Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tons of rubbish left after Electric Picnic

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

It is a great place to score barely used tents. People leave them behind all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Let's call these people what they are.

Scumbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

People buy tents and sleeping bags at a low price.
    They simply can't be bothered packing everything up and having them take up space at home.
    I know at the Indepedience festival some years the local scouts used collect and donate as much of the left overs to charity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We live in a disposable world.

Same hipsters who left these behind will be out campaigning for re-useable coffee cups and less plastic choking dolphins soon.

Hypocrites

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Dirty f*ckers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

EP isn't a "hipster" festival anymore, and hasn't been for a while. It's not dissimilar to how Oxegen ended up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,548 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Should be a camp site deposit of €50, you get it back when your allocated tent spot is clear when you are leaving.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Any cans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Let's call these people what they are.

Scumbags.

Or, kids?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Should be a camp site deposit of €50, you get it back when your allocated tent spot is clear when you are leaving.

Yes, they would throw their rubbish into another spot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Amirani wrote: »
    EP isn't a "hipster" festival anymore, and hasn't been for a while. It's not dissimilar to how Oxegen ended up.

Careful now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Times like this that make you realise that the "leave no trace" policy that Burning Man adopts is a massively underappreciated idea.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Many of these litterbugs genuinely think that they are helping charities by leaving all the camping gear behind. Because charities do take what is worth taking people convince themselves that it's a good thing to leave it all behind. "sure we're helping homeless people" is what they'd tell you

The reality is that very little is salvageable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

People buy tents and sleeping bags at a low price.
    They simply can't be bothered packing everything up and having them take up space at home.
    I know at the Indepedience festival some years the local scouts used collect and donate as much of the left overs to charity.

The scouts went to EP and have said, on radio today, that very little of what was discarded was in any way useable.

It's a deplorable indictment of those who attended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Thought EP was the preserve of tree hugging bearded carbon neutral vegan hipsters.

All festivals become corporate deathburgers. Unless it’s an out n out crustfest in which case
    Dirty f*ckers
    still applies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Rice then moves on to the Jimi Hendrix campsite where he predicts that 30,000 tents were abandoned.

This doesn’t include the Janis Joplin and Andy Warhol sites, which he also filmed.

It is estimated that over 588 tonnes of waste, which includes beer cans, food wrappers, chairs, inflatable mattresses, clothing – including shoes and coats - goes into a landfill/incinerator after the Picnic.
    Jaysus, organisers should be forced to clean it up properly....just a bunch of scumbags from Organisers to ticket buyer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

The scouts went to EP and have said, on radio today, that very little of what was discarded was in any way useable.

But they're the cool kids

They should have spent the whole weekend ridin'.

No time for littering. Even I used to get fanny at festival and I'm a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Many of these litterbugs genuinely think that they are helping charities by leaving all the camping gear behind. Because charities do take what is worth taking people convince themselves that it's a good thing to leave it all behind. "sure we're helping homeless people" is what they'd tell you

I that case, pack the thing up and bring it in to their offices. Or at the very least, leave it at lost property.

• Advertisement

In my day you still pack up the canvas tent and lug it home for another day. No matter how piss sodden it was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

In general though, I've noticed people caring less and less about litter. Usually, I'd mostly see scumbags and children littering. Over the past few months, I've seen a lot of professional adults just casually dropping a chocolate bar wrapper or plastic around cigarette packets on the ground. And O'Connell St, Dublin in the evening is absolutely filthy with litter.

It is one of my big pet peeves, mostly for the "I don't give a sh*t and can do whatever I want" attitude that littering is a symptom of.

I know at the Indepedience festival they spent days after words searching through everything before they sent the bill dozers in.
    They brought things home that were damp/etc or that might have needed a clean and sorted them out.

Sleeper12 wrote: »

If your tent hasnt been covered in used johnny's, fanny juice and stale booze you may as well have brought your slippers and pyjamas with you.

Disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

You're always going to get stuff like that where there's a large group and no fixed facilities. Not really news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

In general though, I've noticed people caring less and less about litter. Usually, I'd mostly see scumbags and children littering. Over the past few months, I've seen a lot of professional adults just casually dropping a chocolate bar wrapper or plastic around cigarette packets on the ground. And O'Connell St, Dublin in the evening is absolutely filthy with litter.

