an online business, so my online sales are currently handled by PayPal. However, I do have a few local cash customers, and people sometimes call me for advice and expect to be able to order over the phone. I have to refer them back to the site, or send out a PayPal invoice, which seems a bit clunky and off-putting.

I would look at stripe. You can add it on your site but it also has a virtual terminal where you could take phone payments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

brynne wrote: »

Look into Braintree Payments. Owned/ partnered by PayPal and handle all major cards plus virtual terminal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭brynne

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Look into Braintree Payments. Owned/ partnered by PayPal and handle all major cards plus virtual terminal.
    Thanks, I'll look into that.

Advertisement