Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Late Late Show London 12th October.

1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

blinding wrote: »
    Nigel Farage does not want the Eu running his Country = A perfectly Valid Political Argument .

Nigel Farage does not want Mass Immigration into his Country = A perfectly valid Political Argument .

Nigel Farage wants his Country to Control its own Laws , Sovereignty , Currency and Borders = A perfectly Valid Political Argument .

Farage and his ilk don't half mind interfering in others countries' laws and sovereignty, putting up borders and well, mass immigrating to them.

But then again, you just can't get that....

No matter how hard you try.

That's why Brexiteers have such a weak hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

Farage and his ilk don't half mind interfering in others countries' laws and sovereignty, putting up borders and well, mass immigrating to them.

But then again, you just can't get that....

No matter how hard you try.

That's why Brexiteers have such a weak hand.

Did Enda not go to the UK to try influence a no vote in the vote to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

For me, this comment on *cough* Broadsheet summed up last night’s show perfectly...

I really was hoping it wasn’t gonna descend in to the usual outdated, victim hood, self absorbed crap we get up to when we turn on the lamentable paddy overseas routine but inevitably it did. It rapidly slithered down a felling sorry for ourselves – both past and present – route and was occasionally spattered with an almost now comically cliched dose of “ah sure aren’t we great all the same” ism. Gas stuff. Turn up in London to pat ourselves on the back and spend half the show feeling hard done by. Cringe. It was like turning on Radio Telifis Eireann in 1984.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

yrreg0850 wrote: »
    And as usual he fooked that up as well .:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Nigel Farage does not want the Eu running his Country = A perfectly Valid Political Argument .

Nigel Farage does not want Mass Immigration into his Country = A perfectly valid Political Argument .

Nigel Farage wants his Country to Control its own Laws , Sovereignty , Currency and Borders = A perfectly Valid Political Argument .

Alastair Campbell is a War Criminal and an Irish Audience cheers him = A very sick Irish Audience .

kind of like the modern reaction to GW Bush, who is seen as a funny, grandfatherly chracter, while Trump is Satan. In reality Bush is responsible for terrible war crimes, while Trump hasn't actually done anything too awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

walshb wrote: »
    He’s right...Irish people are not migrants in Britain...

She’s a waffler!

Totally disgree with this. I defininely feel that Britain is a foreign country to me and I know plenty of people who have emigrated there from Ireland.

We are similar in some ways, due to their colonisation of Ireland but very different in so many and the culture and outlook on life is very different as evidenced during this Brexit period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

For me, this comment on *cough* Broadsheet summed up last night’s show perfectly...

I really was hoping it wasn’t gonna descend in to the usual outdated, victim hood, self absorbed crap we get up to when we turn on the lamentable paddy overseas routine but inevitably it did. It rapidly slithered down a felling sorry for ourselves – both past and present – route and was occasionally spattered with an almost now comically cliched dose of “ah sure aren’t we great all the same” ism. Gas stuff. Turn up in London to pat ourselves on the back and spend half the show feeling hard done by. Cringe. It was like turning on Radio Telifis Eireann in 1984.

In fairness this criticism really covers everything. Since England is a foreign country it's hard to avoid the "Paddy overseas routine". What's the alternative...……pretend London is actually in county Meath or something?

Then all commentary is reduced to either "patting ourselves on the back" or "feeling hard done by" with no in-between at all.

I think the commentator who wrote this has "cringe" as the default setting and quite possible (to be fair, unlike many posters here on this thread from what I can read) watches the Late Late Show only to see who they can hate the most. Why in the name of Jaysus do people not just change channel if the thing upsets them so much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

murpho999 wrote: »
    Totally disgree with this. I defininely feel that Britain is a foreign country to me and I know plenty of people who have emigrated there from Ireland.

We are similar in some ways, due to their colonisation of Ireland but very different in so many and the culture and outlook on life is very different as evidenced during this Brexit period.

Of course it is a foreign country but the point being made, quite correctly, by Nigel Farrage was that Ireland is incomparable to all other countries as it has had no restrictions on movement to and from the UK. That journalist, in trying to tackle Farrage's argument on immigration control, decided to appeal to the masses in the crowd by lumping the Irish in with all others when as Farrage pointed out the point was irrelevant.

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Of course it is a foreign country but the point being made, quite correctly, by Nigel Farrage was that Ireland is incomparable to all other countries as it has had no restrictions on movement to and from the UK. That journalist, in trying to tackle Farrage's argument on immigration control, decided to appeal to the masses in the crowd by lumping the Irish in with all others when as Farrage pointed out the point was irrelevant.
    Farage is well able for them . He has took on more capable opponents than that lot and wiped the floor with them .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yes he did. Irish citizens in the U.K. were entitled to vote in the EU referendum, so it would make absolute sense for our Taoiseach to go there and try to get them (and any others who’d listen) to vote in a way that would not damage our own countries interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

murpho999 wrote: »

As (ROI) Irish citizens we are treated no differently to other EU citizens in claiming UK citizenship.
    So they may like to think and say we are different, but we aren't really.

https://www.gov.uk/british-citizenship

Purely personal but I know I certainly felt liked i had emigrated when I left ireland to live there in the 90s.

