Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you care about your "credit rating", and how much does it matter in Ireland?

• 05-09-2018 2:11am

This is coming solely from what I read online but my take on it is that in America, credit rating is really important and can be affected by institutions etc. which from my understanding, wouldn't be able to impact it in Ireland.

Do we even have credit scores in Ireland? Would a mortgage be rejected even if you had the upfront required and proof of income, just because you don't have a score?

I have pretty much no banking history anymore in Ireland. I paid off around 11k of debt no problem before leaving, but then my automated online savings account put my current account into overdraft and I just never bothered fixing it. I'm guessing my credit score is shot because of that mistake eight years ago.

Do you care about yours? I don't ever plan on a car loan or anything so I'm struggling to see why it'd matter.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

if you never want any loan then it dosnt matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Do I care about my credit score?

Yes.

Besides wanting to keep my side of any credit agreement (mortgage/business loan etc) having a decent credit score history can be financially beneficial to you through cheaper interest repayment rates etc.

Apart from that, you never know what lies ahead, and having access to credit is a fairly good safety net to have.

Also, your own misdemeanor is going back 8 years, I think it gets wiped afer 4/6 but am open to correction on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Do we even have credit scores in Ireland?

Yes, we do, and they're about to become a lot more significant.

Leading up to the financial crisis, many institutions made loans to individuals with dubious credit histories, which didn't work out all that well. So the government passed the Credit Reporting Act 2013, under which it will soon become compulsory for lenders to access the Central Credit Register when considering a loan application of €2,000 or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

you can also freely access your own rating

http://www.icb.ie/credit_rating.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Doesn’t matter in Ireland. Banks will just throw money at you regardless of your ability to repay. Sure ya can just stop paying your mortgage and get to live in your gaffe for years with zero consequences. Then if/when the bank eventually repossess your house, you can just call on your local Freeman group or Solidarity/PBP/AAA TD to delay your eviction as long as possible

• Advertisement
Advertisement