Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Describing the result of a carbon fibre bike being in a crash

Options
  • 05-09-2018 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭

We all know that if carbon fibre bikes get a serious knock then they are deemed to be structurally compromised even if nothing visible. For the purposes of an insurance claim how would you word this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

The impact was significant and as a consequence I have no confidence in the structural integrity of frame. The only avenues available are NDT of frame/fork AND a guarantee from tester(s) or an identical replacement frame/fork.

Your loss is the doubt, they have to buy that off you one way or another

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

ford2600 wrote: »
    The impact was significant and as a consequence I have no confidence in the structural integrity of frame. The only avenues available are NDT of frame/fork AND a guarantee from tester(s) or an identical replacement frame/fork.

Thanks.

I don't follow the last sentence....

Also what is an NDT please?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

tunney wrote: »
    Also what is an NDT please?

Non-destructive testing, e.g. ultrasound.

I'd be happy riding a crashed frame from a safety perspective, the issue is performance. If there is delamination in the inside of the tubes the stiffness will be compromised, so the expensive superbike is essentially reduced to a Planet X.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe describe it as similar to a bike helmet - once crashed, it's probably compromised even if damage is not visible.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,416 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Maybe you could say to them they are welcome to get it tested themselves. That may encourage a payout without further question, or indeed it could give you assurance (or otherwise) if they do try to get it tested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

ford2600 wrote: »

Speaking as a very recently Ex Insurance Professional.

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

It was the guy in Axa, the driver's insurance company, who said to me "we don't expect that you will be able to get a bike shop to certify that it is safe to use, so most likely, we will be offering you the full replacement cost". On top of that their assessor wasn't bothered travelling from Wexford to view the bike so they asked me if I would mind disposing of it myself!

I think I read somewhere that ultrasound or MRI can be carried out in the UK but at a cost of about £600-800. Others say that a meticulous tap-test is every bit as good at identifying any internal cracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

It was the guy in Axa, the driver's insurance company, who said to me "we don't expect that you will be able to get a bike shop to certify that it is safe to use, so most likely, we will be offering you the full replacement cost"......

Where's the problem though ? Just cut up the frame when you get the cheque for the full replacement cost

Advertisement