Yes he did. Irish citizens in the U.K. were entitled to vote in the EU referendum, so it would make absolute sense for our Taoiseach to go there and try to get them (and any others who’d listen) to vote in a way that would not damage our own countries interests.

It was not an EU referendum, it was purely a domestic poll but, of course Enda had to do what he was told to do by Angela M.

That is the type of thing the British voted against .

When we voted no to Maastrecht treaty, Enda did what he was told and held second referendum and, would possibly have held a third until he got the right answer for Angela

In 1973, they like us, joined an economic union not a united states of europe.

When we voted no to Maastrecht treaty, Enda did what he was told and held second referendum

In 1992 we only had 1 referendum for the Maastricht Treaty!!

The Fiscal Compact in 2012 also only needed 1 referendum!

Perhaps your dates are muddled, What other EU referendums did we have while Enda was Taoiseach that needed a 2nd referendum to get over the line?

In 1992 we only had 1 referendum for the Maastricht Treaty!!

The Fiscal Compact in 2012 also only needed 1 referendum!

Perhaps your dates are muddled, What other EU referendums did we have while Enda was Taoiseach that needed a 2nd referendum to get over the line?

Sorry my mistake. I should have said treaty of LIsbon 2008 -- rejected 2009--- passed after second attempt.

Sorry my mistake. I should have said treaty of LIsbon 2008 -- rejected 2009--- passed after second attempt.

Enda Kenny wasn’t Taoiseach for the Lisbon treaty,

And after we rejected the 1st version, the wording was changed to give Ireland certain reassurances on certain matters and we then passed it. Democratic process working as it should work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Laura Whitmore is a pain in the hole, the other girl she came on with - never heard of her, was more interesting and down to earth.

Goodnight and God Bless

Laura Whitmore is the best female Irish presenter on British TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Laura Whitmore is the best female Irish presenter on British TV.

Elizabeth bonnin would get my vote there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Powerhouse wrote: »

The free travel zone does not mean that you're not a foreigner when in the UK which is what Farage was trying to say.
    He said that people who moved to the UK are not migrants because of the free travel zone which is totally incorrect and shows a lack of understanding by the British about being Irish.
    This has also been shown by the ignorant comments a few weeks ago by David Davies about British people buying pints with pounds in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

doylefe wrote: »
    Thought this was an Irish based show. Since when is Antrim in Ireland?

since the land bridge with "the mainland" sank beneath the waves. Duh. :confused::confused:

jay0109 wrote: »
    4 + the crowd v's Farage

Er no. Halligan is a brexiteer. As you would know if you listened to a word he said.
    Two v two on the panel, with Cambell's supporting act a bit of a lightweight.

• Advertisement

I see the Late Late Show Locked out the Irish Emigrants in London .

No Change from the Irish Elite there . Keep everything thats going for themselves .

Berserker wrote: »
    Oh and the people of NI don't want to leave the UK.

You see, that's the problem with Brexit. Somebody in Northern Ireland has to lose now. There's got to be a border somewhere: either that between the six NI counties (well the five with a national border) and RoI or in the Irish Sea.

The latter will see the Unionists scream "Sellout"; the former will give two fingers to the Ulster nationalists and to those people in the south (like me) who voted in good faith to remove articles 2 and 3 on the grounds that as we were both in the EU it was possible to reword them in more aspirational and touchy feely terms. But now the Brexiteers and the hardline unionists who supported them in the north are saying "Sorry suckers. The border's coming back. Tough!"

Farage was talking absolute nonsense when he said the common travel area can stay because we had one for 100 years. Yes. We had one when we were both out of the EU/EC/EEC and we had one when we were both in but when one is in and one is out......No can do.

The line he parroted with a triumphant "Gotcha!" that the EU had nothing to do with the GFA and that it was the wonderful Americans who brokered it is also disingenuous. The GFA was only possible because both countries were in the EU. Now that it's one in and one out, it's going to come apart at the seams. Unless one side accepts a hard border somewhere.

The likes of Rees Mogg and even Farage have a simple answer to this when pushed: Ireland leaves the EU. Don't we all hate it anyway?

There will be blood over Brexit. Inevitable. Sadly it won't be any of those smug home counties twats like Farage, Johnson or Rees Mogg.

Berserker wrote: »
    The GFA is a failure. Look at NI at the moment. More peace walls than ever. The government is a failure. The Germans, French etc don't give a toss about Ireland. We saw that when times got tough during the crash.

So let's go back to the way it was between 1968 and 1998 then. That would be much better.

