Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flat mate's use of "No Worries"

• 05-09-2018 12:17am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Resverathrole

So there was this fella I was staying with recently who used this phrase in a way that I thought was strange. I once made the mistake of giving this guy a lift home. I saw him walking on the footpath and slowed down to pull over. When I opened the door I said "I was wondering if you'd like a lift?". Although he thanked me, I found it strange that the first words out of his mouth in response to the question were "no worries". It gave me the impression that I was cramping his style.

He used this phrase a few more times while I was there, but on the morning he was moving out of our flat, when we were saying goodbye, when I said "good luck with things", he again replied with "no worries". But this time it immediately followed with a "thanks for that". It was like one extreme to the other. Maybe it took a while for it to register with him what I actually said.

I actually think the phrase "no worries" is more extreme than "no problem" or "not at all". I think I'd only be inclined to use "no worries" if a person was actually acknowledging how they'd inconvenienced me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

So there was this fella I was staying with recently who used this phrase in a way that I thought was strange. I once made the mistake of giving this guy a lift home. I saw him walking on the footpath and slowed down to pull over. When I opened the door I said "I was wondering if you'd like a lift". Although he thanked me, I found it strange that the first words out of his mouth were "no worries". It gave me the impression that I was cramping his style.

The morning this guy was moving out of our flat when we were saying goodbye, when I said "good luck with things", he again replied with "no worries". But this time it immediately followed with a "thanks for that". It was like one extreme to the other. Maybe it took a while for it to register with him what I actually said.

I actually think the phrase "no worries" is more extreme than "no problem" or "not at all". I think I'd only be inclined to use "no worries" if a person was actually acknowledging how they'd inconvenienced me.

Streuth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Worry ye not.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Reading the OP and considering the issues raised has added richness and value to my life, a quality use of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Is he kiwi or auusie?, it's a thing. Like saying 'grand'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

No worries OP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭indioblack

Stress not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Just as well “fair dinkum” didn’t get adopted instead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

It's a wonderful phrase...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It may be that he doesn't even know he says it or that it sounds out of context. It's a bit like people saying "Emmmmmmmmmmmm" out loud when thinking.

I knew someone who use to say "Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera" in ordinary conversation. I mentioned it and he stopped doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,716 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

"No worries" in Australia is used to acknowledge thanks, or to indicate than an apology that has been offered is unnecessary, or that a request is not an imposition. I lend you my bike; you say "thanks!"; I say "no worries!" - meaning, think nothing of it, this is not inconveniencing me in any way.

The person described in the OP seems to be using it as a filler. Unless he does this with everybody, this may indicate that he is nervous around the OP.

OP, do you find you tend to make people nervous? And, if so, is this because of your enormous bulk and threatening demeanour, or because of your compelling aura of panther-like sexuality?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Resverathrole

Victor wrote: »
    It may be that he doesn't even know he says it or that it sounds out of context. It's a bit like people saying "Emmmmmmmmmmmm" out loud when thinking.
    But yet I bet he'd know not to use it to a boss of his! Think about it.

I won't be so quick to give fcekers lifts anymore. I don't pay insurance to end up in awkward situations like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭macwal

Cool story, bro...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

No worries = you’re welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

no-worries-man.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Too easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Hakuna matata

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Its just a habit with him, like some English folk add 'innit' to the end of sentence regardless of what theyre saying.

A friend of mine adds ' so it is' to practically everything he says even when hes not actually stating anything definitively e.g. I was in the shop earlier buying new shirts...so it is'

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    No worries = you’re welcome.
    That's exactly my point. Why would he be telling me I'm welcome if I'm the one giving him the lift?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

I use
    "No issues"

eezipc wrote: »
    Too easy.
    What do you mean too easy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭tara73

good lord, I wonder who's the one with issues here, the OP or the 'no worries guy'....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

OP he's a flaming galah so he is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

What do you mean too easy?

It's another popular saying among Aussies/Kiwis. You tend to either get no worries or too easy. Neither makes any sense so just nod your head and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Little to worry about OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I see you've played Knifey-Spoony before!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭tara73

maybe I'm the one who got it wrong the whole time but isn't a 'no worries' very often simply an even more polite way of saying: no thanks, but I'm fine.

so when somebody offers a lift and the other person says 'no worries', it would mean 'no, but thanks a lot'...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭jiltloop

OP, it sounds like you were lucky to get out of that car alive....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭roper1664

Deleted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭Allinall

So there was this fella I was staying with recently who used this phrase in a way that I thought was strange. I once made the mistake of giving this guy a lift home. I saw him walking on the footpath and slowed down to pull over. When I opened the door I said "I was wondering if you'd like a lift?". Although he thanked me, I found it strange that the first words out of his mouth in response to the question were "no worries". It gave me the impression that I was cramping his style.

