Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Councillors embarrassed by tent city.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

Walked past it last week,
    One guy pissing into the river and his buddy abusing passing pedestrians, so yes tear it down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Dbu wrote: »
    One guy pissing into the river and his buddy abusing passing pedestrians, so yes tear it down
    I hadn't seen it, but got a report from a fiend of a similar incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Pass by it everyday. Used to be ok with the one guy there in his tent, but once he got the marquee the scumbag element seemed to move in/hang around there. Time for it to go I'm afraid. Actually looks really poor city/tourist-wise as well. Its a real eyesore on the quays now.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Have any of you talked to the guys on the quays at all? I have. Some interesting stories there and I would be very slow to use the blanket term 'scumbags'. 
    Where exactly does Mr Cahill expect these people to go, and why on earth does he not think this is a housing issue. Living in a tent by the river is not exactly comfortable, there is no need to be hostile to people trying to exist.
    It's hard to think of good solutions as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Anyone pissing into the river / roaring abuse at passers by is a scumbag in my eyes so yeah, i'll use that terminology for those i think deserve it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I seen it the other day and I genuinely had to take a second look to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

They should have been moved on as soon as they started to put up the tents.

Towards the end the Monaghan road, just before where the old showgrounds were, theres a narrow, yet long stretch of grass land thats overgrown and full of rubbish, you can see between the trees there is a few tents where people have setup.

I suspect these are the same group that were down the Marina a few months ago and were moved on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

I hadn't seen it, but got a report from a fiend of a similar incident.

How many fiends do you know?? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Right in front of my place. I don't mind the tents being there - the original guy who set up there seems like a real gent actually.

But there are LOTS of fights breaking out there, pretty much daily. I'd say there's a hell of a lot of theft and bullying if you're homeless in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,265 ✭✭✭✭zell12

They've been banned in Galway - even in out of the way places.
    Council confiscate them and homeless folk have zero protection from the elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

zell12 wrote: »
    They've been banned in Galway - even in out of the way places.
    Council confiscate them and homeless folk have zero protection from the elements.

Banning the tents isn't the right approach, IMO. And whoever lives there is probably (marginally) safer there than down some dark side-street. At least the Gardaí will be called if there's a serious incident where they are now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Diziet wrote: »
    Have any of you talked to the guys on the quays at all? I have. Some interesting stories there and I would be very slow to use the blanket term 'scumbags'. 
    Where exactly does Mr Cahill expect these people to go, and why on earth does he not think this is a housing issue. Living in a tent by the river is not exactly comfortable, there is no need to be hostile to people trying to exist.
    It's hard to think of good solutions as it is.

There's plenty of empty houses in the country. These people are choosing to live in a tent instead of a house. They may need to leave their comfort zone like the majority of people who have to move miles from their support as its all they can afford, while these live in a tent waiting to move into the city centre for a token rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,265 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Del2005 wrote: »
    There's plenty of empty houses in the country. These people are choosing to live in a tent instead of a house. They may need to leave their comfort zone like the majority of people who have to move miles from their support as its all they can afford, while these live in a tent waiting to move into the city centre for a token rent.
    It's not that simple.
    They might be tied to CorkCouncil housing list and another Council would send them back to Cork. Remember the only obligation the State has towards a homeless person is to register them as homeless - no requirement for food, clothing, bedding, roof etc.
    They might also have no habitual residence status and be refused homeless services and are stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

They were around by me towards the end of the good weather. I heard a lot of rustling in a disused area behind my gaff one night, I looked over the wall and the sound would stop for a few minutes, then start again. Sure enough the next morning I spotted the tent someone had been setting up.

I gave it the benefit of the doubt for a few days, thought "it's just some guy who prefers to stay away from the hassle of living on the streets", but sure enough after a couple of days I awoke around midnight to a drunk woman shouting "Ah come on, let me in, I won't be no hassle". Once she moved in and the weekend hit there was 3-5 people drinking there nightly and the litter started to accumulate. Then there was arguments about which Chinese they were ordering from etc, and random fighting.

By day 6 I was getting mocked and jeered as I was trying to call my cat in at night. Thankfully the heavens opened around day 8 and their stuff got soaked and they got lost. Naturally they left all their rubbish (and the tent and duvets) behind for someone else to clear up.

