Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Anyone lived in a Mobile home over a year?

Options
  • 05-09-2018 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am considering living in a mobile home permanently. Renting off someone, on their land.

I have never stayed in one before.

If anyone has lived in one over a year, I'm looking for your experiences.

Thanks 👍

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭aluminium

I lived in one 30 years ago while waiting for a house to be built. It was on site.
    I was working in the UK at the time, so the stay was every other week and every weekend.

I cant remember nice things about it.
    1. condensation. It was thick in the air. Boiling potatoes turned the place into a sauna.
    2. Mud everywhere, wash the floor it would never dry.
    3. Clothes started to smell.
    4. Electricity was out of proportion with a house as the minute the heating went off the place froze.
    5. Worst of all..................anyone passing by knew when you were having sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Condensation, damp, mould, freezing cold, leaks.
    Most mobile homes basically start to rot in wintertime.

Build quality is usually very very flimsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

probably streets ahead of other options. Only you know your options though... Thing is to heat it, its a small area. but at least you have your own space and can probably save, if thats your aim...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Also bear in mind the cost. They can be at least €20k or more. Then you have to factor in how difficult it will be to sell after you are done with it.
    Moving it is also a big cost because you'll have to hire a crane etc. Probably won't shift it for less than €1k.

Tbh you'd be better off renting a room for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

Spent 7 months in one including last winter, hot in summer , fairly cold in winter! I stuck a stove in - an absolute godsend n game changer. Me, missus n 2 nippers in it while building an extension. 20k is bananas money, got ours for 2500 delivered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lcwill

#vanlife - look it up, it's pretty fashionable now

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sedohre

enricoh wrote: »
    Spent 7 months in one including last winter, hot in summer , fairly cold in winter! I stuck a stove in - an absolute godsend n game changer. Me, missus n 2 nippers in it while building an extension. 20k is bananas money, got ours for 2500 delivered
    Can I ask you, where you bought your mobile home and who delivered it? How far did they deliver it? Thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thread carefully guys.
    Living in a mobile home on land without planning permission is against the law so cannot be discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

I bought it off a lad who advertises on donedeal. He's just over the border past the carrickdale n he delivered to drogheda whatever that is maybe 30 mile. A vegetable farmer beside me has about 50 east Europeans living in them in his yard and he has permission for them anyway

It was fairly common to do this when building your house and is still done by some. When I was born my parents were living in a mobile and I lived there for my first 2 years until our house was built, I don't remember it but my parents never said it was bad and I'd guess mobiles are much better now. My aunt and her husband did the same about 20 years ago, they lived it it for a few years while building and I do know of some people doing similar in the past few years so I think it's definitely doable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

if you could get permission........

Pair of shipping containers, cut like the photo and put together, insulate / plaster slab the walls & ceilings

insulate and concrete the floor

it'd make a nice shed afterwards too

lMpbBwG.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

A good insulated shed/cabin is much more comfortable in the winter than a mobile home. Speaking from personal experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

It was fairly common to do this when building your house and is still done by some. When I was born my parents were living in a mobile and I lived there for my first 2 years until our house was built, I don't remember it but my parents never said it was bad and I'd guess mobiles are much better now. My aunt and her husband did the same about 20 years ago, they lived it it for a few years while building and I do know of some people doing similar in the past few years so I think it's definitely doable.

It was very common in the 80s for newly married couples to put a caravan in the back of their parents home, and live there with their child/children while waiting for a Council House. I think they used to get extra points for it being "unsuitable accomodation".

Advertisement