Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How could my estate go about getting connected to a cabinet across the road?

Options
  • 04-09-2018 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    my estate is around 1.6km from the fibre cabinet that we're connected to so while fibre is technically available in the estate, we can only get around 4Mb download speeds. So, we are using DSL connection instead which gives approx 12Mb. However, there's a cabinet directly across the main road from us which is supplying the estate across the road with speeds of 60Mb and more.
    Is it possible to connect us up to that cabinet instead? I'm sure there are enough of us living here to cover the cost of this ourselves to get a better internet connection, and Eir would most likely get a load of new customers, myself included.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭eir: Sarah

Hi Victor McDade,

Unfortunately this is something that we would be unable to facilitate as each cabinet would be assigned to a particular housing estate or area.

Thanks,

Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Hi Sarah,
    Thanks for the reply. Presumably a new cabinet install for our estate is not an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its historical and won't change. FTTH in 5yrs time. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭eir: Sarah

Hi Sarah,
    Thanks for the reply. Presumably a new cabinet install for our estate is not an option?

I can't say for sure if this would be a possibility or not however if you would like to PM your address I can investigate further.

Thanks,

Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

This is nigh on impossible the only people you could try to contact is open eir planning department. And how they would even go about billing you all collectively is a bit of a paradox.
    Maybe you could set up a broadband cabinet committee to focus your engagement with open eir and send in continual letters and phonecalls stipulating that your estate would like to pay for it you might get some traction. Individually you havn't much recourse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement