Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interface Design Books

Options
  • 05-09-2018 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭

Humble Bundle

I saw the Humble bundle this month contains some UI/UX design books. I'm interested in having a read but don't want to invest the time if they're not worth it. Anyone read any of these or have similar suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Talisman

"Evil By Design" explains how psychology and marketing influences design concepts to create persuasive interfaces to sell products. You can read a sample chapter on the book's companion website: https://evilbydesign.info/

I had the previous edition of "About Face: The Essentials of Interaction Design". That title alone is worth more than the $15 they're asking. It's very thorough and will take some time to absorb.

Steve Krug's "Don't Make Me Think Revisited" book is another great resource on usability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Ok great thanks. I had a look at the "About face" book, a lot of the examples are based on 90s style Windows-type interfaces which had me concerned. I guess the fundamentals remain the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 bswan

We read this in final year of college, not sure how relevant it is to what you are after but the feeling i got from my lecturer at the time that anybody interested in getting into UI/UX should be reading this book

"The Design of Everyday Things (The MIT Press) revised and expanded edition Edition" by Don Norman

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Design-Everyday-Things-MIT-Press/dp/0262525674

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Talisman

Anima wrote: »
    Ok great thanks. I had a look at the "About face" book, a lot of the examples are based on 90s style Windows-type interfaces which had me concerned. I guess the fundamentals remain the same.
    I had the book around 10 years ago, from what I remember a lot of the examples focused on Microsoft products because the user interaction experience was so bad, e.g. if you saved a Word document and then printed it before trying to close it, Microsoft Word would prompt you to save the document again.

One of the key takeaway from the book is that the interfaces and interactions need to be designed from the perspective of the user and not the software engineer who knows exactly how the product works. Otherwise you are likely to end up with a product that is not very intelligible and is ineffective for the users.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

I used this for iOS design tips. Seems like he's put out more stuff since then. May be worth having a look.

• Advertisement
Advertisement