Or even better, back to the way it was BEFORE 1968. Put that to people in Belfast or Derry. See how far you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Didn't see the show but what exactly was the point of doing it in london? None of the guests were guests they couldn't have in Dublin.

Finbar furey on AGAIN? He sings the same thing over and over again. I'm sure he was on this year already??

Just saw a clip with the 4 on the couch and Tubs goes "lads, no wonder ye'r in a mess!" - que laughs and claps from the crowd. Bet Tubs thought he was absolutely class there putting the english down. Would like to see how great Tubs would be in their situation. Pompous git.

Does he not realise Ireland is built on foreign direct investment and if one major multinational left we'd be up **** creek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Elizabeth bonnin would get my vote there.

She is very good.David Attenborough can never be replaced,but Liz would be a very able person to carry on his great work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

She is very good.David Attenborough can never be replaced,but Liz would be a very able person to carry on his great work.

yeah, she comes across as a down to earth intelligent person who is passionate about stuff that is actually interesting and meaningful.

A far cry from the celeb obsessed yolks that seem to be taking over television.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

In this day and age the old narrative of the poor oul emigrants exiled to London for life is a bit silly-I could walk out my front door in D9 at 6pm and be sitting down to dinner in the West End at 8 whereas someone from the north of Scotland would need most of a day to get there.

I’m looking forward to hearing Ryan on the radio tomorrow morning, patting himself on the back for a job well done and making absolutely no mention of the chaos outside :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Didn't see the show but what exactly was the point of doing it in london? None of the guests were guests they couldn't have in Dublin.

Finbar furey on AGAIN? He sings the same thing over and over again. I'm sure he was on this year already??

Just saw a clip with the 4 on the couch and Tubs goes "lads, no wonder ye'r in a mess!" - que laughs and claps from the crowd. Bet Tubs thought he was absolutely class there putting the english down. Would like to see how great Tubs would be in their situation. Pompous git.

Does he not realise Ireland is built on foreign direct investment and if one major multinational left we'd be up **** creek.

i'd always bet against a smug rte consensus. reminds me of irish politicians laughing at germany and their slow economic growth around 06/07

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

And as usual he fooked that up as well .:D

To be fair to Inda, I think you'll find that his time in England to lobby for a Remain Vote coincided with the 24 hour moratorium on campaigning that all sides agreed to honour following the murder of Jo Cox MP.

Not really his fault on that occasion.

• Advertisement

It was not an EU referendum, it was purely a domestic poll but, of course Enda had to do what he was told to do by Angela M.

So were our Lisbon and Nice referendums. There was no requirement on any country to decide their attitude to these by referendum; that was an entirely a matter for individual countries to decide for themselves.

It was the IRISH constitution, not the EU one (which doesn't exist anyway) that mandated those polls. Of course they had an effect on the EU as a whole (just as Brexit does) but they were our own domestic affairs.

Farage wasn't entitled to lobby here because he is a European (or was). It's because we have a modicum of freedom of speech here. Even for foreigners.
    That is the type of thing the British voted against .
    Yeah. A disingenuous mis-statement at best; a downright lie at worst.

When we voted no to Maastrecht treaty,
    er, we didn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

€100k or so might be a starting point.

:pac:

iw-2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

On a point of order, that front page says "first Late Late Show in London for 50 years did not ..."

That's a load of bollix, it was there in 1980

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2018/1003/1000719-late-late-show-in-london/

They can't even do their research on that, it's no wonder their readers couldn't read their tickets properly and get their arses in gear to get in the queue in time.

London does not deserve the Late Late Show.

It was broadcast from Wexford a few years ago and everyone had a grand time and didn't get turned away because they turned up late.

Look and learn, London.

image0041.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I’m looking forward to hearing Ryan on the radio tomorrow morning, patting himself on the back for a job well done and making absolutely no mention of the chaos outside :D

Smug Level: Very High

But in fairness did mention the issues outside. Said he personally went out. Did selfies. Invited those who had tickets but did not get access to email and they would be 'doing something'.

Rte is for the Irish Elite to look down on the rest of the Irish people .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That Irish World piece was pretty well balanced, several chips on each shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Thoughts on Norton?

What's he on about how the young people are involved in politics now. Yeah, sure, maybe if you look at the referendum where it's an easy choice and chance to virtue signal or bring some "witty" poster to get some likes on facebook or twitter, then yeah they do.....but general elections they haven't a clue.

They're too busy looking for memes, on snapchat or listening to GAA podcasts than vote in things that affect them day to day.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Thoughts on Norton?

What's he on about how the young people are involved in politics now. Yeah, sure, maybe if you look at the referendum where it's an easy choice and chance to virtue signal or bring some "witty" poster to get some likes on facebook or twitter, then yeah they do.....but general elections they haven't a clue.

They're too busy looking for memes, on snapchat or listening to GAA podcasts than vote in things that affect them day to day.
    Norton is good at being a silly chat show host . He should stick to that but he isn’t smart enough to do that .

• Advertisement
Advertisement