It is one of my big pet peeves, mostly for the "I don't give a sh*t and can do whatever I want" attitude that littering is a symptom of.

Most will also claim "sure aren't we keeping people in jobs, cleaning up after our filth".

Aye, thats right, you feckin numpty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

These same smelly morons will be protesting Trump in November.

EP should be banned next year and every year until the organisers figure out a solution to these limousine leftie layabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Kuva wrote: »
    Jaysus, organisers should be forced to clean it up properly....just a bunch of scumbags from Organisers to ticket buyer.
    I think the people who left the stuff behind are scummier than the organisers in fairness.

As said, it's not an artsy festival anymore - although there's still an element of that, but it's mostly a pop festival for Instagram obsessed duckfaces. Its change of style correlates with this rubbish issue becoming a much bigger problem.

And since when are 18s and over "kids"? They are old enough to drink, drive, work full-time, move away to college, have sex... so they're old enough to take responsibility for themselves and clean up/bring home their stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

There are responsible people at Electric Picnic, the BYEco Camping section is left spotless after the festival. You just have to sign up for a pass and promise to be responsible. It's free and a pleasure to camp there.
    No excuses for anyone else not to behave the same.

https://www.facebook.com/byecocamping/

The eco site on Monday morning 2017:
    38023583_1631341633643596_3750588626547769344_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=842fcf0019e3d6ce57c3a2ff42ee00d0&oe=5C2C1619

The normal campsite Monday 2017:
    37992714_1631341580310268_2872787986594922496_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=496cbd3fabf286597cb8fba5b37a9907&oe=5BF8A1B1

• Advertisement

I actually know people who clean up sited after a festival.
    The issue isn't the big stuff. Pick it up put it in a bin/skip and they've grabbers/gloves/etc.
    The main issue is with glass and bottle tops.

Not entirely innocent myself on one occasion I left behind a veritable landfill’s worth of Patagonia fleeces

I fleeced that shop blind....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭SteM

Irish people are dirty ****ers, simple as that. Just look at the way they leave beaches, beauty spots etc after good weather. We'll justify it any way we can.

SteM wrote: »
    Irish people are dirty ****ers, simple as that. Just look at the way they leave beaches, beauty spots etc after good weather. We'll justify it any way we can.

I was walking down O'Connell st in Dublin yesterday and the state of the street just proves your point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

SteM wrote:

We are, but we are not alone. It is as bad after festivals in the UK. They should weigh you and your gear on the way in and out and fine you if you are going home lighthanded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Pkiernan wrote: »
    These same smelly morons will be protesting Trump in November.

EP should be banned next year and every year until the organisers figure out a solution to these limousine leftie layabouts.

You're like a cartoon or something. Give it a rest, ffs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭pawdee

Snowflakes clean up after themselves? You must be joking. Most of the f****ers wouldn't work to warm themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

pawdee wrote: »
    Snowflakes clean up after themselves? You must be joking. Most of the f****ers wouldn't work to warm themselves.

Who reared these "snowflakes"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

There are responsible people at Electric Picnic, the BYEco Camping section is left spotless after the festival. You just have to sign up for a pass and promise to be responsible. It's free and a pleasure to camp there.
    No excuses for anyone else not to behave the same.

https://www.facebook.com/byecocamping/

The eco site on Monday morning 2017:
    38023583_1631341633643596_3750588626547769344_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=842fcf0019e3d6ce57c3a2ff42ee00d0&oe=5C2C1619

The normal campsite Monday 2017:
    37992714_1631341580310268_2872787986594922496_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=496cbd3fabf286597cb8fba5b37a9907&oe=5BF8A1B1

That's some difference. Years since I was at a festival and can't remember campsites being in that state at the end. But more than likely I was just half asleep and wanting to get home to a shower and a bed.

I think it's a snowball effect. If a number of people just dump their crap anywhere others who may not normally be litterbugs will think "Ah, the place is already in bits" and do the same. Giuliani's "broken window" theory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

We are, but we are not alone. It is as bad after festivals in the UK. They should weigh you and your gear on the way in and out and fine you if you are going home lighthanded.