You see I'm sure it starts off pretty honestly - here's a guy on the streets who's trying to avoid the drinking rougher element. Then the others ask 'where are you set up?' and within a few days they're using a tent in the public realm as a wet hostel. When they sober up or it rains they go into the emergency accommodation, but they're back out again for the fine weather.

Allowing one tent creates a tolerance zone, and they should either create a managed site with 24-hour security or clear out the tents as soon as they go up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yes I've spoken to a couple of them, because they used to be up in the simon center near me. They fell out with someone / didn't want to follow the rules. 
    There's only so much you can do with people who don't want to / can't  engage with society. The rest of us live here too, and don't deserve our streets to be turned into landfill at the whim of these lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Unfortunately, these tent cities are going to increase in number. If you have ever been to ANY major city in California, albeit LA or San Francisco, you will notice these everywhere. These cities are turning into third world places, in a supposed first world country. Unfortunately, city officials in the main don't care and don't assist at all (despite raising taxes to "help"). The only option is to provide affordable accomodation and in the USA and in Ireland, this is not top priority, profit before people seems to be the mindset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

This wouldn't be tolerated in any other modern European city. Can you imagine this going on in the likes of Berlin or Amsterdam city centres?

They'd be hoovered up and told to make themselves scarce.

Dbu wrote: »
    .................his buddy abusing passing pedestrians, so yes tear it down

I was abused as I walked by weekend before last .......... the fooker shuts up fairly quickly when you give him a bit of abuse back, a spineless maggot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Really? I'll go over there after work and hurl some vitriol at them for the craic as I pass by on my bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

NSAman wrote: »
    Unfortunately, these tent cities are going to increase in number. If you have ever been to ANY major city in California, albeit LA or San Francisco, you will notice these everywhere. These cities are turning into third world places, in a supposed first world country. Unfortunately, city officials in the main don't care and don't assist at all (despite raising taxes to "help"). The only option is to provide affordable accomodation and in the USA and in Ireland, this is not top priority, profit before people seems to be the mindset.

Comparing the US to here is not applicable. In the US you loose all nearly social support after a few months out of work. Here people make a good living on the dole and get their rent paid for them in the middle of our biggest cities.

Both the US and Ireland have plenty of vacant homes. People need to be realistic and realise that if you are getting something for next to nothing off the government you won't get to live in next door to Mammy. I've friends who had to move over a 100km from everyone they know as that's all that they could afford, I've relatives who sold their home to move to help their daughter out. Yet people getting a home for a token rent refuse places because they are not where they grew up!

Why can people struggling to pay market rate for accommodation manage without living next door to Mammy yet people paying feck all can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

While the scum element should be removed i think the FG councillor wants it removed also because it stands out easily and it reminds people of the homeless crisis in this country and if there was an election soon, it mightn't go well for them and cost votes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Sciprio wrote: »
    While the scum element should be removed i think the FG councillor wants it removed also because it stands out easily and it reminds people of the homeless crisis in this country and if there was an election soon, it mightn't go well for them and cost votes.

To be fair, if people really voted based on HSE waiting lists, homelessness, the trolley crisis etc, the government would flip flop dramatically every election as these are mostly constant issues.

All this does visually is make the city look like crap and create an intimidating public space, and I wouldn’t question the motives of any politician that wants them moved on.

People vote with their wallets first and foremost and not on single issues. FG are more popular in the polls right now than they were before, because their voter base primarily pays for their own health insurance, and are not typically even indirectly affected by homelessness.

Those that see homelessness as the primary issue are, in my experience, not the type to have ever voted FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Del2005 wrote: »

Both the US and Ireland have plenty of vacant homes. People need to be realistic and realise that if you are getting something for next to nothing off the government you won't get to live in next door to Mammy. I've friends who had to move over a 100km from everyone they know as that's all that they could afford, I've relatives who sold their home to move to help their daughter out. Yet people getting a home for a token rent refuse places because they are not where they grew up!

Why can people struggling to pay market rate for accommodation manage without living next door to Mammy yet people paying feck all can't.

