Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heathervue/Hillside or Rathdown/Redford

Options
  • 04-09-2018 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭

Greystonians!

Looking to move to Greystones and have picked out these 4 estates as the potentials.

For the H's the pros are obviously the proximity to the dart, village and South Beach but for just a 15 min brisk walk to Rathdown/Redford you can get a lot more house for your money.

Do any of you live in these places and what are your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I don't think Rathdown is that much cheaper than Hillside. All the estates mentioned are fine - well settled with a good mix of people living in them. If you're going to commute by Dart then obviously the closer the better but they're all walking distance to the village or a short cycle (there are pedestrian links connecting Redford and Rathdown to each other and to the rest of the town without having to go the long way around by road).

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Now that they’ve opened the road up to join Bellevue Park with Heathervie and hillside it’s great. Not everyone wanted it but I think it’s for the best. Any specials in Loves supermarket this week?

I jest , all good locations. The closer the better to the centre of the town would be my take on it. Some of the far flung corners of Redford are just that, far flung. I lived there for a while and it’s a good hike to the station etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Yep prices are similar but you definitely get more house for your money at the far end of the dart. Hmm, I wonder is 15 mins a hike. Might be for some but maybe for us it's ok.

Anybody living at the far end from the dart there to give their experience of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Do some research on house prices for the various estates in the property price register. Asking prices are only a rough guide.
    You will see, for example, that house prices in Hillside are higher than Redford. The houses in both estates are quite different. Similarly with Rathdown & Heathervue.

FirstIn wrote: »
    Now that they’ve opened the road up to join Bellevue Park with Heathervie and hillside it’s great. Not everyone wanted it but I think it’s for the best.

Are you referring to Bellevue Rd.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Yes. Many moons ago it was extended. The residents of bellvue Park weren’t happy with it. Their quiet cul de sac became a main through road. Anyhow , it’s all a long time ago now. Someone can tell us how long exactly. I’m guessing 35 years.

Yes. Many moons ago it was extended. The residents of bellvue Park weren’t happy with it. Their quiet cul de sac became a main through road. Anyhow , it’s all a long time ago now. Someone can tell us how long exactly. I’m guessing 35 years.

Can't stop progress!

Wow, had no idea of this! Wonder is it possible to find an old map? If Bellevue Park was on a cul de sac, how were Heathervue and Hillside accessed at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

We live the end of Heathervue closest to the town and it is really really great being so close to the main street / DART etc. We'd be in our cars a lot more if we lived in Redford (I think!).

Though judging by the price a neighbouring house is up for at the moment I can well imagine you getting more bang for your buck elsewhere... not sure what prices are like right now in Redford tho

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Wow, had no idea of this! Wonder is it possible to find an old map? If Bellevue Park was on a cul de sac, how were Heathervue and Hillside accessed at all?

Heathervue & Hillside were originally accessed off the R761 road only. Long time ago now :D
    https://goo.gl/maps/EsCVPavFzwJ2

• Advertisement

We live the end of Heathervue closest to the town and it is really really great being so close to the main street / DART etc. We'd be in our cars a lot more if we lived in Redford (I think!).

Though judging by the price a neighbouring house is up for at the moment I can well imagine you getting more bang for your buck elsewhere... not sure what prices are like right now in Redford tho

How much would it pain you each day to walk an extra 5-10 mins to the dart each day. Is it really worth the enormous money to be relatively close?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

I drive to work (park west, near m50) so Dart not a big factor.

For me, it’s more popping out to shops or restaurants, walking to beach/ playground, walk-ing to school with my kid in the morning before work.

Not sure how much the extra 5-10 minutes walk would pain me - I just know I would recommend Heathervue as a place to live.

It’s several years since we bought and at the time, I don’t think Redford was any cheaper although memory could be playing tricks on me. We def did look at houses there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Edgar_Murl

Bellevue Park (around 30 houses) Hillside (nearly 300 houses) and Heatherview (about 175 houses) are closest to the town. Bellevue Park is an older residential area and is closest to the centre of Greystones and the DART station. Hillside is a very well kept estate with one small and one large green area, so it's a great place to bring up kids. Both Heatherview and Hillside have a mix of different houses which sell between €400k and up to €600k, depending on size and location. IMHO they represent much better value than the newly built estates that are at least 20 - 30 min walk from the centre and are costing close to €500k for smallish houses that are long way from facilities.

Edgar_Murl wrote: »
    Bellevue Park (around 30 houses) Hillside (nearly 300 houses) and Heatherview (about 175 houses) are closest to the town. Bellevue Park is an older residential area and is closest to the centre of Greystones and the DART station. Hillside is a very well kept estate with one small and one large green area, so it's a great place to bring up kids. Both Heatherview and Hillside have a mix of different houses which sell between €400k and up to €600k, depending on size and location. IMHO they represent much better value than the newly built estates that are at least 20 - 30 min walk from the centre and are costing close to €500k for smallish houses that are long way from facilities.

one advantage is that the new houses are mostly A-rated. I live in one of the older estates mentioned and our house has all the energy efficiency of a cardboard box.

Edgar_Murl wrote: »

I believe your numbers are incorrect.

Hillside has under 200 houses while Heathervue has over 200. Bellevue Park about 30.
    I could be wrong of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Edgar_Murl

I think you are correct about the number of houses in Hillside. It is just less than 200.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

loyatemu wrote: »
    one advantage is that the new houses are mostly A-rated. I live in one of the older estates mentioned and our house has all the energy efficiency of a cardboard box.

With the money saved it would be possible to address this and ultimately end up with a larger home.

2011 wrote: »
    With the money saved it would be possible to address this and ultimately end up with a larger home.

Yeah there are things you can do, A rating for a retrofit is probably not realistic but you could get up to a B with external insulation, better heating controls etc.

Is a 4 bed in Hillside or Heathervue that much cheaper than in (say) Sea Green though?

Advertisement