Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning controller

Options
  • 05-09-2018 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭

I got given a second hand PS4 controller, but some of the buttons are a bit sticky. What's the best way to clean it, ideally without disassembling? Is white spirits safe to use on it?
    Edit - the part that's worst affected the big square middle button.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,924 ✭✭✭✭Basq

WD40?

EDIT: Maybe spray onto a cloth and wipe as opposed to just spray it directly onto controller..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I'd say white spirits would be too strong. I'd go to the chemist and get some distilled water and some isopropyl alcohol, make up a 50-50 solution of both, and use that.

Or for a cheap solution: use baby wipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭fjon

fatbhoy wrote: »
    I'd say white spirits would be too strong. I'd go to the chemist and get some distilled water and some isopropyl alcohol, make up a 50-50 solution of both, and use that.

I looked at that, and it's not that easy to get. Frustrating as most guides online are US based and say to use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Most optician outlets give away optical wipes around the counter. These are fantastic wipes for cleaning plastics of gunk. They are a mixture of water and isopropyl.

One of my local store has a basket of Zeiss ones, very handy.

• Advertisement

fjon wrote: »
    I looked at that, and it's not that easy to get. Frustrating as most guides online are US based and say to use that.

RS Pro 500 ml Tin Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) for PCBs

They've a walk-in shop/warehouse here in Crumlin/Rialto/Drimnagh, Dublin 12.

Isopropyl alcohol is worth having around the house. It's great for cleaning greasy fingerprints of stuff like laptop screens (best to dilute it for this though) and TVs etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TinCanMan

Basq wrote: »
    WD40?

EDIT: Maybe spray onto a cloth and wipe as opposed to just spray it directly onto controller..

I can vouch for this. Worked a treat for me when the buttons started sticking on one of my controllers.

Thanks guys, I have some WD40 which is going to be the first thing I try. If that fails I'll see if I can find some isopropyl alcohol somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,924 ✭✭✭✭Basq

WD40 is miraculous stuff.. always have a spare can of it.

Had scratches all over a glass garden table... no amount of glass/window spray would lift. WD40 had it absolutely pristine within seconds.

• Advertisement

A damp cloth and an old soft toothbrush (for the cracks around buttons etc) will get most of the gunk off. IPA for anything that doesn't come off. You can get IPA in most chemists. There's some sellers on adverts also.

WD-40 leaves a sticky oil behind which then attracts dust and gunk, it is not a good choice in or around the buttons, joystick, any small cracks where the residue can't be wiped away. Its fine on the large surfaces where you can wipe afterwards.

I would be careful using alcohol based products specifically on the rubber joystick tops. Sometimes they will go gooey.

I used WD40 on it last week, sparingly. It definitely got under the buttons and the trackpad though.
    Everything worked wonderfully and the controller is like new. Hopefully what's mentioned in the above post won't happen to me.

Advertisement