You seem to think that anyone who asks will be given a council house somewhere.
    While people do refuse council houses on the basis of location, I'd imagine most people are on the list for years before ever being offered any accommodation, if ever.
    Yes, there are lots of vacant houses around the country but these aren't available to homeless people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

MrDerp wrote: »
    To be fair, if people really voted based on HSE waiting lists, homelessness, the trolley crisis etc, the government would flip flop dramatically every election as these are mostly constant issues.

All this does visually is make the city look like crap and create an intimidating public space, and I wouldn’t question the motives of any politician that wants them moved on.

People vote with their wallets first and foremost and not on single issues. FG are more popular in the polls right now than they were before, because their voter base primarily pays for their own health insurance, and are not typically even indirectly affected by homelessness.

Those that see homelessness as the primary issue are, in my experience, not the type to have ever voted FG.
    It is in a horrible postion where the tourist buses stop so i can see that point of it as some tourists might get hassled. Yeah, I suspect that most that vote for FG aren't affected by the numerous problems we're having with housing among others.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Sciprio wrote: »
    It is in a horrible postion where the tourist buses stop so i can see that point of it as some tourists might get hassled. Yeah, I suspect that most that vote for FG aren't affected by the numerous problems we're having with housing among others.

Until they are affected...when little Ciara or Fiachra can't get student accom or a place of their own for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

This wouldn't be tolerated in any other modern European city. Can you imagine this going on in the likes of Berlin or Amsterdam city centres?

They'd be hoovered up and told to make themselves scarce.

Visit Lille check out the tent city/shanty town, (seriously its like a town) near the euro lille station / motorway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

BeansBeans wrote: »
    Visit Lille check out the tent city/shanty town, (seriously its like a town) near the euro lille station / motorway

There are currently more than 100 "bidonvilles" (shantytowns or tent cities) in Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Hide the housing problem, that the party full of landlords, is doing nothing to solve. Where our Taoiseach doesn't care about the difference between 9000 and 10000 people homeless, because even if another 1000 people are homeless, he'll never have to deal with them anyway. And most importantly now, sure, we can't have tourists seeing the reality of the country either.

Bloody disgusting attitude people have these days. Depressing, mean spirited and selfish. Wait until it happens to you. Most folks are only a few months away from homelessness these days, if a job is lost or circumstances change unexpectedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

NSAman wrote: »
    The only option is to provide affordable accomodation and in the USA and in Ireland, this is not top priority, profit before people seems to be the mindset.
    The ones outside are often the ones who can't follow the rules to stay inside.
    Yes, there are lots of vacant houses around the country but these aren't available to homeless people.
    The homeless charities help the homeless who want to be helped. Help those who abide by the rules.

Why would you give a house to someone who can't not drink so that they'd get a bed in a homeless hostel? The house would be thrashed in a matter of days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The naievity is depressing.

A house doesn't fix the problem if you are homeless. Something else caused you to be that way. Addiction, health issues (mental or otherwise), low ability or intellect, or just simply being an arsehole.

Everyone in Ireland is privileged. This is a first world country. We have education, healthcare, social support available and a culture where family help each other. To piss all of those advantages away takes a serious effort and a large set of problems.

In plenty of cases, they are incapable of independent living. We live in the city. I know our local homeless people by name, they keep getting thrown out of the shelter for being drunk and fighting with others. One enjoys exposing himself to small kids. I wouldn't put them in charge of a cat, let alone a house.

Have you ever been in social housing after a tenant has vacated? I have no appetite for building units to be repeatedly destroyed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

The problem at the moment isn’t just that. We’ve a massive shortage of housing stock due to a broken economy and dysfunctional market from 2008 onwards.

The boom is back but the supply isn't remotely meeting the demand and prices are way too high relative to income.

A significant % of the population can’t afford basic housing at the moment due to insanely high rents. A lot of people are also living in totally unsuitable housing at present and it is starting to impact the ability to recruit.

I know several cases personally where companies have lost staff who’ve either emigrated or returned to the continent due to high housing costs / poor and unsuitable housing choices here.

Also plenty of social housing is kept extremely well.

You realise that a significant % of housing in Ireland has *always* been socially supported / provided by means other than a mortgage.

If we don't get this housing crisis sorted out it will undermine economic potential here and cause a lot more problems.

We didn't have thousands of homeless people because we used to have functioning housing policy and sane pricing.

Advertisement