He used this phrase a few more times while I was there, but on the morning he was moving out of our flat, when we were saying goodbye, when I said "good luck with things", he again replied with "no worries". But this time it immediately followed with a "thanks for that". It was like one extreme to the other. Maybe it took a while for it to register with him what I actually said.

It’s nearly as annoying as people starting a sentence with “So...”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

"good luck with things" ???

WTF kind of phrase is that? Bet he is really spooked by you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

start calling him kate while aggressively shovelling corn flakes down your gob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

There's a woman that comes into my job and has the most annoying catchphrase. Now the woman is lovely, but Jesus it does my head in.

We'd chat about the weather etc and then she says "ah never say die girl, never say die". It makes no sense and she says it to me every single day.

Lovely weather isn't it?
    Never say die girl.

No worries. It's not really worthy of such detailed analysis, it's just an expression. Annoying as it may be.

Someone in work has a standard response to everything. "Do you want tea, Dan?" "Sure, you only live once". "Are you heading out now, Dan?" "Sure am, you only live once?". "Have you ever danced with the Devil in the pale moonlight, Dan?" "It's on the list, sure you only live once!"

I hope he dies and is reincarnated, I at least want him to be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mrnew

Allinall wrote: »
    It’s nearly as annoying as people starting a sentence with “So...”

Starting it with like is much worse and adding 5 other likes into the sentence just for good measure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Ah sure, lookit, you know yourself...

• Advertisement

This is it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

I'm the same,I use it all the time.its a combination of being laid back and apathetic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Some people just have catch all phrases they rattle off when spoken to. It's like a default mode or something, no need to process what's been said, rattle away your token few meaningless words, move straight on.

I know someone for whom that phrase is "that's it now" and "such is life". I noticed he only uses it when he's feeling socially awkward. He might be chatting away, fully engrossed but if he hears someone elses key in the door or someone approaching he reverts to default mode and out will come "that's it now, such is life". He noticed that when I feel awkward I rub the back of my neck. We all have something.

There's no point analysing. You can be sure "no worries" is not personal or particular to you. It's a rude little behaviour to not listen and respond properly, but it's very common. It might be due to his own awkwardness in situations that come as a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

No worries = You're grand = No bother

tara73 wrote: »
    maybe I'm the one who got it wrong the whole time but isn't a 'no worries' very often simply an even more polite way of saying: no thanks, but I'm fine.

so when somebody offers a lift and the other person says 'no worries', it would mean 'no, but thanks a lot'...
    It sounds as if you got it terribly wrong. Besides he was getting into the car at that point.

• Advertisement

WTF kind of phrase is that?
    Do elaborate

Robsweezie wrote: »
    start calling him kate while aggressively shovelling corn flakes down your gob.
    It was al bran

Some people just have catch all phrases they rattle off when spoken to. It's like a default mode or something, no need to process what's been said, rattle away your token few meaningless words, move straight on.
    Incorrect.

As I already said, I bet this dude wouldn't be half as quick to use this phrase to a boss of his! Think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It was used on Eggheads on BBC 2 this evening, a celebrities edition. Jeremy was commiserating with Clive Myrie for having lost his round. Clive responded No Worries. He could just as easily have said That's OK or That's Alright, but No Worries is equally as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Incorrect.

As I already said, I bet this dude wouldn't be half as quick to use this phrase to a boss of his! Think about it.

Why would expect a housemate to treat you with the deference he'd afford to someone paying his wages?
    At work you can't play default brain and ramble off any old guff that comes into your head without thinking but to an acquaintance or housemate it's pretty much what every second person does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

This is a pisstake of a thread surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,716 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You're in After Hours. They're all pisstakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

have a wan working with us , everything is "no bodders" ...

???????

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

WTF kind of phrase is that?
    What do you mean? I'm waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

What do you mean? I'm waiting.

Sorry, got held up there.

Its just the most bizarre phrase. 'Good luck' in itself is fine. Or appended with some specific reference; 'Good luck with the interview', 'Good luck in your match', etc.
    But 'with things' ??? I mean, what 'things' ? Its just left hanging there. Everything? Well the shorter, simpler 'good luck' covers that more than well. Every one is used to it.
    Did you end up mincing 'good luck' with 'hope things go well' or some other such phrase ?
    Either you will have screwed up his day while he mulls over what the hell you meant by it, or, he will have you pegged as a serious oddball.
    'Good luck with things'. 'with things' ?
    Jesus.

• Advertisement
Advertisement