I like this. Solutions rather than just complaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

The most pressing question is how do we blame the Muslims?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Or, kids?

Goats don’t leave tents and rubbishy behind them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Collie D wrote: »
    That's some difference. Years since I was at a festival and can't remember campsites being in that state at the end. But more than likely I was just half asleep and wanting to get home to a shower and a bed.

I think it's a snowball effect. If a number of people just dump their crap anywhere others who may not normally be litterbugs will think "Ah, the place is already in bits" and do the same. Giuliani's "broken window" theory?

When you wake up freezing cold with the cumulative effects of 4 nights sleeping on the ground, an entire weekend on the beer and living on top of 20,000 other people, the last thing you want to do is pack up your p*ss soaked, filthy tent, clean up your gear and lug it 2 miles back to the car park through muck and sh*te.

That's the reality really. You can argue whatever way you want, but most people don't give a sh*te.
    They should weigh you and your gear on the way in and out and fine you if you are going home lighthanded.
    You'd be a hell of a lot lighter after drinking your two slabs of cans.
    I like this. Solutions rather than just complaining.

The solution is fairly straightforward. When you buy a camping ticket, it includes your tent, a decent size 4 berth tent you can stand up in. The tent is already setup when you arrive. THey're laid out nice and neatly, with easy access to bins and toilet. You get a few bin bags with the tent and throw all your crap into them, and they're collected each morning. If your tent is clean on Monday morning you get part of the fee back.

When you leave, the tents are hosed down and dismantled, ready for next year.

What we have at the moment is a pile of cheap useless tents people don't care about abandoning, and bins that are only accessible through an assault course of tent wires. People will clean up if you give them the means, but if the path of least resistance is dumping, then people will take it.

Or, kids?

Harsh. Kids can be trained to be tidy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Or, kids?

Scumbag kids so. Happy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I was walking down O'Connell st in Dublin yesterday and the state of the street just proves your point.

So because idiots leave rubbish on Irish beaches and rubbish down O’ Connell st it means all Irish people are litter bugs? I must be the odd one out then as I never throw litter anywhere other than in a litter bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    So because idiots leave rubbish on Irish beaches and rubbish down O’ Connell st it means all Irish people are litter bugs? I must be the odd one out then as I never throw litter anywhere other than a litter bin.

Litter is a huge problem in Ireland. It's not a minority causing the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Entitled hipsters love their irony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

When you wake up freezing cold with the cumulative effects of 4 nights sleeping on the ground, an entire weekend on the beer and living on top of 20,000 other people, the last thing you want to do is pack up your p*ss soaked, filthy tent, clean up your gear and lug it 2 miles back to the car park through muck and sh*te.

That's the reality really. You can argue whatever way you want, but most people don't give a sh*te.

You'd be a hell of a lot lighter after drinking your two slabs of cans.

The solution is fairly straightforward. When you buy a camping ticket, it includes your tent, a decent size 4 berth tent you can stand up in. The tent is already setup when you arrive. THey're laid out nice and neatly, with easy access to bins and toilet. You get a few bin bags with the tent and throw all your crap into them, and they're collected each morning. If your tent is clean on Monday morning you get part of the fee back.

When you leave, the tents are hosed down and dismantled, ready for next year.

What we have at the moment is a pile of cheap useless tents people don't care about abandoning, and bins that are only accessible through an assault course of tent wires. People will clean up if you give them the means, but if the path of least resistance is dumping, then people will take it.

In a nutshell, people are lazy and want their rubbish picked up, and their arses wiped and everything done for them by lackeys.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I've gone to festivals in England. Unfortunately the same thing happens there. A large amount of people just don't care for it.

If the sites were properly managed, it would be a lot better. But most of the time it's just people who volunteer for a weekend ticket themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

NIMAN wrote: »
    We live in a disposable world.

Same hipsters who left these behind will be out campaigning for re-useable coffee cups and less plastic choking dolphins soon.

Hypocrites

I doubt anyone who is committed to being environmentally-friendly would leave that kind of rubbish behind. Electric Picnic isn’t really a hipster festival anymore. You don’t really know if the rubbish-leavers are hypocrites or not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement