Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus to Ringaskiddy

Options
  • 04-09-2018 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭

Looking at taking a job with Jannsen in Ringaskiddy but concerned that not being able to drive will be a problem. Is there any nearby places that have a bus route going there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=406&form-view-timetables-from=&form-view-timetables-to=&form-view-timetables-route=223&form-view-timetables-submit=1

It looks like the buses will drop you to within 5 minutes walk for 07.42 or 08.42, or to within 10 minutes walk for 06.40 or 07.30.

Your start time will dictate the bus, and the bus may dictate the places to live. You can basically live in town, Douglas rd area (including south douglas road and ballinlough with short walks), Douglas, and *possibly* Rochestown or Passage West.

Douglas road and Douglas areas would be popular spots to live, with multiple bus routes into town. City centre looks doable too if your job pays well enough to live somewhere nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

MrDerp wrote: »
    http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=406&form-view-timetables-from=&form-view-timetables-to=&form-view-timetables-route=223&form-view-timetables-submit=1

It looks like the buses will drop you to within 5 minutes walk for 07.42 or 08.42, or to within 10 minutes walk for 06.40 or 07.30.

Your start time will dictate the bus, and the bus may dictate the places to live. You can basically live in town, Douglas rd area (including south douglas road and ballinlough with short walks), Douglas, and *possibly* Rochestown or Passage West.

Douglas road and Douglas areas would be popular spots to live, with multiple bus routes into town. City centre looks doable too if your job pays well enough to live somewhere nice.

Looks to be nearly an hour from Douglas though?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Gael23 wrote: »
    Looks to be nearly an hour from Douglas though?

The closer bus is about 50 mins from the start of Douglas rd, yeah. But that's a meandering bus that services a lot of rochestown, passage west and Monkstown.
    You wouldn't get it unless you lived in Rochestown, Passage west or Monkstown, it wouldn't be worth the extra time on the bus vs a short walk.

The 07.05 from town, for example, hits the Ringaskiddy village centre for 07.30. That's 1.3 km walk from the front door of Janssen.

The bus route with a 'Janssen' stop isn't at the door, it's still a 750m walk. So you're adding 550m with the faster bus. You're gonna have a trade off between 5 minutes walk and 15+ extra minutes on the bus, but you're getting wet on a rainy day either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Quinners94

Looking at taking a job with Jannsen in Ringaskiddy but concerned that not being able to drive will be a problem. Is there any nearby places that have a bus route going there?

Did you take the job in the end? I’m in the same boat now and I just wanted to know is the bus a viable option to get to work on time?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Quinners94 wrote: »
    Did you take the job in the end? I’m in the same boat now and I just wanted to know is the bus a viable option to get to work on time?

No, the lack of public transport ruled it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Quinners94

No, the lack of public transport ruled it out.

Thanks for the response, I’m hoping the public transport works out for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Quinners94 wrote: »
    Thanks for the response, I’m hoping the public transport works out for me!

It probably won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

223 is my local bus route and it really varies in terms of reliability. During the day it's mostly fine, give or take a few mins, but in the mornings and evenings at peak times it can get caught in traffic in Douglas or along the Rochestown Rd very often, causing sometimes serous delays in excess of 10-20+ mins.

They do have a twice daily 223X service which skips those traffic pinch points for the most part.

Frequency on the route isn't great. Once an hour for the most part, with two hour gaps later in the evenings.

I've written to the NTA and BE for quite some time to get the timetable upgraded and they've promised improvements in the coming months. We'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Mardyke wrote: »
    It probably won't.

??

I am doing some work on the Janssen site at the moment, there are heaps of people using the bus to get there. It is reliable, Just depends where you live. Anyone coming from town seems fine.

Once an hour is fine for work...

Advertisement