Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phased return to Work Pay

Options
  • 05-09-2018 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

Hi Folks, quick question on workers rights when they return to work on a phased basis. If you are off work sick for 12 weeks and are advised to return to work on a phased basis do you get paid sick pay for the days you do not work until you return to work full time?  friend of mine works for the HSE and has just been told they are not entitled to use sick leave for the days they are not working even though it is a health related issue. It doesnt sound right to me? Any insight would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭griffin100

portcrap wrote: »
    Hi Folks, quick question on workers rights when they return to work on a phased basis. If you are off work sick for 12 weeks and are advised to return to work on a phased basis do you get paid sick pay for the days you do not work until you return to work full time?  friend of mine works for the HSE and has just been told they are not entitled to use sick leave for the days they are not working even though it is a health related issue. It doesnt sound right to me? Any insight would be appreciated.

If they've been of work for 12 weeks sick then it's very likely that they've used up their sick leave entitlements and that's why they are not getting any sick pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭portcrap

Thanks for the quick reply. No they have days left over and even after that there is half pay entitlements....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Returning to work on a phased basis usually means that you go in two days the first week, three days the second... or some other format where you’re eased back into your daily routine. Generally speaking it has to be sick leave that’s being used for the “off days”. If the individual has not exhausted their paid sick days then they should be getting paid for these days off work.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭portcrap

Thanks bobbysands, just what I thought. My friend may have to get someone from legal to inform the HR department as their official advice is they cant use their sick leave entitlement for the days they are not working during the phased return. completely non sensical

Advertisement